Big Boy Restoration

Now that is cool. I wonder what they will do with it once it is back in operation? Tour the country? That would be a very popular attraction in any town.

If I had a nickel for every 4014 or big boy thread I've seen today, well… It might amount to something above $.25. I would love to go see it though, they are saying 2017-2019 when she/he will run again.

I am sure it will pull excursion trains just like the 844 & 3985. I have been lucky enough to have had the opportunity to ride behind both. Right now the 3985 is in the Cheyenne shops being overhauled. It will take a very long time to get the 4014 operational after sitting static for so many years.

Now that is cool. I wonder what they will do with it once it is back in operation? Tour the country? That would be a very popular attraction in any town.
It will definitely go into excursion service with the 844 and 3985, BUT it will have more limitations on where it can go. So much track in the USA has been downgraded to class 4 or even class 3. That was always the question, "If you restore it where will you run it". For a while it was speculated it would only be able to go from Green River to Omaha. Even the 844 can't go to Seattle anymore. Last time it was there it had "cornering" problems with the 8 coupled driving wheels. The 3985 can go more places since it is only a 6 couple but its weight limits it in another way. The 4014 will have both those restrictions - weight and curve, sooo.. who knows.

I'm not even certain it will be able to come to Denver. The Cheyenne to Denver route is often used to test the other two. It for certain won't be able to go on the old Kansas Pacific line. Note the light rail and how humpy and lumpy it is:
SmithRoadSmall.JPG

BUT they have been working like mad up-grading the Cheyenne to Denver track, so maybe it isn't just flood repair and PTC improvements. It would be really nice if it could roll into Union Station for the grand re-opening in a couple years.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be severely limited to where it can go. 3985 has limitations because there are few locations where it can be turned, and this will be the same for 4014, if not worse. I know that Denver has a wye big enough to get it done, but I'm sure that the UP knows where these points are, but it will be years before 4014 hits the rails for service. I'll make the trip to Cheyenne just to see it move under its own power.

I am sure it will pull excursion trains just like the 844 & 3985. I have been lucky enough to have had the opportunity to ride behind both. Right now the 3985 is in the Cheyenne shops being overhauled. It will take a very long time to get the 4014 operational after sitting static for so many years.
I'm sure it will be done carefully, just note the railroads could overhaul a steam engine in 2 weeks during steam days.
When the freedom train was looking for another engine to run, they looked at Reading 2101, and hit on it for a month and brought it back to operation.

2017-2019 sounds realistic, "when its done", 765 took 4 years from its initial restoration (I helped and filmed it all)
There's been long discussions where it could run, the bottom line came, system wide! It can get around curves the 4-12-2 couldn't. It was more designed to run the Sherman Hill, but its not restricted over the rest of the system as far as curves go.

I went out and watched the entire move this weekend and it was nice to see it back on the move again. It's going to be in Colton until March to make it road worthy then it'll move to Cheyenne. I'll have to post up some of the pictures I took

Why does it take so long to restore? Can't UP hire like a bunch of people and have them work on it day and night? Or the process can't be sped up?

It isn't as easy as you think. You have to have people who know steam locomotives and are qualified to do the work. 3985 has been in the shops for over a year now, and it was in running condition when it went in. That Big Boy has been sitting since god knows when, somewhere in the 60's I believe. They have to get a lot of work done to it before they and even move it to Cheyenne. I could be wrong, but I believe that a lot of the people who do work on the steamers in Cheyenne are volunteers.

The start of the journey, 4014 is moving, sort of. Take a close look as the front loader is pulling the locomotive. The drivers weren't turning at times. There is a lot of work that has to be done before it is moved to Cheyenne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lcwPHuEMuY

There is flat out a lot of work to do on it. The reason they choose this one is because it was in the best condition of the ones out there. The museum maintained the boiler and firebox and lived everything in anticipation that it would be restored one day. Even with all that there is a ton to do. Without all that effort this may have never happened. We're talking about a big piece of steel that's been sitting out in the elements for the past 50+ years.

The start of the journey, 4014 is moving, sort of. Take a close look as the front loader is pulling the locomotive. The drivers weren't turning at times. There is a lot of work that has to be done before it is moved to Cheyenne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lcwPHuEMuY

They've done a bit of work since November, though. It's at least tow-worthy now, at least at very slow speed and for a few miles. The part I found funny was the piece of vine still stuck in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92RudhXFqos&feature=youtu.be

They towed it more than a few miles. It went on a 50 mile trip last Sunday at 20mph.

Yes it did. Considering its eventual journey, it seemed that "a few miles" was an accurate representation of that portion. I apologize profusely for not being more precise.

BTW, on a completely unrelated topic (seriously, nothing at ALL to do with this thread), is there a "rolling eyes" icon available for posts? Ah, yes, I found it...never mind.

Why does it take so long to restore? Can't UP hire like a bunch of people and have them work on it day and night? Or the process can't be sped up?
Well, 1. All the parts and pieces have to be removed carefully so they don't break the part or bolt that is holding it on and cause more issues. The type of person who just tries to force everything and has no idea of what finesse is will cause a restoration project to go longer. There are other issues to deal with like asbestos removal and new safety standards that have to be somehow retrofitted.
2. Who would they hire? I can't think of a single person who is both under the age of 80 and knowledgeable of steam locomotive construction/maintenance but who is not already working on some restoration project. Do you want them to stop the work on the 3985? Where would they get the money to hire all these people? The board of directors has only allocated so much to this little effort. There are still customers expecting their cargo to be delivered, stock holders expecting to get a return on their investment, and regular employees who still want a pay check. Finally the "mythical man month" principle applies. Nine women cannot make a baby in 1 month.

Unlike what some other people on the forum on the other side of the track seem to think, UP is not doing this because they "care". It is a politically inspired carefully crafted tight rope wire walk that an expected return on investment from marketing, public relations, and brand recognition has been used to justify. They do expect a return on the investment. One wrong step and the project can fall off that wire. There is a lot of publicity in the restoration project. Why rush it and suddenly incur operating costs too?

Yes it did. Considering its eventual journey, it seemed that "a few miles" was an accurate representation of that portion. I apologize profusely for not being more precise.

BTW, on a completely unrelated topic (seriously, nothing at ALL to do with this thread), is there a "rolling eyes" icon available for posts? Ah, yes, I found it...never mind.

Considering the videos posted it seemed some of you might have been less up to date then others and I was merely pointing out it had done more then move across a parking lot. Excuse me for offending your delicate sensibilities.

Considering the videos posted it seemed some of you might have been less up to date then others and I was merely pointing out it had done more then move across a parking lot. Excuse me for offending your delicate sensibilities.

No sensibilities offended at all. I was more mocking your ability to not realize that video was really recent (like posted today by UP recent) and that the comment accompanying it was up to date. Just pay more attention in the future, okay?

Back