Athearn Diesel

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
Does anyone know how to get the gear head/truck assy. front & back out of an Athearn engine frame?
I'm going to try to make a contact change in the diesel running gear.
Am I giving you the correct name for the parts?

Larry

Thanks Guys!!
I'll start on it tomorrow & let U know how it turned out.

Larry

Nice photo essay there, Josh. Getting the cover off the gear towers is dead easy...once you know you just pry them off. I can remember looking at one many years ago and thinking it had to be held on by a screw or tab or something before I realized it's just a slot and friction.

Josh,

Thanks for the info on your web site. You show the motor already out, do I need to have it out before I take out the trucks or can I do it w/the motor in?

Larry
Larry, I see there were already replies, but no, its not required. I removed the whole thing to ease my photography efforts. Funny thing that is a RPP SD90 chassis.

The same process works fro Atlas, P2K & Kato too. Never dropped the trucks out of anything else yet.

Larry- Glad they guided you thru the slow way to get the trucks loose.
I discovered a much faster way a couple weeks ago. set the engine on the track next to the edge of the layout where it is convenient to reach. Reach out and hook the cuff of your shirt sleeve on the headlight, then immediately pull your arm back to your chest in one smooth powerfull motion. When the engine hits the floor, the trucks become disassembled.
Depending on the gravity to height ratio, other parts dispurse to the far corners of the room. :rolleyes:
Gathering up the many parts takes more time than taking it apart the slow way. Hope you can learn from my experience.
Mikey

Larry- Glad they guided you thru the slow way to get the trucks loose.
I discovered a much faster way a couple weeks ago. set the engine on the track next to the edge of the layout where it is convenient to reach. Reach out and hook the cuff of your shirt sleeve on the headlight, then immediately pull your arm back to your chest in one smooth powerfull motion. When the engine hits the floor, the trucks become disassembled.
Depending on the gravity to height ratio, other parts dispurse to the far corners of the room. :rolleyes:
Gathering up the many parts takes more time than taking it apart the slow way. Hope you can learn from my experience.
Mikey

Mikey, oh the pain of it all!!!! We've all been there, done that at one time or another. You just gotta shake your head, say OPPS, then pick it up and try to put it all back together. I feel your pain. :eek:

And it's even worse when it's an engine you just got done detailing, painting, and decaling. That one really hurt. :(

Throttle cords work almost as good as cuffs if you're wearing short sleeves at the time.
Thought I'd share.

Back