ballasting kato track

Only if you want your cat to...well, you know.

Have you tested to see if it still holds up when it gets wet? I mean, does it clump?

I searched a couple other forums I know about and here are some copy/paste replies....
cacole
Only one brand of cat litter is suitable for use as ballast -- Cat's Pride, because it is ground up kaolin clay that does not clump or swell up when wet. I ground up the litter between to cement blocks. Just put some on one block, place the other block on top and move it back and forth a few times. Other brands will just turn into a messy glob.
Ditto! Cat's Pride worked well for me many years ago. I've tried some other brands but many of the just broke up after they were wetted and before the glue was even applied.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

I have tried every alternative known to mankind and have determined that real ballast rock is the best method. Nothing else lays quite right. I do know of a guy that goes to the rail yards and picks his own. The rail yards get enough traffic that it breaks down the rocks to fines then you just screen out the big stuff!
I've seen this guys ballast and it is very good and he has it a lot of different colors.
Arizona Rock and Mineral Co.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

and this......
http://www.frisco.org/vb/archive/index.php/t-5521.html?

Good choice!
Look into sandblast grit at your local machine shop, it can be made out of crushed walnut shells, same as WS ballast.
A friend used litter once, in the morning his roadbed was two inches thick from the swelling!

Back