Aussie Country Railway Station

Hey Chris - any thoughts on making the rails look more realistic? I did say this was going to be an all in one thread didn't I? :)
I do now :D .
So here is how things are looking at the moment:

k6d1aWE.jpg

Played around with weathering the rails as well - not too sure how successful I was though :(

yhHNEnE.jpg

In case it does look okay - I used some Badger Model Flex Red Oxide Paint then ran some Hunterline Driftwood Weathering Solution over the ballast and ties. I wiped the tops of the rails with Model Master Thinner.

It might look better when it is done and put together???
Think it needs to be darker, rails are a grimy rusty colour.

- any thoughts on making the rails look more realistic?
I used a mixture of orange, dark umber and black. Let each one get nearly dry and apply another colour so you get a dark streaky type effect, clean the top of the rail and then use the side of the brush to apply the orange, let that dry and then gently rub the top of the rail clean, that should leave the edge of the rail an orangey colour so as to look like fresh rust.

Thanks Chris - I'll have a better look at it in the daylight and see how it looks. The flash may have washed some of the color. As for the coloring, I have black :) Will have to get the other colors though - crap, wait I bought a pack of 36 cheapish acrylic artist paint - there has to be something in that I can use :)

Mate, I know one thing - my actual layout is going to be close to 200actual feet of track work, that's 400 actual feet of rails - BLOODY HELL, I'll be weathering the thing for 20 years after I'm dead!!!!!!!!! :oops: :D Streuwth, it has taken me nearly half an hour (or longer) to do just 12" that means it will take me ahh - 200 hours for my actual layout, not including screw ups or anything else o_O o_O

Thanks Chris - I'll have a better look at it in the daylight and see how it looks. The flash may have washed some of the color. As for the coloring, I have black :) Will have to get the other colors though - crap, wait I bought a pack of 36 cheapish acrylic artist paint - there has to be something in that I can use :)

Mate, I know one thing - my actual layout is going to be close to 200actual feet of track work, that's 400 actual feet of rails - BLOODY HELL, I'll be weathering the thing for 20 years after I'm dead!!!!!!!!! :oops: :D Streuwth, it has taken me nearly half an hour (or longer) to do just 12" that means it will take me ahh - 200 hours for my actual layout, not including screw ups or anything else o_O o_O
Bloody 'ell mate, that's a heck of a lot of work, and an awful lot of paint too.

Off the top of my head, I can see two options, first, just paint the parts of the track that are easily visible, or, just paint the side's of the track that face you, so the outer rail of one and the inner on the opposing rail, and lastly, just paint it all one colour, dark brown/black or a muddy colour.

Ahh, that's what I thought as well - the "A lot of work" bit. Like most things that don't work - it seemed like a good idea at the time :) Maybe I could have a hmm - "Lets Play Trains" weekend and all you guys could come on over and I could give you a pot of paint and a brush and then I ...... no, don't like that idea?? Cwap and I was being so optimistic too :)

Think I might just keep the track weathering to smaller things, like diorama's etc :)

Okay so thought I'd come into the world of reality and have started putting the footpath and road guttering in. Err, that will be sidewalk and road gutters for those uniformed :p :D

Basically, just continuing the "wood work" out to where the road will be BUT painting it a concrete color I think.

Ahh, that's what I thought as well - the "A lot of work" bit. Like most things that don't work - it seemed like a good idea at the time :) Maybe I could have a hmm - "Lets Play Trains" weekend and all you guys could come on over and I could give you a pot of paint and a brush and then I ...... no, don't like that idea?? Cwap and I was being so optimistic too :)

Think I might just keep the track weathering to smaller things, like diorama's etc :)
I think it's one of those jobs that you do as and when you can

@Smudge617 I think you might be right. Do a bit at a time as the inspiration to do so hits me and consider it one of those things that will "never" be completed, but just might be one day.

I've not weathered my track work before so it isn't as though it is a must for me. That being said, with each new layout I do I try to incorporate something that hadn't been in the previous one - to "improve" on the previous layout or there isn't really any point in building another, at least not as far as I am concerned. Perhaps that alone will give me the inspiration to do it ... we will see.

I like the idea, but I think your more likely to end up with 400' of multi-coloured track if that happened. 🤣 🤣
So what are you saying - we start a NEW TREND in Model Trains ??? Brilliant!! You bring the Bangers and Mash and Fish and Chips and I'll provide the Tea and Crumpets :)

I've not weathered my track work before so it isn't as though it is a must for me. That being said, with each new layout I do I try to incorporate something that hadn't been in the previous one - to "improve" on the previous layout or there isn't really any point in building another, at least not as far as I am concerned. Perhaps that alone will give me the inspiration to do it ... we will see.
I've never weathered my track, apart from the little bit on my diorama, anything more and that turns into "work", and a hobby should never be that.

I don't, but you do !
Well actually yeah, I do like a beer or two every now and then - maybe over dinner or lunch if we go out to eat other wise I only keep a few stubbies of beer at home to clean the BBQ with before cooking. I will drink anything not used of course, can't waste it :) Bottom line mate, I'm not your typical Aussie drinker; although, I can keep up with quite a few if I tried real hard :)

Back