Are model trains a good investment

eBay can be wonderful if you find the right auctions with a seller who either doesn't know what they have and how to list it, or decides to be lazy and sell lots instead of individual items. But really that's kinda like the classic cars discussion. It's buying up classics that you already know the current value of and knowing that you can resell it at a profit. For instance, I came across a guy who'd bought an estate and was selling the locos and rolling stock in lots of ten. He had no idea what any of it was or how to list it to get eyes on it, not to mention that in lots of ten you can't pick up the people who are searching for a particular item. I bought ten locomotives, all older but in pristine like-new condition, for $160. That's $16 per loco, and one of them was an original factory-produced Erie-Built. I resold the locos, listing them individually back on eBay, and not a single one went for less than $50. The Erie Built sold for over $200. The thing is, when you're selling a mixed lot like that, even people who DO want one or two of the items aren't really willing to buy all ten just to get the one they want. And honestly, from his pictures I wasn't completely sure of exactly what I was getting with all ten units, but I saw enough to figure I couldn't lose as long as they went cheap even if I kept some duds as museum decorations. The Erie Built was a huge and very pleasant surprise, though as I said they were all in beautiful condition and sold well when listed properly. Anyway, I bought several lots from this guy over a week or two, and then either someone clued him in or he wised up on his own. Once he started listing things individually and giving adequate descriptions the prices of course went to market value instead of bargain basement. It was nice while it lasted :D

... The return on my investment has been countless hours of fun and entertainment and that makes them priceless to me.

Amen to that, Louis! I most assuredly feel the same way.

I got criticized on another forum because I don't purposely do any RTR. (I own less than 10). I prefer kits. I was told that I'd never have a layout because I'd never get enough cars built! I also told them that I paint and decal all my engines, and since most of my cars are kits, they get the same treatment. Again "You'll never have anything". I told them that what they should do is find out a couple of things about who they are criticizing.

I've been in the HO side of the hobby since I was 8, so at that time, I had been in it for 50yrs. I had over 30 engines, most of which were brass, I owned over 400 cars, and all but about 50 of those were completed. I was currently building my last layout and had about 75% of the track down and it was 90% handlaid. If they wanted to see what I was building, all they had to do was look at my website. As far as I know, no one there ever did. (There is a comment section in it). What they did start doing was ignoring me on the forum, so I stopped posting there. This was about 4-5 years ago.

I had even broke down the money for a kit, paint and glue, versus the hours of enjoyment I got out of the model building experience. Which you can never get with RTR. Now RTR is how a lot of guys and gals "do" the hobby today, but it's not my way. I would never criticize anyone on how they enjoyed the hobby as there is no one "correct" way.

CJ I like to call it SPD (smile per dollar) Trains provide a tremendous SPD for me and for many others.

It's base human nature to be critical of things you can't do, don't have or things that are different. It's sad to think these people can only be happy if they criticize others. it's even more distressing to see how many people are like that. it's not just in our hobby it can be anything. I have used other forums and I don't like them because most have many inconsiderate and arrogant people. This is the best forum because of it's great members.

To ignore expertise is just plain STUPID! When I was 24 I took over the General Tire store here in southeast Baltimore. The store had been losing money for 11 consecutive years. I turned it around and broke even in 6 months, 2 months later I had the number 2 commercial tire service center in the General Tire company owned chain of stores. I was no boy wonder. I had 2 experienced service men on my crew, one was 54 the other 63. They were the geniuses, I listened, I learned and I worked hard, they propelled my career. The previous managers of the store were every bit as stupid as the members of that forum that ignored you.

One of the many reasons I respect and admire you is because of your skills, experience and knowledge in our hobby. Many people who have far less of all 3 are very critical of others. You rise above all that. You are quick to encourage and support those with less skills and or a different way of enjoying our hobby. You are always ready to share your knowledge and experience.

I love my RTR stuff, but I wish I had gotten into this hobby (more than Christmas trains) when I had good dexterity in my hands. More and more I want to do custom work. There are things I would like to have that no manufacturer makes. For example the Canton Railroad, minutes from my house. I have only seen one model of the Canton railroad and it's not the one I want.

Recently my 1974 Lionel GP 20 broke down. The price to buy the parts was outrageous. I found another one on eBay for less then half the price of the parts. I thought I would cannibalize it for parts to fix mine. When it came in the mail it turned out to be in perfect condition, it looked and ran like brand new. Now my plan is to use the shell from the broken one to create a Canton Railroad locomotive, then fix the drive line and I will have exactly what I want! I have plans to put in modern trucks, LED lighting and command control.

In the next 2 years my wife and I are going to buy a house and the basement will have to accommodate my hobby. I want room for a moderate size O gauge layout and for 2 small HO and N scale layouts too! I also want room to have a work bench of sufficient size to take on custom projects for myself. If I have space to let the project sit I can work on it on good days. If the project takes me a year or more, that will be fine. If I have to redo it over and over to get it to be acceptable to me, that will be fine too.

My wife had the great idea of using an extra bedroom in the new house for my 'project room" I am so lucky to have her :) and I am lucky to have you to advise me. So take good care of yourself because I am going to need your expertise in modeling.

In the next few years I project my SPD will be even better!

ctn_gp7r_1307.jpg

Carey and Louis, that was beautifully stated. I have a problem myself with being stubborn about wanting it done "my way", which is a character flaw I'm constantly battling. Hard to undo the habits of 40+ years, but I'm working on it.

I completely agree that while RTR is beautiful all on its own, I do really get the most satisfaction from creating a locomotive's pretty dress all on my own. Well, with a little help from Microscale or whoever :) While running trains is fun by itself, developing the art and skill to make something that's not even available as a mass-produced item is downright thrilling and rewarding as far as I'm concerned. I mean, I now own a PRR Erie Built in N-scale that if not completely unique is certainly an extremely rare thing to exist. I did that, and I did it while having to come up with custom-made parts to accomplish anything even close to the prototype. I'm proud of that and I enjoyed the heck out of figuring out how to do it and make it work.

The next project after I finish up a few SD40-2's for my Norfolk Southern fleet is modifying a GP50 to turn it into a GP33ECO, most likely complete with Norfolk Southern's green wave paint scheme. I'm not sure they'll paint all the locos in this scheme or just a couple, but I've already got the biggest part of the decals designed, so providing I can get the custom printed decals to work on those as well as they did on my Midland Valley units I may just have some nice yard locos. I even found an LED whose lens has a skinny "prong" that extends from the main lens and will be perfect for the beacons on the cab. Wish me luck!
7486.1420986048.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Mike, I don't believe you have anything to work on. There is nothing wrong with doing things your way. In fact I think it is best to do things our own way.

The people who do have something to work on are the ones who try to make others do things their way, that is not you.

They are good looking locomotives by the way!

Back