Athearn P42s are junk.

Amtrak47

Hello everyone, I would to tell/warn you all about the Latest release of P42's from Athearn.

These locomotives may seem beautiful in appearence but do not be fooled. I got 2 new athearn p42's for x-mas (the latest run of p42's) And within 2 seconds of being on the test track, they died.... Note: I did not run them at the same time, I tried to run them each seperate. I'm very dissapointed with Athearn because I've always had good luck with their products. I know for a fact that my tracks are not the problem, my other locomotives ran fine. Word to the wise, unless you know how to tinker with engine motors, spend the extra money on Kato's P42's they just run perfectly :(

Anyone else have this problem with Athearn locomotives?

I had an RTR SD45 that had a short in the motor. It blew up the decoder 30 seconds after installation. Both motor and decoder were replaced under warranty. I've had no other trouble with them in recent memory.

Hello everyone, I would to tell/warn you all about the Latest release of P42's from Athearn.

These locomotives may seem beautiful in appearence but do not be fooled. I got 2 new athearn p42's for x-mas (the latest run of p42's) And within 2 seconds of being on the test track, they died.... Note: I did not run them at the same time, I tried to run them each seperate. I'm very dissapointed with Athearn because I've always had good luck with their products. I know for a fact that my tracks are not the problem, my other locomotives ran fine. Word to the wise, unless you know how to tinker with engine motors, spend the extra money on Kato's P42's they just run perfectly :(

Anyone else have this problem with Athearn locomotives?

You say, "on the test track". Is this the programming track or the actual running track?
Have you tried to reset the decoder to the default settings, i.e. CV 8=8?

I got 2 new athearn p42's for x-mas (the latest run of p42's) And within 2 seconds of being on the test track, they died.... Note: I did not run them at the same time, I tried to run them each seperate.
That is a little distressing to hear, but please tell us some more about your test track. What is the power supply and configuration? Is this DC or DCC and is it the locomotive motor, drive train, or electronics that have failed?

That is a little distressing to hear, but please tell us some more about your test track. What is the power supply and configuration? Is this DC or DCC and is it the locomotive motor, drive train, or electronics that have failed?

I haven't added dcc decoders to the locomotives yet (I know nothing about that) My "test track" Is a simple oval of dc track from bachmann. Power supply is your typical controller you'd get in any Bachmann train set, The track isn't old at all, actually I've barely used it to be honest. I really want to say it's the locomotive's motors that have failed, on 1 of the units, the lights come on, but does not run, and on the 2nd unit, nothing, no lights, no motor, nothing. Also when I bought them, they were still "DCC ready" no decoders were added.

I'm going to email Athearn, to see what they say, but if anyone has any ideas or advice, it'd be much appreciated!

I've attached a couple pictures of the units in their boxes to show the running numbers. IMG_3105.JPGIMG_3106.JPG

Have you tried to remove the shells and run them that way? The control board may have come loose from the motor if the box was dropped. This is a press fit board. The shell will come off with the help of a small Phillips screwdriver. I can't remember if there are more than two screws on the P42s. Just be careful.

Have you tried to remove the shells and run them that way? The control board may have come loose from the motor if the box was dropped. This is a press fit board. The shell will come off with the help of a small Phillips screwdriver. I can't remember if there are more than two screws on the P42s. Just be careful.

........:confused::confused::confused:

Is your Bachmann controller a dcc or dc controller? I know they include one or the other depending on the set you buy. DCC controller will cook DC components.

Well, then, let us know what they say is wrong with them when you return them to the hobby shop you purchased them from.

I will agree, the Athearn P42s are not that great. I have owned 3 of these, one of them was dead out of the box, so had to send it back to get another one. The new one and loco #2 run just OK but they seem to struggle on the layout and seem to want to derail. Mine are from an older batch, I have had these at least 4 years or so now.

I have two of them for about 4 & 2 years respectively. Both run great. Of course, I took the shells off to install Dcc decoders in them.

I would bet in the OP's case he has a lose wire that has slipped out of the crappy plastic clips. Some solder onto the wires to the pads and it'll probably work. Or it's a dead motor, bad batch. Contact Athearn and I'm sure they'll arrange a return/exchange whatever you want.

Brad

PS one word of caution to anyone taking the shells of Athearn P42s...the 4 little ladders on the shell seem to be spring loaded to launch themselves into oblivion and get lost. I didn't lose mine, but just a word to the wise...

Not too long ago I had a problem pop up with an Athearn F7. They repaired and returned it and it was a good experience. I just called them on the phone first.

I did contact Athearn, they said to send them in for repair, so i'm going to do that :D Hopefully they can fix this problem. I really love P42s

Thanks for starting this thread. I was going to get one. Wondering how they do on DCC or is it literally the motor itself? I have an older Athearn P42 with the DCC quick plug and it was LOUD before the decoder.

Stuff made in China gets shipped here with very marginal, spotty testing (if any). So having someone here look inside a 'problem' unit is actually a nice thing.

Back