Atlas N scale locomotives and track radius

idiot

I think track radius minimum should be included with every locomotive advertised for sale, BUT->->->

I have a SMALL N scale layout 2'x3'->->->yes SMALL->->-> with 11" outer and some 9 3/4" inner Atlas track.

I would like a 'list" of N scale "DC" Atlas and Bachmann locomotives that "could" run on this layout

This is NOT a
professional model rr, just one for a small space, for a child. Thanks.

Last edited:
I think track radius minimum should be included with every locomotive advertised for sale, BUT->->->

I have a SMALL N scale layout 2'x3'->->->yes SMALL->->-> with 11" outer and some 9 3/4" inner Atlas track.

I would like a 'list" of N scale "DC" Atlas and Bachmann locomotives that "could" run on this layout

This is NOT a
professional model rr, just one for a small space, for a child. Thanks.
At work right now so I don’t have time to make a list but I’m basing my micro layout (21.5” x 35.5”) off of the website stevestrains.com.

He has a 17” x 30” layout that runs 4 axle locos on 7.25” curves. My guess is you shouldn’t have issues running 4 axle locos or short chassis locos like NW2 or S2. Don’t quote me on it tho, I’m still a “newbie”.

At work right now so I don’t have time to make a list but I’m basing my micro layout (21.5” x 35.5”) off of the website stevestrains.com.

He has a 17” x 30” layout that runs 4 axle locos on 7.25” curves. My guess is you shouldn’t have issues running 4 axle locos or short chassis locos like NW2 or S2. Don’t quote me on it tho, I’m still a “newbie”.

I still would like a short list of available N scale locomotives(brand and name) that will run on 9 3/4 radius track. THANK YOU.

I would like a 'list" of N scale "DC" Atlas and Bachmann locomotives that "could" run on this layout.
I would guess all of them. In Atlas terms, their 9 3/4" is the minimum to which they make all of their equipment. In the old Day's Bachmann had smaller, so I would think all of them as well. I just sent a note to Atlas asking them.

I used to run a Bachmann 4-8-4 (a really large loco) on my 9 3/4" curves, so I am guessing once again the answer is all of them.

Generally speaking, all 4-axle diesels should be fine on 9-3/4" radius curves. For 6-axle diesels, use 11" minimum radius curves. Some may possibly be able to run on 9-3/4" radius, but others will not. I know this for a fact, due to a friend that had this problem with his 6-axle diesels.

Steamers are a little more of a crap-shoot, but small-to-medium sized steamers should be able to run on 9-3/4" curves, while the bigger ones can generally do 11" radius okay.

And it never hurts to go bigger with your radii if you have the room for it. All trains will run better and look better the larger the curves they run on.

I run DC Atlas GP 38-2's and Dash 8 40 B's on 11 3/4 radius curves. They track and look fine. My 2 Bachmann Dash 8 40 C's will run on same track but the overhang is very noticeable. There's also a small slow down with these two 6 axle locos in the curves.

Back