Bachmann customer service problems

Could you try a different carrier? I think with a different carrier like UPS or Fedex or even DHL you should be able to ask them to give you a disposition on the delivery like what the heck happened? Send them a certified letter and request a response. If they don't respond kick it up a level like BBB make some noise. Discuss it with the PA state office of Consumer Affairs or something, put the squeeze on them.

Mike, I was about to tell you how good my Bachmann engines are, but then remembered that you're in N scale. Point is anyone telling you how bad, or good, their B'mann locos are, unless they're N scale is meaningless. Their N scale stuff is definitely hit or miss from what I've been told, and seen.BTW, have you called them and talked directly with the service dept? There is a very nice lady that takes care of the phone, and unless you've talked to her, you may not have anyluck. Also I've heard, that you sometimes have to call repeatedly to either get through, or to actually get the phone answered.I hope that you get it worked out to your satisfaction.

No, I'm HO scale only. Sorry sometimes I forget to list what scale I'm talking about but so that we know I only model HO.

You know what, though? Just read that paragraph. "every loco I sent in". Seriously? The fact that I'm an "old pro" at dealing with Bachmann's returns says it all right there. Nobody should be an "old pro" at returning stuff. Nobody should have this sort of history with a company. I've had to return TWO locomotives out of ALL the other brands from my ~150 or so locomotives. Out of the Bachmanns I own (I think I have eight of them?), I've had to either return (or decide it wasn't worth the continued postage expense to do so) all but two of them. I mean, that is such an abysmal rate of failure that it just stuns me every time I think about it.
In the last decade, I have sent in more BLI engines than I have Bachmanns. Part of that is the initial cost involved. If a $50 Bachmann tears up, I am less inclined to bother sending it in than I am the $300+ BLI. Before that time, I was returning a Bachmann engine every other month or so. That was back when I was in N scale, and after Bachmann started releasing some N scale equipment I liked.

In the last decade, I have sent in more BLI engines than I have Bachmanns. Part of that is the initial cost involved. If a $50 Bachmann tears up, I am less inclined to bother sending it in than I am the $300+ BLI. Before that time, I was returning a Bachmann engine every other month or so. That was back when I was in N scale, and after Bachmann started releasing some N scale equipment I liked.

I don't recall ever sending an engine back to anyone, although there are four Athearn RS3s in my basement, that should have been sent back........Bachmann......well if a Bachmann that I paid $50 for under performs, it's an "I should have known better", vs. I've been ripped. On the other hand, If I had problems with someone else's engine with a big price tag, then I'm pissed. However, other than the Baldwin Sharks, I really cannot complain about the performance of the Bachmann's. On the other hand, I'm not really interested in buying any additional Bachmanns. Their price point has been sneaking up, making their product a greater risk.

Joe

Sorry Mike, my Bad. I mis-addressed the post to just Mike, and it should have really been addressed to Mike Ownby, and Brad, the OP. I'm sorry for your thinking it was addressed to you. Thats the problem with answering some posts, without looking at the full name of whom you're trying to help.It also doesn't help that I'm on a hotel's computer in the business center, and IE(Insert # here), won't let me quote, empahsize what words I need to, edit, etc, etc. At least I'll be home tonight and will be able to get on my own computer, with all the bells and whistles available.

Have been following this post with interest, but I think there has been a divergence from the original issue of "Bachmann's Customer Service", even though what has been written is interesting and useful.

"There is a very nice lady that takes care of the phone, and unless you've talked to her, you may not have any luck..." "...sometimes have to call repeatedly to either get through, or to actually get the phone answered..."

Isn't that the issue here?

Regardless of whether it is an N Scale or an HO Scale model, the point is that Bachmann's customer service is appalling. Why should you have to speak to one particular person in a company to get help? Why should it take numerous attempts to get through to (probably) be given corporate excuses or an indifferent attitude or to get someone, anyone, just to answer the call? You shouldn't, and that I think is the OP point here.

RFANDPVILLE

Could you try a different carrier? I think with a different carrier like UPS or Fedex or even DHL...​

While you are possibly right, the problem the OP had wasn't with delivery, but acceptance of that delivery. A change of carrier will not fix that problem. That being said, you might have better recourse from UPS or DHL.

The failure to not accept a delivery is a Bachmann problem, not the carriers BUT is one that is born by the customer with respect to cost.

The initial cost of the product is just as irrelevant, in terms of the OP. Granted, you expect more from a more expensive item; however, when you buy something (anything) you expect it work and work properly. When it doesn't, you then expect, and personally have the right, to expect decent customer service to get that problem resolved to your satisfaction, not the companies.

Even though bachmann has a return policy and warranty, what good is it if they wont answer their phones of take receipt of a delivery? It is meaningless.

Taking an issue to the BBB or Consumer Complaints is just as pointless, as they do nothing other than act as a mediator (for the sake of a word), at least in New York anyway. That may be different in other states of course.

Every complaint about bachmann, and the majority of other companies, revolves around their lack of customer service, and their attitudes of "we have your money, now go away we're no longer interested in you".

I know I am sounding negative to everything, but the bottom line is that the majority of companies, not just bachmann, have serious, indifferent customer service issues. The only way to resolve problems with such companies is to not purchase from them, costing them money through falling sales and forcing them to vastly improve in the area/s that they dismally fail in - in bachmann's case, customer service.

On the other side of the coin - we have a Bunn Coffee maker, in fact we have had four of them since buying our first. That Bunn came with a 3 year warranty. I say we have had 4 of them because we have only ever "bought one". On each occasion there has been a problem with the machine, Bunn has been contacted, checked the warranty and without question or hesitation have sent us a new replacement unit and, only asked us (not made it mandatory) to return the problem unit after we received the new one.

Compare that customer service to what bachmann provides.

In this foreign made, built to as low a cost, limited run, get it out there and get it sold world we are now in, final testing and quality control is all in the hands of the consumer. Hence the rise of these 2/3 year extended warranties (I notice BLI offers a 2 year so long as you register on-line). It's cheaper for the manufacturers to do it this way, than having dedicated, staffed repair facilities. If it fails, send you another till that warranty runs out, gambling that that demand won't be too great.

If they do have a repair dept, then they're not greatly interested in supplying DIY'ers, with parts, which it seems, have been cannibalised from other returned products in order to keep them supplied. Good luck to you if they happen to have those parts, but they won't want to sell them to you.

G'day all....I'm still , and always will be a big fan of Bachmann...Horses for courses if ever there was...Not everyone can afford 200-300 dollar locos and until you really get started in the hobby , companies like Bachmann provide very affordable gear to get you started...If it wasn't for $50-$100 locos from them , I doubt whether I would have even considered the hobby and I would have missed out on so much..I owe Bachmann a debt... I have about 25 Bachmanns , mostly analog but also a few DCC's...and have not had a single operational failure with any of them..Even if I had , or will have in the future I think it'd be a case of C'est la vie...because the cost and trouble of sending back a cheaper cost loco would't be worth it...I'd just buy another one if need be..A failed loco can always be used for spare parts or even as a 'dummy unit' or even just in a scene as a derelict loco on a siding or something...especially if it's only a cheaper one...Cheers Rod..

The lady mentioned in my post, is the head of the repair/replacement shop. Often times she is on the "floor" following up on the repairs and making sure they're being done quickly and correctly. IIRC, she, (I wish I could remember her name) also has stated that since she is the only "office personnel" of that department, she doesn't often get a chance to answer e-mails regularly. This I read on some forum, or thru the industry contacts that I and another friend have. I talked with Lee Riley, (and although I have known Lee since 1988, he is definitely one of my friends contacts), at the Atlanta train show last summer, and I was looking at the pilot models for the NS heritage units, 2 brand new models, and I asked him about the warranties, and asked if they came with the standard lifetime warranty. He pointed out something that had not registered with me concerning Bachmann's warranty, (considering the number of Bachmann locos that are waiting to be painted here), and that is, the current warranty policy was implemented JANUARY FIRST, 2003.

I wasn't even aware that the warranty policy changed that far back. Lee explained that it was changed from a lifetime warranty to a 1 year warranty, because policy then was send in any loco to be repaired, and if parts weren't available, the loco would be replaced with a comparable refurbished model or a new one for a small "service charge". He explained that many people were sending in the older Bachmann 2-8-0 which hadn't been in production for many years and it cost less than $25 new, and were getting in exchange a brand new Spectrum 2-8-0. Although he didn't say it, my conclusion was they were apparently giving away more 2-8-0's than they were selling. So when I got home, I glanced at a copy of the warranty and said "Wow, that's quite a change".

I read my warranty statement that came with my 4-4-0 that I bought last year. The warranty states, " In order to register the date of original purchase for all customers (and validate the warranty for US and Canadian purchases ONLY), the accompanying Owners Registration Card must be completed and mailed within ten (10) days of purchase of the product to the address listed below."

[What follows is word for word from the warranty statement. It's sometimes amazing to me what a scanner and a word processor can do to save a lot of typing.]

"If warranty service is required WITHIN one year from the date of original purchase by a US or CANADIAN resident, please send the product, postage prepaid to: Attention: Service Department; Bachmann Industries, Inc.; 1400 East Erie Avenue; Philadelphia, PA 19124 USA. Also, please write a letter explaining the nature of your difficulty and enclose it with the product, and be sure to include your return address, DAYTIME phone number and e-mail address (if available).

If service is required AFTER one year from the date of original purchase by a US or CANADIAN resident, or if service is required ANYTIME BY ANY OTHER PERSON WORLDWIDE, please contact the service department to determine the postage and handling fee and applicable service charge in effect at the time the repair is required. Then send the product, postage prepaid, with a check or money order in the amount specified, or complete credit card information (including credit card number, your name as it appears on the card, and the card expiration date) to the service department. (No C.O.D.s will be accepted.) Also, please write a letter explaining the nature of your difficulty and enclose it with the product, and be sure to include your return return address, DAYTIME phone number, and e-mail address (if available)."

At the top of the warranty , next to the implementation date, it also says that, "this warranty supersedes all previous (and/or concurrent) warranties"

Given the "changes" in the warranty from previous versions, now a set of questions pop up in my mind.

What are the ages of the locomotives? If under one year, did the OP forget to include something on the package, like the "Attention; Service Department"?
If they are older than a year, did he contact the Service Department, for charges, prior to sending them in?

I'm not saying the OP, Brad, did anything wrong, especially after reading exactly what the warranty states. I just don't think that we've been given enough information to bash Bachmann this badly, considering all the posts highly praising Bachmann's warranty work, and speed of turn around, not just on this forum, but just about all the forums I am a member of as well. (This forum is my "home", and for any 1 post by me in another forum, there are 15-20 posts here). I know that there are probably many forum members here who at least peruse other forums to see what they're saying or said about the same subject.

IMHO, I think the bashing should be toned down a notch or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder just how many railroad modelers cut their teeth on brands like Tyco, Model Power and Bachmann, its not just the cheap brands that quit working, a friend of mine does shop repairs for various retailers and has a cupboard full of top brand locomotives some of which have been waiting over a year for spare parts, he has been abused by staff when he rings to find out how his parts order is going, emails that don't get replied and phones that ring out, and that is from some of the top brand manufacturers, it cost him $$$$ to ring from Australia, one brand he has no trouble getting parts from is Bachmann, go figure.

I had a twenty-year hiatus between moving and starting my current layout about five years ago. I had my locomotives, mostly Tyco/Mantua steamers (some of which had been re-motored with Canon coreless motors before being stored) and a bunch of Athearn "Super Power" diesels in boxes, all DC. When I took them out and set them on the track, they ran just like they had...great. Oh, some needed the wheels cleaned and a drop of lube here and there, but a lot LESS than I'd have expected for a two-decade storage! I've had a LOT more trouble with some of the new P2K diesels breaking the plastic gears in their axles, losing journal boxes, etc! Of course, you can't get parts for most of the older ones, except on e-bay, but I laid in a good supply of spares when I was kitbashing like crazy and had parts left over from each project (Converting two Mantua Mikados into a single 2-10-2 or 2-10-4 leaves one blind driver with the bull gear, one without and a flanged driver set, plus pieces of frames, cover plates, boilers, etc. :cool: Still have a parts drawer full of open-frame motors, too.)

I have many items from the so called "lesser" quality manufacturers. Like most things you pretty much get what you pay for. I enjoy Bachmanns and Lifelike's and Tyco's and yes Tyco is long out of business, sold to of all things, Sara Lee Pastries. But Bachmann stepped up when they introduced the Plus line and the Spectrum lines. Life- Like in my opinion was of even lesser quality than the Bachmanns were in my opinion. Life Like was my very first set. As I was a kid I always wanted Life Likes Bachmanns and Tyco's because they were cool. I knew about Athearn was I was little because my first kit was a Santa Fe bay window caboose that was given to me by a school teacher for doing really well on something. I didn't learn about the more expensive brands until I had began to read Model Railroader and Railroad Model Craftsman. NOBODY was selling those more expensive brands around here and the most expensive stuff the Hobby stores carried seemed to be Athearn and then Kato. I had wanted Atlas because of the book "6 HO railroads You Can Build" by John Armstrong. I wanted to build the Granite Gorge and Northern Layout out of that book. But as a kid with no resources wasn't happening.
I joined a model train club where I saw the more expensive models. I never understood why all they did was complain about the brands like Tyco and Bachmann and Life Like. They called them crap. Their attitudes really sucked and I almost withdrew from the club wanting a refund. They disrespected my trains and I took it personally as an attack against me. I usually never get along with people who count rivets because oil and water don't usually mix. My modeling style is to use the so called lesser brands. I parody life for my enjoyment because nothing has to match exactly. That's why it's a model and not the real thing. Much of my rolling stock now is over 20 years old, though not all of it. 20 years ago I could not have told you what a a Broadway Limited or an MTH was. Intermountain as far as I knew then was a cheap plastic knock off of a Kadee coupler. I had learned about Walthers in 1994 and I liked them.
If it has a fictitious paint job , chances are I will like it because it is out of the ordinary. Most of my trains have something about them that was never real, although I do have some units that were once real. BUT that's just me and how I like to do trains. Most of my stuff now is upgraded and functional so they can run at a club.

Back