Bachmann Shays issues....can't this is happening!

It's really bad enough I haven't been able to reprogram my 3-Trk Climax, and now the front truck is binding....(but that's another story).......but NOW IM REALLY PISSSED. I bought 2 3-Truck Shays about 5 years ago, at a train show in Jax, Fl. *Until recently, I've not had a layout to put them on. *An hour ago I unpacked them for the very 1st time, to put them on the layout, and do a little test running. *I did absolutely Nothing to them...just unpacked. Placed the first one on a track I KNOW TO BE GOOD (I've been running other Locos with no problems), turn on track power, IMMEDIATELY the SHORT beeps go off. *Take it off the tracks, DCC reset power ( I can still run other loco's mind you).....place the Shay back on....SHORTING beeps go off.....remove Shay

Then, place 2nd Shay on tracks, immediately AGAIN, SHORTING BEEPS SIGNAL GO OFF.

WTF..... $600.00 worth of Equip, and right out of the box their frigging useless. *Can someone from Bachmann please explain this? *I mean come on, right out of the box? REALLY?

At least my 25-year old MDC Shays' run.

Really really disheartened.

Logger Mike,
Charlotte, NC Area

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike:

I have a Bachmann three truck shay that I purchased when they first came on the Market. I added a decoder and sound and other than a missing front handrail stanchion, it works great.

Are the decoders factory? I wasn't aware that the Bachmann shays had factory decoders.

If the decoders are not factory, I would look at the decoders being either faulty or wired incorrectly. If this is the case, it would be fairly easy to replace the decoders.

Thanks.

Greg

PS: I have had problems with Bachmann in the past. They didn't want to replace the missing stanchion support that I discovered missing after I first ran the loco several years after my purchase. Bachmann suggested I purchase a replacement boiler for $40.00. Other time Bachmann sent me used replacements parts for another locomotive.

0fd86a7b748da45e46dbd53168a1ebb5.jpg

If this isn't a factory decoder, then what is it?....When I looked at the exploded assembly views for both, it showed a PC board and plugs....open her up and this is what is in the Tender.

Logger Mike,
Charlotte, NC Area

WELLLLLL. Don't I feel like a prize idiot. Remember, I've been out of this hobby since 1990 until this past fall.

Greg,

If this is the case, you said you added DCC & sound to yours. Do you guys have any recommendations? Been reading a lot about the Econami's....but am open to suggestions. Are the motor's already isolated? If not, what did you do?

Logger Mike,
Charlotte, NC Area

Yup I'm thinking the same thing.
I put a loco on the track a little while ago that was supposed to be DCC and got the beeps.
Turned out the guy I bought it from changed out the decoder for a DC board from an earlier loco.
:mad:

Also Greg, if you're so inclined, what speaker did you end up using......I'm still a virgin to this new stuff.... In '90, all I had to worry about was "Blocks" being set up correctly.

Logger Mike,
Charlotte, NC Area

The little brownish board with the solder blobs may well be plugged into a 8 pin DCC decoder connector.

It appears to have the right number of pins.

And this is not an uncommon thing to find.

Such a plug allows the loco to work on DC and allows DCC users to easily plug in a DCC decoder.

Be gentle with me here.... If it is a pin connector....without a schematic for the board, you're chancing things if adding a decoder, no?

Logger Mike,
Charlotte, NC Area

Just to verify, place them on my track, added track power, "short" beeps, (DCC is Digitrax Super Chief Extra), R Throttle, Loco "00", throttle turned...Locos moved in DC MODE.

Logger Mike,
Charlotte, NC Area

Logger Mike:

I used a SoundTrax decoder and speaker with an enclosure. The speaker is in or under the coal bunker. I'm sure that since I installed mine, the quality of both decoders and sound has improved.

Should be an easy installation.

Don't feel bad about the light board. I once brought a A and B unit at TrainfFest and then took the units to a DCC decoder dealer at Trainfest and asked for a decoder for each unit. The guy just smiled at me and said the "B" unit is a dummy!!!

Thanks.

Greg

Logger Mike:

The decoder will just plug in the pin connector on the board. If backwards, no problem, just reverse. Check the manufactures instructions for plug position.

Greg

Just did some research on Soundtraxx site....they actually have a recommendation setup for the decoder and speaker setup....DUH.....for the 70 & 80 tonners Shays.

Logger Mike,
Charlotte, NC Area

Greg, I just received 2 Econami's (I have 2 70-tonners), 2-3/4"dia Soundtrxx speakers w/enclosures, 8-pin connectors and 2 current keepers I'm gonna try....this is my first decoder install of any kind. Since they have the light boards with the pin connectors, can I assume at this point that the motors ARE ISOLATED? Or should I tear them down to the motors to do so.

Also, where did you end up putting your speaker? Coal box on main engine, or in the water tank?

So excited!

Mike

Logger Mike,
Charlotte, NC Area

Back