Atlas Classic series

jim81147

Are the Atlas Classic series DCC ready? I have an opportunity to buy a couple decorated for my road but if they are not basically plug and play , they are beyond my dcc skill set.

I am not sure what the Atlas classic series is. I have about 10 Atlas Alco units I picked up when they first came out in the 80's, similar to what Milwaukee Road 113 picked up.

_57_zps4ypnv8py.jpg

If it is similar to this, the are not DCC ready. This is one of the reasons that turns me off for DCC. There is almost no room to install a decoder, let alone a speaker unless quite a bit of the interior weight is cut away. Being that mine are all custom painted and running like a Swiss watch, I ain't going to touch anything.

What kind of locomotives are these?

If it is a yellow box, it is not equipped with an 8 pin dcc connector. Most of the newer classics do have the connector, but not all of the older ones.
Most decoder manufacturers offer a board replacement, or drop in, decoder. Being able to follow written instructions and some basic soldering skills are needed.

any engine can be DCC-ed, DCC ready mostly means there's a socket that you can drop in a decoder. Others you wire them in or wire in your own socket.
The Bachmann 70 ton plymouth switcher the decoder is in the cab on the roof. They actually made a spot for the speaker which is is on the underside where the fuel tank is, its all possible if you want to deal with it.

Engineer:

I have many of the Atlas Classic series locos and if I remember correctly I used the Atlas duel mode decoders as a direct replacement for the light board. I simple install.

If you can't find the Atlas decoders, check with NCE and see what their decoder selection offers for the Classics.

I heard that NCE manufactured the Atlas decoders.

Have fun, the process is easy. Just be sure to change the jumper on the Atlas Dual mode decoders. Its the green pin on the illustration below.

The old yellow box Atlas locos were not DCC ready or would accept a drop in Atlas decoder. The Classic came in a box that indicated that they were the Classic models. Great runners.

340.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, the decoder wiring can be attached using the plastic retainer clips from the original factory installation, if you do not want to do soldering. Soldering is the preferred method.

Thanks.

Greg

The N scale Atlas Classics are DCC ready, I would imagine that Atlas would do the same for HO; after all they are a pretty up to date company. Don't be afraid to install a decoder, especially if it's one with a "goof proof warranty". A small soldering iron and a certain amount of attention to detail will get you a long ways. There are plenty of how-to's on the web and plenty of help is available here. If I can install decoders in N scale, you can do it in HO. Now's as good a time as any!

Are the Atlas Classic series DCC ready? I have an opportunity to buy a couple decorated for my road but if they are not basically plug and play , they are beyond my dcc skill set.
Are you talking about HO or N scale. If I am reading the Atlas web site properly in HO it depends on the exact model. The GP7s, C425s, and RS-11 have an 8 pin NMRA plug, while it is not mentioned at all for the the RS-3 nor RS-4/5.

However I think you might find one of the DCC decoders made to be a direct replacement of the existing circuit board is easier to install than a plug in 8 pin NMRA conversion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Atlas' website says the RS-3 and RSD-4/5 Classic analog version has an eight pin socket for DCC. You can go to their website and check the part numbers, if known, on their past products list. Might be able to get the necessary info there. If all else fails, try an email to them.

What exact model and road numbers are the actual locomotives you are looking to get? Atlas's website has most of the previous release dates for their models. I have found that you can usually trace the model back and find out if was DCC ready or not with the product info. I've done it a few times before purchases.

-LW

I am looking to get 2 RS-3 , model # 7027 and 7028 . The road numbers are 5201 and 5202 for DRG . I will try to see if I can find it on the website . The guy says the boxes say "classic" on them .

Well we will see what Atlas has to say . I found them on their site but it made no mention either way if the came DCC ready. Thanks for the help.

I got a reply from Atlas and these are not DCC ready . He said it would need a circuit board change . That sounds beyond my abilities.

Engineer:

The change out of the original board with a decoder is simple. Almost foolproof. The decoder can be purchased for less than $25.00.

Give it a try.

Thanks.

Greg

If you can do simple soldering, read and follow instructions and have decent eye sight and more skills this job would be possible for you to do. Plus TCS has a goof proof warranty, so even if you burnt up your decoder they would give you another. Can't beat an opportunity to learn a new skill with backing like that.

Greg, I have one of the original Atlas RS -3's and there is hardly any room for anything under the shell because of the size of the weight. There was no DCC when these came out in the 80's and a portion of the weight would have to be milled out or cut out. I was considering a long time ago but the work required to make room for decoders on my fleet of Alcos was a big turn off for me.

Jim, make sure that there is room for the board. While visiting friends in Missouri a number of years ago, one of them who is a DCC freak converted one of my brass locomotives to DCC in a matter of just a few minutes, including sound. I was suprised at how easy it was.

This was the email he sent me :

Hello,
They do not come with the plug in socket. You would have to change the PC board out for a decoder.

Steve

Steve Millenbach
Customer Service Manager
Atlas Model Railroad Co
908-687-0880 Ext 7147

He does not say anything about milling down the weight . I did leave him a call asking about that . Hopefully I will know soon . I would really like the RS-3 's in DRG but it does not look like they will be available anytime soon . Bob , you make a good point about the TCS decoders , its something to consider . If I were to attempt this is the worst thing I could do is fry a decoder or could I damage the engine ?

The RS units I have are the very first ones they put out some time in the 80's. I know that the weight fills up the inside of the body shell on these units, but if you have a later version, perhaps the weights are different and will have room for a decoder. The units I have don't even have a circuit board in them.

I just spoke with Steve on the phone and he told me that on the Classic series you have to unplug the PC board and plug in a decoder , but the motor is already isolated for DCC compatability . You would have to mill room if you wanted to put in sound .

Back