Bachmann Spectrum overpriced

sinebar

Is it me or does the the Bachmann Spectrum Locomotives seem over priced? I notice on their web site they provide no zoom feature on any of their spectrum trains. I'd like to see one of those $500+ trains up close to see what you get for that price. Could the lack of a zoom feature be a stratigy to prevent a potential buyer from seeing poor quality detail? Am I wrong here?

Bachmann Spectrum are VERY nice. Though certainly not the best.

ALL model train stuff is overpriced, when purchased direct from manufacturer. But most online shops sell for significantly less.

There's 2 Bachman spectrum HO gp30s on eBay right now for $30 brand new. I don't think their stuff is over priced but it's not the best. My opinion of the best, from experience, is Kato and Atlas

---
- Sent from my phone

There's 2 Bachman spectrum HO gp30s on eBay right now for $30 brand new. I don't think their stuff is over priced but it's not the best. My opinion of the best, from experience, is Kato and Atlas

---
- Sent from my phone

Better than Athearn Genesis?

Is there a model of locomotive that is produced by all these brands and can be compared? Something simple like GP30 or such?

Is it me or does the the Bachmann Spectrum Locomotives seem over priced? I notice on their web site they provide no zoom feature on any of their spectrum trains. I'd like to see one of those $500+ trains up close to see what you get for that price. Could the lack of a zoom feature be a stratigy to prevent a potential buyer from seeing poor quality detail? Am I wrong here?

I suspect the $500 price pertains to the EM-1? Some new articulated engines are close to that figure, but so are those of the other providers, BLI, MTH notable among them.

If you go to the more popular etailer sites, you will find them discounted heavily. What you see at Bachmann's site are the MSRP's. I do agree that the views could be more 'generous'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a model of locomotive that is produced by all these brands and can be compared? Something simple like GP30 or such?

I would guess that something like a GP38 or G40 would be your best option there, maybe a GP35. The problem is is that something that Arlas produces in there Gold or Silver Series, Athearn may only offer in their RTR line. With Athearns recent release of GP7/9s, you might be able to do something there. I know bachmann, Proto 2000, Atlas, Athearn Genesis and countless "toy" quality model train manufactures have produced them.

Some food for thought, what if the manufactures were challenged to produce one model to go head to head against the others? I have a feeling the results would not be something they typically put on the shelves though. Just something to think about :D

Some food for thought, what if the manufactures were challenged to produce one model to go head to head against the others? I have a feeling the results would not be something they typically put on the shelves though. Just something to think about :D

The problem with that is it would guarantee there wouldn't be enough demand to sell them all. So, the best model, and the cheapest model, would sell, and the other manufacturers would take a bath. That would be very bad from a business standpoint, possibly even fatal.

I suspect the $500 price pertains to the EM-1? Some new articulated engines are close to that figure, but so are those of the other providers, BLI, MTH notable amonge them.

If you go to the more popular etailer sites, you will find them discounted heavily. What you see at Bachmann's site are the MSRP's. I do agree that the views could be more 'generous'.

That's the only Spectrum that could be that high! MSRP $425.00 without sound board, $544.00 with. Micromark is already offering them for $265.95 on pre-order without sound and $339.90 with. Actually pretty good for an articulated with that detail level. if ya wanna play, ya gotta pay!

Bachmann's overall quality is coming up nicely. I bought their Santa Fe GP-9 from MicroMark for around $50.00, with DCC onboard. Their decoders are not something I'd keep, but the basic mechanism is sound, it runs smoothly, and the body shell details, while basic, are nice enough. I'll have to add grab irons and such, but for 50 bucks? Not bad IMHO! Not in the Athearn Genesis GP-7/9's league (which I got discounted without sound for $139.00) but a very good buy. They've come a long way in the past few years.

Where Bachmann excels is in affordable steam locomotives. Yes, the articulated, DCC, sound locos are expensive, but nothing near what others would charge for the equivalent. I think most of their steam locos are under priced. I do agree that their "m.s.r.p." is ridiculous, but so are most manufacturer's. That way you can feel like you're getting a deal when you actually buy it from one of Bachmann's accounts.

Better than Athearn Genesis?

I think so, for the price and quality. I've had some real hit and miss genesis engines in the past. Kato seems to run really quiet and pulls well which is great because of the 2 percent grade on my helix

---
- Sent from my phone

Bachmann has come a long way in the passed couple of years. The steam locomotives look WAAAAY better than they did. Now, If they could come up with a better mechanism. I have gone thru three light mountains and two consolidations and a santa-fe type that may give up any day. All suffer from cracked gears. Untill this issue has been resolved I have bought my last Spectrum.

I really don't get that.... I've ran some of my Spectrum steamers since 1999 with no sign of wearing or anything.
The newer ones that I have had a problem with are the logging engines.......
Cracked gears do happen on engines that suffers from climate changes though.....

Bachmann has worked long and hard to overcome their "el cheapo trainset quality {or lack thereof}".
Their pectrum lines offers their best.
The Bachmann MSRP, like all MSRPs, are inflated and when on the shelves or available for purchase sell for about 2/3 or half the MSRP. I could never understand why MSRP are so high compared to actual retail price {or haggled down price}. I guess it is so everyone thinks they get a bargain when paying retail or wholesale.

The OP didn't specify which Bachmann Loco he was were referring to, so it is hard to tell what teh actual retail price is, we can only guess on locos Bachmann puts out that are high priced.

BLI, PAragon, MTH and others have high retail prices, why shouldn't Bachmann for good/better/best detailing and operating?. I have heard just as many complaints about the other expensive locos as can be said for Bachmanns. BAchmann doesn't have to be all about "cheap" locos!

As far as comparing brand model to brand models, they all often make totally diferent locos, I think so you CAN't compare one to another. SOme Locos ARE produced by several manufacturers, so comparison is available, but not all.

Bottom line: If you want the loco, you will pay what they want IF you want it.

The one downside to a downturned economy is prices tend to go UP so maufacturers, retailers etc. can still make their desired profit margins with fewer higher priced sales.
:)

Bachmann has come a long way in the passed couple of years. The steam locomotives look WAAAAY better than they did. Now, If they could come up with a better mechanism. I have gone thru three light mountains and two consolidations and a santa-fe type that may give up any day. All suffer from cracked gears. Untill this issue has been resolved I have bought my last Spectrum.

I've got 3 Proto 2k gp9s that have cracked gears as well. Proto seems to have the same problem as bachmann with gears. Good engines and details but they seem to brake

---
- Sent from my phone

Twr Opr 87, I haven't had any problems with my Proto's YET...my best friend has about 8 p2k E-units and 3 have dealt him misery with the wheelsets and sideframes. The others plug on along. He has had no problems with his Spectrums while half of mine ran great for several years and then "crunch"... I guess my biggest beef with Bachmann is that they gave me fits in replacing/repairing my damaged units because I had added detail to the shell (which had NOTHING to do with the gears!!!) I had made a sweet Southern Rwy. Ts-1 out of one of their light mountains....I added some brass detail, took an old Rivarossi tender and added some detail to it to make a Rat-Hole Division loco out of her, added a Tsunami decoder...really nice! Two laps around the layout and guess what happens? After many calls and several hours on hold they finally agree to send back the shell and a new mech. Needless to say, I was livid.
I have 8 BLI locomotives: 1 E-7, 2 SD-40s, 3 Class As...blah, blah. All but 3 have had to go back to BLI when they were first taken out of the box....BLI fixed them, no questions asked and none of them have given trouble since.
I guess its the luck of the draw....
David

To srrcoalburner: I've got a nice sized fleet of Proto engines, gp 30s and gp 9s mostly (milwaukee road) and they run well. It's just the 3 gp9s I've got that are still painted in the black widow scheme for SP that I've had trouble with. Other than those 3 I'm very happy with proto's quality. Athearn seems to be getting better with their genesis stuff but their new rtr equipment has some bugs like the old bb stuff. I try to stick with Proto or Kato primarily. I've never had a problem with Kato.

---
- Sent from my phone

The Spectrum series of steam locomotives have come way up in quality and amount of detail.
many forget these are delicate models that need TLC..... and maintenance....Just the nature of the beast lol :D
Below their 2-6-6-2 and their brand new B&O EM-1

6-3.jpg

4-2.png

Nice!

It pays to be patient, it pays to be picky about the models you really need/want, and it pays to shop around a bit.

About 18 months ago or so, M.B. Klein (modeltrainstuff.com) were blowing out all sorts of Bachmann stock, including the rather highly regarded all metal Heavy Mountains. Those items were being discounted to $70! Now, they are much harder to find, and I just got one from internetrains.com (new owner, very responsive, and quick to complete the deal), but without DCC of any kind and it was $168. Had I bitten in 2009, I could have had two or three of them. :(

I wish, for the money we spend on the big loco's that they ran better and didn't wear out so fast. I have 15 year old Bowser loco's that still run great, and I just had to retire a BLI Y6b because the front engine has become sloppy and won't stay on the track. It's newer sister still works fine.

Back