Bachmann 0-6-0

Chemdawg

I have a Bachmann 0-6-0 Steamer that is DC only. I want to convert it over to DCC. No sound is necessary. I want lights and forward/reverse in DCC. It would be nice to have an extra trigger to run the smoke unit and turn it off if I don't want it.

So my question is what Digitrax wire in decoder would be best for this? Can I get forward/reverse/lights and maybe an extra output for smoke unit?

And the last question is, since I have it apart, can I replace the light with an LED instead for front/rear? What light would be close to prototypical, what color, and what would be a radioshack part number for a front/rear LED?

Thanks a ton in advance. I know some people would say it's not worth it, but for the 30 bucks or so it would cost me to convert it would be cheaper than buying one already set to go. Plus I like this one and it's already weathered.

Pat

I have a Bachmann 0-6-0 Steamer that is DC only. I want to convert it over to DCC. No sound is necessary. I want lights and forward/reverse in DCC. It would be nice to have an extra trigger to run the smoke unit and turn it off if I don't want it.

So my question is what Digitrax wire in decoder would be best for this? Can I get forward/reverse/lights and maybe an extra output for smoke unit?
I generally don't use Digitrax decoders so I cannot help you with your main question. What I did want to say is that I don't think there are any decoders where an auxilary output can handle a smoke unit, unless you specifically look for ones designed for O or G-scale. Just to be sure I'm not crazy measure the current draw on the smoke unit. Compare that to the accessory capacity. I think I would use a 2nd decoder and use the motor output for the smoke unit. Or maybe you could hook up an on-board relay powered by the accessory output.

I purchased an NCE decoder unit that worked well converting this loco to DCC. Now I want to add a rear light, and a Headlight that are LED. Does anyone have a suggestion for which Radio Shack LED to purchase to make this possible?

Now I want to add a rear light, and a Headlight that are LED. Does anyone have a suggestion for which Radio Shack LED to purchase to make this possible?
I just looked through the Radio Shack on-line catalog and did not see any that I would use. The "white" ones they have are going to have the bluish shade too them. I think you really want a "soft white" or "dayglow" colored LED. I actually get mine out of Christmas Tree light sets.

I think I'm going to leave the headlight in there. I'm only using this small steamer as a switcher around my yard. I was reading up somewhere online and I know that some of the small 0-6-0 locos with slope tenders were used as switchers around yards. So... That's what it's gonna get used for. However, I have to figure out how I lost power again........... It's turning into an electrical nightmare. The loco that is.

... I have to figure out how I lost power again........... It's turning into an electrical nightmare. The loco that is.

Double check all your solder connections, you could have a cold joint. I would also check the pick-ups in the loco, as IIRC, these are the only ones. They could have gotten dirty.

These types of locos, short wheelbase, are notorious for bad contact with the rails at times. You may want to look at adding a set of Tomar pick-up shoes to the loco.

Back