Ballast size

Correct, or at least most of it. There are a few, like cinders, that are actual rock, but most of it is crushed walnut shells. The advantage of using the walnut shells is they they absorb dye easily so WS is able to make many different colors of ballast.

If you're thinking walnut shells would be easier than rock to make on your own, think again. Even if you have access to empty walnut shells, they are almost as tough as rock and you have to screen it several times during the process to remove the debris, including bugs. :eek: WS uses huge machines with a couple of hundred knife blades to run the walnut shells through, so the end product is relatively even in size. It's then screened and steam sterilized. You also need special colorfast dyes to color the walnut shells. Believe me, forking over the eight bucks and having ballast ready to go is lots easier. :)

You can always go to your local Quarry if you have one and ask for some stone dust. You can get a couple 5 Gal buckets and then just screen everything with different sizes of screen. This way you will get some Boulders, Rip Rap, Ballast, Dust. I belonged to a club and this is what they did, here is the result.

12-23-0522.png

I noticed that WS is putting a warning on their ballast now that it contains nut byproducts. Most likely a result of that kid with alergies getting sick some time back.
I use the fine grade for HO. A piece of ballast fits in your 1/1 hand so it should fit into a 1/87 hand. (more or less). (Unless you're modeling a shortline and running thru mud and sand) Our club used roofing grit to save money, but it looks like crap!
Mark that's some nice looking work there!

Big layouts, like clubs, call for some creative thinking for a lot of things, ballast included. Many hands make light work, so the screening process isn't quite as tedious and, as you can see from Mark's picture, the result can be very nice. For the average home layout, I still think spending $10 or $20 is a lot easier and faster than dealing with stone dust.

I noticed that WS is putting a warning on their ballast now that it contains nut byproducts. Most likely a result of that kid with alergies getting sick some time back.
Yeah, it's mostly ground walnut shell. I can see where those allergic to nuts would have a problem.

So it is possible someone could use a bunch of wallnut shells and grind them up and use them for ballast? With the holiday season here, they are around a lot more. Does WS treat it somehow, do wallnut shells even have a shelf life or discolor over time?

instead of opening new thread i'm going to revive this one :)
so, its ballasting time. i'm set on using WS crushed nuts (available and not to expencive) but the size still bothers me. i bought a baggy of medium grey and shaker of fine grey mix (after reading some of you do use it). tried both but i just can't make up my mind. medium seems just a ted big, fine seems way to small, really much more suitable for N. (below. will vaccum and paint ties into proper color beforehand)

Fine
DSC_3524-vi.jpg

Medium
CIMG1328-vi.jpg

what are your thoughts. anyone uses medium at all?
also wile on ballasting topic, would you fill and raise the ground level between the double tracks or create to separate ballast prisms? was thinking to plant some vegetation and dirt between the tracks but it seems such gap is not very prototypical

for my HO layout, I used N-scale ballast
attachment.php

is this really N scale? from the pic it seems even bigger then medium...

i think i will try and mix the 2 sizes......

I think that looks good.

I use real rocks. I use about the size of the medium for some of the sidings and the smaller for the yards. I use the sandy dust we get when filtering for asphalt roads.

My mainlines are larger than that.

I thought my mainline ballast was too large until I was in PA looking at Rail Viaducts and we walked along the tracks. I was surprised how large the ballast was.

as far as size i narrowed it down to 30% medium, 70% fine mix (loked good on the diorama) although it seems not critical.on pictures i looked through there are actual roads ballasted with huge pieces . looks strange but well, apparently works.

what do you guys think of ditch between the tracks however?

G'Day All,

Another alternative is the use of rubber rock molds. These molds produce surprisingly realistic rock formations. You'll also be pleased with how relatively inexpensive they are. The best part is that -- as with any mold -- you can reuse them. Some of my friends have had the same molds for over 15 years. Now that's durability like a, er.... rock!

G'Day All,

Another alternative is the use of rubber rock molds. These molds produce surprisingly realistic rock formations. You'll also be pleased with how relatively inexpensive they are. The best part is that -- as with any mold -- you can reuse them. Some of my friends have had the same molds for over 15 years. Now that's durability like a, er.... rock!

now you spamming your stuff on here as well? :mad:
ban-rollerbanana.gif

Hi tankist,

I'm just trying to be responsive to the thread. There's no such intent to spam anything. You have to consider that.

Thanks

Back