Atlas DCC Loco,s

Question ,I have 2 Atlas GP 38 they seam slow even at 28 on my controller , Athearn and Bachmann run fine are Atlas locos just slow??
Generally I would say, "No, Atlas are not generally slow", but then all the caveats.

What do you mean by slow, are they just a little slower or like molasses?
How old are the units, and I mean all the units. Are they all older or all newer or mixed?
How long have they been sitting? Sometimes the grease Atlas used way back turned to muck.
What decoder is in the Atlas?

Newer Atlas are geared lower than stock Athearn Blue box or Bachmann, so yes they will run slower and smother and pull more. Or are you comparing them to the newer Athearn Genesis type locos.
Are these Atlas Silver or Gold line with factory decoders or have they been converted by someone? If the latter and are old they might be 14 step decoders which, yes would run slow.

Sorry don't know how to organize that better. With a bit more information everyone here will be able to help you figure it out.

Reset both decoders, and then set them for 128 speed steps. You may also need to set up your command station differently. Normally, CV29 takes care of all of this, things like which end of the loco is forward, which lights go on, speed steps, long address...

Generally I would say, "No, Atlas are not generally slow", but then all the caveats.

What do you mean by slow, are they just a little slower or like molasses?
How old are the units, and I mean all the units. Are they all older or all newer or mixed?
How long have they been sitting? Sometimes the grease Atlas used way back turned to muck.
What decoder is in the Atlas?

Newer Atlas are geared lower than stock Athearn Blue box or Bachmann, so yes they will run slower and smother and pull more. Or are you comparing them to the newer Athearn Genesis type locos.
Are these Atlas Silver or Gold line with factory decoders or have they been converted by someone? If the latter and are old they might be 14 step decoders which, yes would run slow.

Sorry don't know how to organize that better. With a bit more information everyone here will be able to help you figure it out.
Both are Master Series Locos purchased back in 2012-13 but just now unboxed and set to run , guess I may need to open them up and give them a cleaning and re oil every thing , comparing to an Athearn Genesis purchased about the same time

Reset both decoders, and then set them for 128 speed steps. You may also need to set up your command station differently. Normally, CV29 takes care of all of this, things like which end of the loco is forward, which lights go on, speed steps, long address...
I will do a cleaning the more testing
Thanks

If those are the Atlas Master dual-mode decoders, they will never run compatibly with any other decoder, except possibly Lenz, who I think made them.
You can enable speed tables in them, and set the speed tables to more or less be close to other decoders, but they will never play 100% nice.

Both are Master Series Locos purchased back in 2012-13 but just now unboxed and set to run , guess I may need to open them up and give them a cleaning and re oil every thing , comparing to an Athearn Genesis purchased about the same time
Hmmm, that is interesting. I don't recall any issues with decoders from that time period. But it has been a long time and my memory is not wonderful. My only suggestion would be to change CV #39 to turn of the DC compatibility mode, and see if that make a difference. Usually that is the other way around. The DC operation is slow.

Back