Beginner with a basic wiring question

zenmom42

Hello hello hello! I'm new to this board, and sort of new /not-new to HO model railroads. My dad & I set up our HO train board every Christmas when I was growing up, and I inherited it in due course of time and continued the tradition. Recently I looked at the 80+ year old wiring and decided to strip the old tracks & wiring and start over (will keep the same HO rolling stock). To make it as simple as possible, this year anyhow, I laid out a simple snap-together oval track on the 4' x 5' train board. No turnouts, no additional tracks, just the most basic oval. I pulled the Tech II Railmaster 2400 transformer out of the train gear box. And... realized I don't have the wires to hook it up, and am kind of fuzzy on exactly how to go about that. I'm sure it's simple. I'm perfectly qualified to strip the end of a wire and connect it, but I need to know what KIND of wire and WHAT to connect to WHAT.

I'd be eternally grateful if someone could coach me on this most basic of tasks, so I can get the rolling stock rolling before Christmas Eve.

I've attached pictures of the old track, the old wiring, and the new single oval track. You can see that this isn't a large project, but one that means a lot to me b/c of its family history.

Next year I plan to install DCC wiring, so I'd also be interested in advice on the most basic DCC set-up. What kind of wiring, how to go about it. I'm interested in the possibilities of DCC sound modules, and I wonder if it could also control lights in the houses on the layout. I've got a couple of books on DCC wiring, but the instructions aren't basic enough on the actual, physical steps involved. My dad taught me how to solder, but it's been a looong time since I've done any of that.

Hope all of you are having a good holiday season so far, and thanks in advance for any advice you might have for me.

Attachments

• train board - old track 02 ed.jpg
    train board - old track 02 ed.jpg
    631.7 KB · Views: 44
  • train board - old wires 01 ed.jpg
    train board - old wires 01 ed.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 39
  • train board - new oval 01 ed.jpg
    train board - new oval 01 ed.jpg
    795.6 KB · Views: 40
Pretty easy. you'll need the track leads from your transformer for train power, and a daisy chain of lights, one to each building that can be run form the AC side of your transformer, or a separate power supply depending on what you have.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you!

That looks like Bachmann EZ Track. They make a power connector that plugs into the side of the terminal track. The terminal track is the straight track that is different from the others with black plastic in the center. The other end of the power connector should be bare wire. Attach one wire to each terminal on the transformer. If there is more than one pair of connections on the transformer, use the pair that says track.

If you can't get a Bachmann power connector wire, you can use almost any wire, speaker wire will work. The wire you have will work. You will need two wires, each long enough to go from the track to the transformer. You will have to connect to the bottom of any piece of track. I can't remember if EZ track has connectors on the bottom. You may have to solder them.

This will make it easy and it's cheap! $10.20 If it is Bachmann EZ track.

Bachmann Trains - Snap-Fit E-Z Track 9” Straight Terminal Rerailer w/Wire (1/card) - Nickel Silver Rail With Gray Roadbed - HO Scale​

1702932568216.png

As the others have said. For the track it is a matter of finding the wire with plug on one side and lugs on the other, or soldering wires to the two metal fingers on the terminal track you have (yellow and green). Connect those to the "track" terminals on the MRC Tech II.
Probably cheaper to buy a whole new terminal track with wire with lugs as Bruette indicates than to buy a wire separately! The ones I saw separate have plugs on both ends which one would have to cut off to connect to the MRC Tech II.
Bachman Wiring.jpg

For the building lights you would run wires of each to the "accessory" terminals on the MRC Tech II. Make certain lamp voltage matches power output. OR there is a new thing for layout lighting that Woodland Scenics has a new product out called "just plug" some of it on the link below.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=woodland+scenics+just+plug&crid=10U5BVR1LCJOO&sprefix=woodland+,aps,158&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_5_9

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you!

That looks like Bachmann EZ Track. They make a power connector that plugs into the side of the terminal track. The terminal track is the straight track that is different from the others with black plastic in the center. The other end of the power connector should be bare wire. Attach one wire to each terminal on the transformer. If there is more than one pair of connections on the transformer, use the pair that says track.

If you can't get a Bachmann power connector wire, you can use almost any wire, speaker wire will work. The wire you have will work. You will need two wires, each long enough to go from the track to the transformer. You will have to connect to the bottom of any piece of track. I can't remember if EZ track has connectors on the bottom. You may have to solder them.

This will make it easy and it's cheap! $10.20 If it is Bachmann EZ track.

Bachmann Trains - Snap-Fit E-Z Track 9” Straight Terminal Rerailer w/Wire (1/card) - Nickel Silver Rail With Gray Roadbed - HO Scale​

View attachment 178237
Yes, I have that piece. Just don't have the wire.

As the others have said. For the track it is a matter of finding the wire with plug on one side and lugs on the other, or soldering wires to the two metal fingers on the terminal track you have (yellow and green). Connect those to the "track" terminals on the MRC Tech II.
Probably cheaper to buy a whole new terminal track with wire with lugs as Bruette indicates than to buy a wire separately! The ones I saw separate have plugs on both ends which one would have to cut off to connect to the MRC Tech II.
View attachment 178248

For the building lights you would run wires of each to the "accessory" terminals on the MRC Tech II. Make certain lamp voltage matches power output. OR there is a new thing for layout lighting that Woodland Scenics has a new product out called "just plug" some of it on the link below.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=woodland+scenics+just+plug&crid=10U5BVR1LCJOO&sprefix=woodland+,aps,158&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_5_9
Thanks! I'll look at this.

Note that there are 3 sets of terminals on the Tech II Railmaster 2400 transformer, DC-var, AC-fixed, and DC-fixed. Use the DC-var for the track, as those terminals are controlled by the rheostat. Lights can be controlled by either of the other two sets, AC or DC; light bulbs don't care. I'd use the one with the lower voltage because it will make the bulbs last longer. I could tell you which one, but mine is in the train shed 150' away and it's dark. Plus, the neighborhood skunk might be lurking out nearby. I'll look tomorrow.

I just ordered this:

12FT 18 GA. HO,N BACHMANN EZ TRACK POWER CABLE​

which looks like it has the right connectors.

Attachments

• EZ Track power cable 01.jpg
    EZ Track power cable 01.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 21
I just ordered this:

12FT 18 GA. HO,N BACHMANN EZ TRACK POWER CABLE​

which looks like it has the right connectors.

Perfect!

Well done, enjoy your trains and Happy Holidays!

If you can and have time a photo of your tree and train would be much appreciated! Christmas Trees, Trains and More
Note that there are 3 sets of terminals on the Tech II Railmaster 2400 transformer, DC-var, AC-fixed, and DC-fixed. Use the DC-var for the track, as those terminals are controlled by the rheostat. Lights can be controlled by either of the other two sets, AC or DC; light bulbs don't care. I'd use the one with the lower voltage because it will make the bulbs last longer.
Very important information that I failed to mention.

Back