Bachmann Track Nightmares.

I am only concerned that Atlas is getting an undeserved bad rap. Since I have used Atlas track and turnouts extensively on my layout I think I know their products pretty well. As with any company attempting to do business today, Continuous Improvement must be a part and partial to doing business. What I have seen in the new turnouts I purchased, seems to be a product which has been improved. Will they stand the test of time, I certainly don't have another 28 years left to find out. The most expensive track products are made by Shinohara and I just felt I didn't have the money to go that route.

This is a hobby, something I am doing for fun. Use the track you like and I'll do the same! Lets go back to trying the help Nightwing out.

Underserved rap from who? So things are clear my own layout is composed of 90% Altlas flex track and turnouts and I've been a lifelong Atlas customer. The only track not Atlas is for components Atlas doesnt make. We are for the most part in agreement here aren't we?

Anyway, I cant speak for snap track as I have no experience with it good or bad. IIRC the OP appeared to not have a good experience with his snap switch. Perhaps he could elaborate and we could help more.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of things made 28 years ago were made better than they are today. Heck, had the alternator replaced in my Toyota RAV4 1 1/2 years ago and it went bad last month and replaced at the cost of $760 - it should have lasted many years. I bought a Dremel tool and after only a couple months of very light use, a part inside broke and now the shaft will not turn. I have another Demel made in the early 1980's and it's had way more use and still working great.

A lot of things made in recent years are such poor quality, it's not really a fair comparison to talk about stuff made 25-30 years ago - it could be a different ball game for the same/similar products made recently. (btw, no feathers ruffled =P )

Oh, so your saying this wasn't directed specifically at Atlas, then? It sure looked like it was! Oh well, I guess we both like Atlas products and are in agreement. Good luck!

Oh, so your saying this wasn't directed specifically at Atlas, then? It sure looked like it was!

That's correct; note there is no reference specifically linking Atlas into generalized quality issues in that quote, nor was any intended. I'm not sure where you were getting that notion from. Maybe the confusion with Atlas came from nightwing expressing concern about ordering Atlas snaptrack after getting negative feedback from other hobbyists?

My general comments about quality issues are tied to Bachmann EZ track, the central point of this topic. Now I don't think Bachman has an underserved rap; as I have followed Bachmann over the past 40 years, my opinion has always been that they produced basically "toy train set quality" products, and even Model Railroader magazine has traditionally steered new hobbyists away from their products when doing their Christmas season magazine; instead they encourage readers to buy separate "better quality" components to build a train set, such as buying an Atlas engine and cars, and Atlas track, and an MRC power pack.
Cheers.

I don't have any Atlas locos but their rollers are as good as anybody else's. Their flex track is excellent and their turnouts function flawlessly once the frogs are filed down and not all of them need it! I have not used their crossovers yet but I own some. I could not afford the high end track and turnouts due to money concerns and the sheer size of this layout. Atlas has served me well. I'll bitch about the GIGANTIC frogs but that is the ONLY thing I have found with their products that is less than absolutely satisfactory!

I'm not sure what I said here but NP2626 informed me I am now on his ignore list (I don't think I've ever been informed I'm being ignored before).

nightwing, I hope you are able to resolve your issue.

Cheers, Jim

Back