Anyone tried Rail Pro?

Not seen this system before. It looks amazing and very user-friendly. Not sure if it is available here in the UK, or what the price would be, but looks great!

Alan, I remember reading somewhere on the RailPro site that the system was only available in the US. I think it had something to do with radio frequency allocations being different or unavailable elsewhere.

Joe

Digitrax is very user unfriendly system and should not be used as a basis for deciding DCC is to be avoided.

I've used most of the DCC systems out there on multiple layouts, and this information is just wrong. I have found the Digitrax system to be just as user friendly as any of the others. I'm also a Digitrax user since 98' and haven't had any "problems" with it's so called "user unfriendliness", as it doesn't exist.

Selecting a locomotive on it, and even programming a loco I find to be just as easy on a DT402, as on an NCE. There are many other Digitrax users who feel the same way.

I really thought that these kind of anti-(insert system name here), comments were long gone. All systems can now do what each other system does and just as easy.

I've always found you to be a knowledgeable and helpful forum member, so I don't understand your vehemence toward Digitrax.

I've never said anything like this about any of the other systems, and I don't intend to start. Choosing a system is a matter of personal taste, and saying things like this is totally unhelpful.

I have to apologize for my outburst, fcwilt. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter what it is. I'm sure I've said things that have ticked others off, but that is never my intention.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used most of the DCC systems out there on multiple layouts, and this information is just wrong. I have found the Digitrax system to be just as user friendly as any of the others. I'm also a Digitrax user since 98' and haven't had any "problems" with it's so called "user unfriendliness", as it doesn't exist.

Selecting a locomotive on it, and even programming a loco I find to be just as easy on a DT402, as on an NCE. There are many other Digitrax users who feel the same way.

I really thought that these kind of anti-(insert system name here), comments were long gone. All systems can now do what each other system does and just as easy.

I've always found you to be a knowledgeable and helpful forum member, so I don't understand your vehemence toward Digitrax.

I've never said anything like this about any of the other systems, and I don't intend to start. Choosing a system is a matter of personal taste, and saying things like this is totally unhelpful.

I have to apologize for my outburst, fcwilt. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter what it is. I'm sure I've said things that have ticked others off, but that is never my intention.

Hey I happen to own and use Digitrax - it's good stuff.

BUT when you compare the user interface on something like RailPro (the system asked about), the Roco Z21 and some other systems, controlling/configuring locos/trains via a DT402 is not as simple.

Much of the "difficulty" is simply due to the limited amount of information that can be displayed on the DT402 compared to what can be displayed on a phone/tablet.

I've talked with some folks who are overwhelmed when trying to program modern sound decoders from the throttle and that is understandable. Then when you introduce them to JMRI DecoderPro, TrainProgrammer and similar programs they usually find it much more manageable, in no small part to the user interface and the ability to display more meaningful information.

I know it is true for me (at 65) that remembering what F number controls what decoder function - especially now that many systems make use of F0 through F28 - is not so easy. Contrast that with a device that displays a name/icon on the function buttons.

See the attached image for an example of the user interface from the Z21. Now this is a product from Europe so some of the terms shown are not the ones we would use.

But please feel free to take me to task anytime you think I'm wrong. ;)

Attachments

• fleischman-roco-z21-ipad.jpg
    fleischman-roco-z21-ipad.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 150
Not seen this system before. It looks amazing and very user-friendly. Not sure if it is available here in the UK, or what the price would be, but looks great!

Alan I just looked at the Ring Engineering site again, and I will have to admit to ADD striking again. Here is a quote from the site that I failed to read thoroughly, I just skimmed it as usual and came to the wrong conclusion. I apologize for my misguided answer.

Orders Shipped to USA Residents Only

• If you live outside of the USA please check with your local hobby shop to buy our products. Ring Engineering products are available from Hobby Shops around the world.

Joe
RailPro products are available at excellent prices from Yankee Dabbler, http://www.yankeedabbler.com/ . They are great folks with great service and prices. By what I read on their website, they will ship foreign orders including Canada. Check out their website, they have a bunch of information regarding RailPro.

Mel

I'm lucky enough to live 10 mins from Yankee Dabbler (New Jersey Location). As Mel said they are fantastic and they have boxes of railpro stuff in stock everytime I'm there, which is probably too often!!!

-Laurence

After a lot of head scratching about control systems I ordered Railpro this am. Patiently waiting by the mailbox lol

Rick

I got my Railpro system the other day and set up a test track to tinker with this thing. Stuffed decoders in a couple DCC ready locos and commenced to figuring out setup. It truly couldn't have been easier. These were just basic non sound units,but all lights functioned correctly with the appropriate buttons and the control was very nice. Creepy crawly slow speeds and very smooth acceleration. I just finished the room remodel for the layout and am going to get started in the next week on benchwork. I can't wait to get more time on the system but as of now I'm sold.

Congrats on getting Railpro! Hope you're able to get your layout up and running quickly. You're going to love using it.

For those of you interested, there's been a Railpro Users group set up on Yahoo: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RailProUsers/info

Apparently it's been up for a few months but I just found out about it. Hopefully Railpro users and others can gather there and discuss/share/help. Eventually I'm hoping that it can become a repository of user-recorded sounds that can be downloaded by other Railpro users, as well as other files.

-Kevin

Thanks for the report Roofintrash, it just keeps sounding better all the time.

Also, thank you Kevin for the link to the user group.

Joe

G'day ..I'll throw my 2 cents worth if I may.Lots of 2 cents soon adds up..One weekend maybe 18 months ago i stumbled on a Rail Pro video on You Tube..I thought that this looked too good to be true especially with consisting but i read a bit here and there since then and decided if anyone wanted to go proprietary then this might well be the way to go...Actually looks pretty good..
Even within DCC there are apples and oranges and yesterday I started a thread in another department about that very thing..I think it's best to say "Whatever floats your boat " in any form of our incredible hobby..Rail Pro seems to be a pretty decent alternative....Cheers Rod

G'day all....Just curious on price....Compared to a reasonable DCC system like Digitrax or NCE or such or even for MTH's DCS..how does Rail Pro stack up ? Cheers Rod

Hii Rod
I have the RailPro starter RPK-1 which includes a handheld controller. 5amp power supply with transmitter, and charger. Also includes wire leads to hook controller to computer, a good easy to read and follow instruction booklet. This is all I need to run my 12x19 foot layout, I may need an automatic reverse controller later for an extra $40.00. All this from Yankee Dabbler for $299.00. Sound and non sound module for the locos or accessories are extra. Now remember this system is radio control, no wires from controller to the rest of the system.

Digitrax Super Chief 5 amp with duplex radio control at Yankee Dabbler for $508.89 for the starter set. Locomotive decoders are extra too. This is a radio control system also, there is other Digitrax systems available that are not radio control for less money than this.

Have a super day
Mel

Hii Rod
I have the RailPro starter RPK-1 which includes a handheld controller. 5amp power supply with transmitter, and charger. Also includes wire leads to hook controller to computer, a good easy to read and follow instruction booklet. This is all I need to run my 12x19 foot layout, I may need an automatic reverse controller later for an extra $40.00. All this from Yankee Dabbler for $299.00. Sound and non sound module for the locos or accessories are extra. Now remember this system is radio control, no wires from controller to the rest of the system.

Digitrax Super Chief 5 amp with duplex radio control at Yankee Dabbler for $508.89 for the starter set. Locomotive decoders are extra too. This is a radio control system also, there is other Digitrax systems available that are not radio control for less money than this.

Have a super day
Mel

Something you need to keep in mind is the incremental cost of a system as you expand. If you need more throttles, a Digitrax DT402D costs around $190 and a UT4D (limited feature "engineer's throttle") costs around $110. If you get a PC interface, you can even use smartphone throttles, plus, you do have the option of wired throttles if you wish to save some money. With RailPro you have one choice, and it's $240. The RailPro locomotive sound modules are on par with DCC sound decoders (more than some, but also less than others); however, if you do not want sound in all of your locos (and from what I've seen, most don't), the RailPro non-sound locomotive module is $48 - you can get DCC non-sound decoders for less than $20. Go much beyond a lone wolf operator with a handful of locomotives, and RailPro can quickly become much more expensive than DCC.

P.S. In many cases yo can use a Digitrax Zephyr Xtra (which will easily run many home layouts) instead of a Super Chief for the command station to save money as well.

Back