Aussie Country Railway Station

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Well it is actually a British Station but is very similar to some larger Australian Country Stations :)

Anyway - I built this (an Osborne Kit) a little while ago and lit the interior as well as the beneath the rear (track side) verandah. I was looking at it this evening and realized I never did get around to putting in lights on the platform and the front of it. As such - that is what I have done:

Track Side:

YSUN29p.jpg

cNVMvzJ.jpg

IiefCqz.jpg

Street Side:

GkWsXYE.jpg

rov3MR9.jpg

Pc0GF1H.jpg

And why I shouldn't do electrical stuff:

8jAMqZg.jpg

So, I need to add the resistors to the lights which, yes I know, are not the most realistic for a platform; however, I had/have a heap of them from Aliexpress so what the heck - use your imaginations :)

This is going to be fun to follow! 😜
Fun - really - and who may I ask is it going to be fun FOR hmmmmmmm????????????????? :p :D

Well, all I have to do is hook up the four new lights which wont be that difficult then add a second set of main bus wiring. I am so tempted to put it all on switches so I can turn them on and off as needed. Should have thought about that before I put in the interior lights :(

Last edited:
Fun - really - and who may I ask is it going to be fun FOR hmmmmmmm?????????????????

Well, all I have to do is hook up the four new lights which wont be that difficult then add a second set of main bus wiring. I am so tempted to put it all on switches so I can turn them on and off as needed. Should have thought about that before I put in the interior lights :(
For all your forum Freinds.....of course!

Hmm - well, okay then, seeing as how you put it THAT way :)

I have to learn how to take "night pics of stuff lit up" - none the less, here is an attempt at giving you an idea of what is looks like now. Hopefully I'll have a couple of the platform lights hooked up some time tonight - maybe perhaps ;)

NjGHolO.jpg

Keep in mind, when looking at the light color, this is a station from back in the 50's time frame, give or take. Well, that's my excuse for over doing the yellow tint and no ones gunna tell me different! :p

Have decided to turn this into a small diorama thing - just for something to do and to save it being tossed around with the rest of the surplus crap I seem to have accrued. Nothing too flash, the Station, some Track and maybe a person or two - oh and maybe a fence or something ....

The start:

l7cWS0e.jpg

PS: You can blame Mike (@migalyto) for this. He was the one who said this'll be a fun thing to follow :p

Hmm, this is turning into a bit of a step by step - "how I do things like ballasting" etc. Anyway, hope it is helpful/useful to some people :)

The laying of the Road Bed (Midwest Cork) and Track:

l7cWS0e.jpg

BGL0EvT.jpg

Replaced section of Ties:

aFmCgSy.jpg

The Ballast:

hdEAPP2.jpg

Wetting the Ballast Down - 70% Isopropyl Alcohol:

oX5dIlg.jpg

Adhering the Ballast - 50% White Glue/10% IA/Squirt of Dishwashing Detergent/40%water:

eF5i88f.jpg

Almost dry and with little disturbance of the Ballast:

azPNGES.jpg

I do Ballasting 6" - 12" at a time and allow it to dry to the touch before continuing. As can be seen, I do the inside of the rails first then the outside of the rails last.

The Cork Roadbed is adhered using just Elmers All Purpose White Glue (in case I need to change something later on). The track is adhered using "Projects Liquid Nails" spread thinly down the middle of the cork and spread using the track. I use just enough so it doesn't "squish" up between the ties.

Add a larger resistor to your feed wire, you may have to play around with a few to find the one that gives you the effect your after.
The resistors I used were the ones that came with the lights and I wasn't all that worried about the brightness - however, i think I will add a second of the supplied resistors as you suggested.

My other option, that I have used in the past, is to "dip the lights" into a bit of "Thinned Tamiya Deck Tan Acrylic" paint. That gives the light more of a "Warm Glow" than a bright in your face light.

And ahh - you beat me to the post regards my one above this one :) That was directed at Ballasting :)

The resistors I used were the ones that came with the lights and I wasn't all that worried about the brightness - however, i think I will add a second of the supplied resistors as you suggested.

My other option, that I have used in the past, is to "dip the lights" into a bit of "Thinned Tamiya Deck Tan Acrylic" paint. That gives the light more of a "Warm Glow" than a bright in your face light.
If you add a larger resistor into your live, before the first light, you'll only need the one, or paint them. 🙂

I don't mind the interior lighting, other than it's just a smidgeon too yellow I think. I'll leave that alone. The platform lights I can do though and all of that wiring is exposed and easily accessible for the adding of stuff like resistors :)

So here is how things are looking at the moment:

k6d1aWE.jpg

Played around with weathering the rails as well - not too sure how successful I was though :(

yhHNEnE.jpg

In case it does look okay - I used some Badger Model Flex Red Oxide Paint then ran some Hunterline Driftwood Weathering Solution over the ballast and ties. I wiped the tops of the rails with Model Master Thinner.

It might look better when it is done and put together???

Back