Best sound!!

CbarM

HO all the way!
I am getting into DCC and I have 2 Altas units now with QSI sound that run on DC. I am absolutley hooked on sound and am really looking forward to getting my NCE DCC starter set up in a month or 2. I would like to convert some of my other units to sound (Spectrum dash 8's, Athearn RTR GP60's, Blue box SD40-2's) and I am kinda curious if you guys have opinions on which is better, QSI or Sountraxx Tsunami. Which of these 2 have the most prototypical sound? Cost is not a big concern as I wont be doing them all in one month, mayne one a month or so but ease of install will be a slight concern as I am not good at weilding a solder iron yet, but learning...

What about ESU Loksound V4 then?
I take it over a Tsunami any day of the week......
All recorded sounds, and user definable.

Im very happy with QSI
Great sound, much better than tsunami, which my IM SD40-2W came with.
Plus it have all the functions outputs for cab, ditch, numberboard light. who can ask for more?

Still waiting though for the titan-A :)

Blue box engines are a good place to start. There is a learning curve involved and with the blue box kits if you screw up you won't be out much money. Practice your soldering before you start. I am hooked on sound as well but I opted to use inexpensive Digitrax SDH164D's. They run only about $39 so you can afford to convert more engines on a budget and the speaker is included. I figure it would cost $20 to convert the decoder so for an extra $20 I get cheap sound. Cheap sound is better than no sound in my opinion. The digitrax decoders are not a Tsunami by any means though. I made about 6 conversions so then I invested in a PR3 programmer so I could customize the sound projects. Here is a vid of my DCC/sound conversion on my HO Thomas. He has an N scale sound decoder from digitrax to save space.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvwtbeC0Gyo&context=C3a7d5d3ADOEgsToPDskImP5cxrT78zOe5QJlKIeAb
Best of luck
-Art

QSI seems OK, but can be tempermental at times,:rolleyes:

LokSound has a limited library, plus you have to buy another unit (programmer) if you want to customize sounds:eek:($$$$)

Personally, I use Tsunami's with QSI speakers and they sound great!!

see Tony's Train exchange's website for thier speaker test, the 8 ohm mini oval fits almost anything and kicks butt!! :D
http://www.tonystrains.com/productcompare/speaker_comp.htm

Great info guys!!! Keep it coming as now I am slightly torn between Tsunami n QSI....
One thing that came to mind...does either of these 2 make a fully functional decoder? Meaning one that will operate lighting n movement along with the sound?

Yes they are all fully functional decoders. You can run sounds (horn/bell) while operating multiple lights headlights, ditchlights, etc. on both Tsunami and QSI.

I think the new QSI Titan has surpassed Tsunami in features and sound quality. The Titan has 2 speaker stereo sound and 10 lighting functions!
http://qsisolutions.com/products/q-titan.html

OK thats great!! Now something else I was wondering about...is the sound programable for different prime movers? I have 5 Dash 8-40CW's and also 3 GP60's that I want the proper sound for...and after those are done, I will be looking at converting my 6 Athearn BB SD40-2's to sound as well...

For after-market decoder installations, it has been hard to beat the Soundtraxx Tsunami since its release in 2006. However, QSI was the leader until then, and they haven't been sitting on their hands. Their Revolution series brought them up to par, and in some cases with sounds of steam and diesel, surpassed the Tsunami. Lately, the Titans have become the new darling. I have several Tsunamis and like them. Some folks don't know how, or won't go to the trouble, to fine-tune their low-end response for motor control at speeds of less than three scale mph. Their loss.

The Titan is the new kid on the block, and he looks to be pretty buff. Stereo sound, new sound files, and way ahead of the QSI's found in the earlier Paragon Series of locomotives in BLI steamers, and better than their same period Atlas diesels. I have one coming to me today for a new Spectrum Heavy Mountain in C&O livery. You might want to fall off the fence on this side and give one a try. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
What about ESU Loksound V4 then?
I take it over a Tsunami any day of the week......
All recorded sounds, and user definable.

You need to buy a separate programmer to get custom sounds. You also need to be a very good audio editor to make them sound good. Otherwise, you're stuck with the stock sounds which aren't as good as the Tsunami.

Yes they are all fully functional decoders. You can run sounds (horn/bell) while operating multiple lights headlights, ditchlights, etc. on both Tsunami and QSI.

I think the new QSI Titan has surpassed Tsunami in features and sound quality. The Titan has 2 speaker stereo sound and 10 lighting functions!
http://qsisolutions.com/products/q-titan.html

QSI Titan is all fluff and no stuff. It's all the same sound files as before, only with better audio. If you want fake sounds with stereo capability and 10 lighting functions, then get a QSI Titan.

I think the Tsunami has better sounds but QSI is close behind. I do like QSI equpped loco's better though because I like their motor controls much better. The Regulated Throttle Control makes consisting a breeze.

I've recently realised that I'll need to swap out the TCS decoders I currently have when I want sound. Does anyone know how the BEMF compares on the decoders being mentioned to the TCS ones?

The QSI Titans have a nice list of features, especially the sound channels, but it's hard enough to fit one speaker in an N loco, nevermind two. :( I still have my heart set on some LokSounds for now.

"Best" can be very subjective. I think Tsunami has the best prime mover sound, QSI has the best bells and horns/whistles, and Digitrax is the easiest to configure. I like the way I can get the prime mover sound to ramp up before moving with the QSI and the BLI Paragon2 derivative. Advanced consisting with QSI can be tricky, Digitrax consists the same way for their non-sound stuff (convenient), but their sounds are "tinny".
I like the SOUND of the MRC decoders better than I like the SOUND of the QSI and Digitrax, but the motor control issues of the MRC make that choice really not worth the trouble.

I've recently realised that I'll need to swap out the TCS decoders I currently have when I want sound. Does anyone know how the BEMF compares on the decoders being mentioned to the TCS ones?

The QSI Titans have a nice list of features, especially the sound channels, but it's hard enough to fit one speaker in an N loco, nevermind two. :( I still have my heart set on some LokSounds for now.

Back EMF is quirky on digitrax SDH164D decoders. If you blow the horn in diesel mode the engine slows dramaticaly. In steam mode it works properly (at least that's my experience) Only option is to turn off back EMF :mad:
-Art

I listened to several comparisons on line. I don't recall the web site. Anyway, the Loksound seems to jump from one sound bite to the next one for engine ramp ups rather than a smooth transition like the Tsunami does. So if you just want noise but you're not to concerned about realism, use Loksound. If you want a more prototype sound, use the Tsunami.

I listened to several comparisons on line. I don't recall the web site. Anyway, the Loksound seems to jump from one sound bite to the next one for engine ramp ups rather than a smooth transition like the Tsunami does. So if you just want noise but you're not to concerned about realism, use Loksound. If you want a more prototype sound, use the Tsunami.

It seems you judge Loksound decoders of very old vintage.....
The Loksound V4 (have you heard one?), have a very nice sound!
It features stereo AND the best motor drive on the market as far as I know.
I have decoders from the biggest Mfg's, and the Tsunami, while good, needs an update in the function department.....
The Paragon 2 is very good compared to the old QSI.

Back