Beginner Mistakes

EvoMan454

Train Noob
I am still a beginner, but have learned some things and am curious to know what were your mistakes you made when beginning the hobby?

My mistake was going out before reading anything and purchasing several hundred dollars of life like Power Loc track just to find out I would use Atlas code 83 track in the end. Now I am still disappointed that I did but I will get over it. Do you regret anything?

That I am impatient.

That I had to make so many mistakes that were preventable if I weren't so impatient.

That the preventable mistakes I made through my impatience cost me a whole layout and tons of EZ-Track.

That I built that first layout a year before we finished the basement...it meant a teardown. (Darn, eh...) :p

That I didn't take my time to finish the surface of my spline roadbed better. I rushed into track laying and have had hours of repairs to show for it.

Maybe it would be good to have a thread about what we don't regret.

buying that huge box of brass track at my first model meet. Damn those guys had a stupid grin on their face, I thought.

I was blown away by the deal I got.Till i got home and told a friend by email.

I think the biggest mistake is trying to model something real to scale size on your layout, unless you have a 50x50 foot room to work with, your layout will not be complete, you will only have a couple factories and a railroad yard, no housing,gas stations, schools etc....

I can relate to the first two. Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I wanted wider curves and to ballast but it's impossible to ballast Power Loc track since the roadbed is permanent. And the widest curves allowed are 22' curves... yuck! So I am buying atlas code 83. I think it was me to rush and get trains running, but now I ave took a few months to plan, read guides, studied DCC, and listed all my givens and druthers. Now I have a complete plan and will finish buying my bench work. Pretty soon I'll be posting progress if something else doesn't go wrong (Something always go wrong) So I have to have patience.

I regret bringing my trains to my Local Model train club, I havent been down in 2 months and have poop for an idea of what may have happened to them.......

Probably falling in love with--and buying a lot of--big articulated brass steam before I realized that I had to have a layout with curves big enough to actually RUN them. Gee, I thought, 24" ought to be a big enough radius, right? WRONG!

However, when I negotiated the entire California Basement (garage) in my home, and realized that I COULD build a layout with a minimum 34" radius, I was really happy that I had all of those brass monsters sitting in the case just patiently waiting to show the old man what they could REALLY do. And they're doing it. Really WELL!

I'd probably have been just fine, if my first memory as a kid hadn't been all of those Cab-Forward's running over Donner Pass. Kind of scarred me, I suppose--I STILL think small steam is a 2-10-2, LOL!

Tom :rolleyes:

Biggest mistake was buying alot of crap like Tyco and Life-like , etc. and then learning that it was just that !!!!

I think the biggest mistake is trying to model something real to scale size on your layout, unless you have a 50x50 foot room to work with, your layout will not be complete, you will only have a couple factories and a railroad yard, no housing,gas stations, schools etc....

Hahaha oh yeah i forgot about that. My boy still has his G-scale barn I made for our HO layout.

My biggest mistake was buying a bunch of stuff before I had my layout plan settled. I ended up with a lot of stuff that did not either fit the era or the location. I wasted a lot of money.

Mine was buying a DDA40X for under a 100 bucks at a local swap meet. That thing cant even pull it self a .5% hill. I learned that the hard way. :rolleyes:

I guess my problem (not necessarily a mistake) continues to be my dreams are much bigger than my wallet. :eek:
That has meant many, many revisions to my track plan which in turn means it is taking me a lot longer than I first anticipated. :(

how about kit-bashing a bunch of now-rare AC Gilbert HO flatcars into something totally useless (and worthless)....

I have no memory of being a beginner, in a true sense. I grew up with HO trains as a fixture the same as the TV set, the kitchen table, and mom's 51 Ford flathead. I was probably in 1st grade before I realized that not everyone had HO trains in their basement... or a darkroom... or musical instruments of every kind piled up like firewood at times.

But as I struck out on my own, I certainly made hundreds of mistakes and I still make them. I gather from the subject of this thread, we're talking about a major mistake - one that had long term consequences. We've all paid too much for something, bought things we couldn't use or products that were just disappointing junk. But in terms of decisions to go down a certain path and then later discovering it was the wrong path - well, I fear some of my mistakes have yet to be made. The few layouts I have built have been relatively inexpensive and served their purpose but were never viewed to be a final product. So I have never really attempted to design my dream layout and I'm too old now to be thinking of building 2-3 dream layouts, so I need to get it right the first time and I will solicit help. Fortunately, I know enough people that I know who I can go to for genuine assistance in achieving MY goals, rather than chasing the Kalmbach paradigm of the month.

A couple of paths I went down in my teens turned out to be dead end for me. One of those paths was trying to be sort of a freelance steam modeler, or a steam scratchbuilder. I felt that brass was so expensive I would never be able to afford more than one or two pieces my whole life, so I believed I could build my own. I actually took the MR Cyc drawings of the NYC Niagara and fabricated a really, really bad, lumpy smokebox section from brass before realizing that just wasn't going to happen - not without much better tools and some skills I couldn't just teach myself. I was very much alone then.

One colossal mistake I avoided just by instinct, and often was scorned for not jumping on board, was converting to analog command control before there was DCC. Everything about the existing CC systems waved red flags right and left despite cheerful enthusiasm from the purveyors of these systems. I could see myself spending thousands for a limited, flaky system, being forced to deal with electronics geeks who look down their nose at me, and spending 50% of my train room time cleaning track. I still consider myself both fortunate and perhaps even smart for staying DC until DCC was pretty well established... 1997 to be exact. I've since turned over my system twice, and many of my decoders once, but I don't regret doing it when I did. I am now solidly DCC and would not go back to DC.

OTOH, in 1993 a friend of mine bought an analog CC system... he cut his block wiring and installed the receivers in a number of locos. After about 3 months, he trashed the whole thing and went back to DC. I know, I helped him rewire his blocks.... I just cringed when I found out he had not only bought the bridge, but drank the kool-aid as well.

Recent mistakes? 2008: LOL... how about getting the (2) Atlas C420s I needed only after buying *five* complete locos and still having to order a long hood shell from Atlas.... or (2005) chopping the number boards off a Proto U-boat cab with a single edge razor blade, while holding it tightly with my fat, unprotected left thumb directly opposite the blade?

2002: Running my then-new Walthers Amtrak cars without putting real Kadees on them... turned my back, train uncoupled, locos came around and rear-ended the train and sent brand new Slumbercoach to the floor, cracking end and vestibule.

2007: Attempting to put together an overpriced styrene freight car kit by following the sparse, computer-printed instructions instead of using my own experience and common sense, and trashing the kit completely in the process.

1985: Spending $70 on two NWSL PDT power trucks, thinking they would function as "helpers" by powering passenger cars on my 13-car train to assist the single steam loco, only to find they were poor running, poor pickup, noisy, weak, lousy lead sleds that locked up and ended up being dead weight instead of helpers.

1998: Spending $1800 on brass passenger cars, after working 300 hours in one month and wanting to reward myself with something off the shelf that required no work. Silly me. Cars had junk trucks out of square, dragging shorting brake shoes, coupler mounts in impossible places, and solid diaphragms that couldn't be removed. Manufacturer of said cars called me a liar on a public forum. Unloaded these cars a long time ago.

I'm sure I could come up with lots, lots more....

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great topic - kudos to the OP!

I can't say I've had any huge beginner (or re-beginner) mistakes, and a big part of that is due to you guys on here. I am really glad I dug around here at length for info before going head-long into the layout build. Also going with code 83 right from the start - I really wasn't sure about it at first but now I'm happy I did.

The only "mistake" is a few bad eBay purchases (equipment in much worse shape than anticipated), but in the long run eBay has been more good to me then bad.

Mark

At first I couldn't think of any railroading mistakes, but I know I've made a few so after some pondering, I remembered at least two involving N-scale.
Mistake #1) Running a very expensive steam locomotive up a steep grade
after it had derailed. It was on the other side of a 4x8 layout with trackage right on the edge. I was being lazy and tried to make it come around to me so I could re-rail it. Needless to say it rolled off the table and met the basement floor with tragic and catastrophic results!!!! :eek: :eek:

Mistake #2) Many moons ago I jumped into model railroading and purchased a
starter set on impulse. Set it up on the floor, was disappointed and returned it the next day. Ended up waiting 10 years before I tried it again.............

Back