Bachmann EZ - DCC contoler

The new BLI unit did not work, even if it had, it would not have fit my needs.
I returned the BLI unit and ordered a used Bachmann EZ unit, It came w/o power supply (wall-wart), cables or instructions (avail on web).

I made track & power cables and tested it out, works fine.

WHY buy a half-baked DCC controller? PRICE was cheap! and I already have two very good full featured Digitrax Zephyr Xtra units. What I needed/wanted was a simple, cheap and small controller for other use. I plan to use it for my Circus to control motorized rides, lights and sound. I had hoped it could do double duty as a tiny battery powered DCC system, but it does not seem to work on DC power, WHY? is a good question?

While its limited, it's small, seems well made and simple to use and has all the features I need for my intended usage. Mainly controlling a motorized & lighted Ferris wheel, merry go round and a few other rides, and SOUND.

I also ordered a old used MRC unit very cheap, just to play with.

While I am happy with my Bachmann EZ controller, I am glad I bought a real full featured DCC system control for only a few dollars more, to build my system with.

I had hoped it could do double duty as a tiny battery powered DCC system, but it does not seem to work on DC power, WHY? is a good question?
What DC voltage did you try? I'm guessing there is a full wave rectifier on the input so a DC supply would be like trying to run it at 1/2 power.

YES, well at least it looks to be a full-wave bridge using not so tiny discrete diodes. I do not have a schematic. (don't plan to spend the time reverse engineering) What started my current quest was seeking a portable controller for SOUND. I was using one 9v rechargeable, it works sound and lights but ONLY at one battery polarity. Adding a second 9v in series for aprox 18v does add locomotion, BUT in only one direction. I think it needs/uses a Bipolar supply. when run from 16vac everything, ALL functions work quite well.

For what I bought it for, it does everything I need, and a little more. Now, if/when I want I can take it and show off my sound cars w/o needing to have a layout or AC power. When not doing that it can run my carnival as a stand alone system. It will greatly simplify the carnival/circus wiring.

I have a Bachmann EZ Digital Command Controller. It came in a set with 2 DCC locomotives. My grandsons and I love it!

I also have a NCE DCC Twin with an NCE Pro Cab Deluxe.

My plan was to use the NCE set up for my small HO layout and the Bachmann controller or my even smaller N scale layout. I have not as yet finished the N scale bench work.

Because the Bachmann EZ command is so simple and easy to use I have been using it for my HO layout. My grandsons (6&7 years olds) have no problem running trains on my HO layout.

I only have 4X5 HO layout. I have 2 ovals 18" and 22" curves with sidings. The little Bachmann can run my Bachmann spectrum series Acela, my Athearn Genesis with sound and I have 2 Bachmann entry level DCC locomotives on the sidings.

We have had all 4 trains running at once, but we seldom do that because the layout is small. We only have 1 feeder to each track. It took less then a half an hour to set it up with EZ track and the entire thing cost less then $500 for the 2 trains sets including the extra Bachmann entry level DCC locomotive. Of course that does not include the Athearn Genesis.

The Bachmann EZ Digital Command Controller is the perfect introduction to DCC for youngsters or beginners. The unfortunate thing is it is like the Rodney Dangerfield of DCC "I get no respect I tell ya!"

I have a Bachmann EZ Digital Command Controller. It came in a set with 2 DCC locomotives. My grandsons and I love it!

I also have a NCE DCC Twin with an NCE Pro Cab Deluxe.

My plan was to use the NCE set up for my small HO layout and the Bachmann controller or my even smaller N scale layout. I have not as yet finished the N scale bench work.

Because the Bachmann EZ command is so simple and easy to use I have been using it for my HO layout. My grandsons (6&7 years olds) have no problem running trains on my HO layout.

I only have 4X5 HO layout. I have 2 ovals 18" and 22" curves with sidings. The little Bachmann can run my Bachmann spectrum series Acela, my Athearn Genesis with sound and I have 2 Bachmann entry level DCC locomotives on the sidings.

We have had all 4 trains running at once, but we seldom do that because the layout is small. We only have 1 feeder to each track. It took less then a half an hour to set it up with EZ track and the entire thing cost less then $500 for the 2 trains sets including the extra Bachmann entry level DCC locomotive. Of course that does not include the Athearn Genesis.

The Bachmann EZ Digital Command Controller is the perfect introduction to DCC for youngsters or beginners. The unfortunate thing is it is like the Rodney Dangerfield of DCC "I get no respect I tell ya!"

I tend to dis on Bachman because I bought two of their starter sets and one was DCC and one was not DCC and NOT CLEARLY MARKED as a DC only set! PLUS a cable was missing and they were NO help at ALL in fixing the problem! I did not mind about the one set being DC only, it could have been more clearly marked. Where and or WHO did you get your carnival stuff at/from, it is something I want to do on my layout.

The sets were easy to set up and get running very quickly (once I got the right cable), but the customer service was a joke!

New Guy I have been lucky with Bachmann, I have never needed to use customer service, but I have only bought about a dozen things from them.

The problem with modern mass production in general is the frequency of problems with new things right out of the box. Good customer service and support is critical.

I have had a few problems with Lionel items because I buy so much more for them. The good thing about Lionel is the first rate customer service and support.

I add another layer of protection to my purchases by buying from dealers who will stand behind their sales. For example I bought a Lionel LionChief Polar Express set to run under a Christmas tree from MB Klein. When I set it all up I realized something was binding in the drive mechanism. If I contact Lionel it will take me at least a week to get it straight. Instead I called MB Klein and they told me to just bring in the locomotive and swap it. I sent my daughter to the store and before you know it I was hearing the conductor say "All aboard, this is the Polar Express" just like in the movie.

New Guy I have been lucky with Bachmann, I have never needed to use customer service, but I have only bought about a dozen things from them.

The problem with modern mass production in general is the frequency of problems with new things right out of the box. Good customer service and support is critical.

I have had a few problems with Lionel items because I buy so much more for them. The good thing about Lionel is the first rate customer service and support.

I add another layer of protection to my purchases by buying from dealers who will stand behind their sales. For example I bought a Lionel LionChief Polar Express set to run under a Christmas tree from MB Klein. When I set it all up I realized something was binding in the drive mechanism. If I contact Lionel it will take me at least a week to get it straight. Instead I called MB Klein and they told me to just bring in the locomotive and swap it. I sent my daughter to the store and before you know it I was hearing the conductor say "All aboard, this is the Polar Express" just like in the movie.

I've got the stuff. The only thing I may need to buy for quite a while is just details, some more curves or turnouts is all. Loco's and rollers I will be a year 'shaking out'! I'm living in a construction site for another month maybe. Room prep has been an ordeal.

YES, well at least it looks to be a full-wave bridge using not so tiny discrete diodes. I do not have a schematic. (don't plan to spend the time reverse engineering) What started my current quest was seeking a portable controller for SOUND. I was using one 9v rechargeable, it works sound and lights but ONLY at one battery polarity. Adding a second 9v in series for aprox 18v does add locomotion, BUT in only one direction. I think it needs/uses a Bipolar supply. when run from 16vac everything, ALL functions work quite well...
Actually, it appears to have two half-wave rectifiers instead of a full wave rectifier. By using two half-wave rectifiers it creates a bi-polar power supply from the AC input. Here is a website where someone has dissected an EZ command and posted the power supply circuit. If you are so inclined, you should be able to power it with two batteries by connecting them to the appropriate points in the circuit.

Robert that is great stuff, thank you very much for the link!

I don't have any particular project in mind but it is very interesting to know.

THANKS Robert...........

I can make a bipolar 9v setup using 2 9v batteries, done that before for other needs.

I will probably use a 3.5mm stereo jack and make a 2x/9v battery harness.

JD

IT WORKS...........

All bells & whistles, (puntended) including loco control fully operational using a bipolar dual 9v battery harness.

I cheated and used the pos and neg diodes (easy to get to) to tap in for plus and neg battery connection along with a screw location (near the AC input) that made a ground connection. I did use a panel mount 3.5mm stereo jack and a mating wire harness for 2x9v batteries wired in series w/center tap.

Back