Auto throw and reverse loop

VTRailway

I'm struggling to understand how to accomplish an auto throw turnout that is connected to my hidden reverse loop. I have the following equipment but lacking the understanding on the following:
  • Will the equipment I have allow me to accomplish the auto reverse and auto throw
  • How to power the frog of the turnout that needs to be auto thrown
  • Can a momentary switch be installed to choose the the direction of train travel along with auto throw capabilities
  • Create a power district for this reverse loop section that Isolates this section from the other future power districts
  • Utilize led lights that show point direction
  • Led lights that show train location of trains on layout and/or future signals. This is least important of all to me for now.
I have the following equipment:
  • NCE DCC Power cab
  • PSX-AR (not PSXX)
  • Tortoise slow motion turnout stall motor
  • Tortoise buddy, Wiz-kid
I started a project several years ago that fizzled out. I since started a small bedroom layout that looks point to point but has two reverse loops on each end. I've contacted Tony's trains and have had excellent assistance but at the end of the day, a lack of confusion of how to wire the trigger rails, auto reverse, auto throw and power the frog. I'm also aware there are likely multiple ways to accomplish this task which only adds to my overall confusion.

Currently I have the auto reverse loop wired and functioning but I have to throw the turnout by hand and the frog is unpowered.

This is the equipment I have.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 47
What brand of turnout is it?

Have you considered making it a "spring switch"?
That is, light spring tension to keep the entry route lined (usually the straight, non-diverging route).

Once having "gone round the loop", the train "trails through" the spring switch and exits.

You would want to insulate the joints just behind the frog for the straight route, but have the insulated joints perhaps a foot away on the trailing side -- to give your auto-reverser a little extra time to "flip the power" before the engine comes to the switch.

I believe you'll need a "non-power-routing" switch setup as well, to prevent the outbound train from shorting as it moves through the switch with the points moving back and forth.

I use Kato Unitrack, and the manual switches have two screws on the bottom to set power-routing or non-power-routing. Set to non-, a train will trail right through opposing switch points and just keep going.

I've solved my confusion. The PSX-AR flips track polarity as it should reliably so far. The turnout is hand built with products from fast tracks. I've installed the tortoise and then wired the tortoise buddy (wiz kid version). To perform the auto throw function the wiz kid must be powered by the DCC track bus. Also needed to isolate a short section of each inside rail going to the frog. Each of these has a trigger wire to the wiz kid. Power routed the frog from the wiz kid. Also added some momentary switches to the wiz kid so I can throw the turnout as desired. If I'm being lazy or forget, the wiz kid aligns the points for me. The loco stalls momentarily while the power is routed correctly then picks up and proceeds along as it was without fault or failure. I have to say this really wasn't hard once I found the instructions on how to wire the wiz kid and read it a couple times. I even got it all wired correctly on the first shot! Didn't expect that. Only thing left is to add LED's to the wiz kid outputs so I can see which way the points are without cramming my head in the closet. Eventually there will be storage tracks and a second loop inside this loop though this is down the road some.
While this is likely over the top complicated for some, it really does make this simple to run which is my goal. We have a grandson and young nephews who will be able to operate this without derailments and or shorts.
On to the next task and challenge...

Back