Another WTH Ebay Moment

Hello all.

This auction caught my eye. Detail Associates steel washers, 2-56 size, 6 in the package.

For the low, low price of $35.00.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Detail-Assoc...el_RR_Trains&hash=item5886ade136#ht_627wt_952

I can go to Fastenal or another place and get a few hundred washers at that price. Even if it's a typo and the price was supposed to be $3.50, that my friends is a rip-off.

Timothy Dineen

I know the Prantles , this is a misprint -- the Prantles are nice people and are not out to cheat anbody.
I used to sell them "The Good Ones" , hi strength cutoff discs that outperform Dremel discs by many times. I had stopped promoting the disks for a number of years due to a regular day to day job that took all my time , bur as soon as I am settled in Colorado I will be back in the disk business~!

I have purchased many hundreds (perhaps over 1k$) from the Prantles from here in Australia an I have always found them to be 100% reliable and honorable. I too can only assume this is typo. Send them a message and let them know, they may not have realized it.

Cheers,

Here's one that is listed as "New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item (including handmade items)".

But, right after this description is this; Looks new and never used! Vintage AHM N-Scale Diesel RR Locomotive, Burlington Route 549, Shunter Switcher (runs forward and reverse!). As good as it gets, simply the best! Hard to find item, RARE, don't let this one get away! One of the steps is broken off and missing on left back-side (see in main photo). (Bold emphasis is mine.)
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-N-Sc...894726?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2a2249e5c6

Yep, this AHM relic is really high on my list..............NOT!

You can make a hobby out of finding listings like this on e-Bay. There is no shortage of folks who have no idea of the value of what they are selling. I once found a listing of an Akane AC-9 2-8-8-4 listed at around $2500.00. This is at best a $400-500.00 model. I e-mailed the seller and showed him some links to closed auctions and brass sites with the same model. He replied with thanks and did say he was just learning. These folks will weed themselves out of the process, as they must pay listing fees based on the value of their opening bid. Then again, some bidiot may actually buy the thing. A fool and his money...

The buyer has the power, and it's hard to beat an intelligent one.

Hello all.

I wasn't saying that the Prantles were out to rip people off. I just figured it was a typo that someone had missed and pointed it out.

Believe me, I've seen their auctions for years, and if they were out to rip people off, they wouldn't be on eBay anymore.

Timothy Dineen

Hello all.

This auction caught my eye. Detail Associates steel washers, 2-56 size, 6 in the package.

For the low, low price of $35.00.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Detail-Assoc...el_RR_Trains&hash=item5886ade136#ht_627wt_952

I can go to Fastenal or another place and get a few hundred washers at that price. Even if it's a typo and the price was supposed to be $3.50, that my friends is a rip-off.

Timothy Dineen

I know the Prantles , this is a misprint -- the Prantles are nice people and are not out to cheat anbody.
I used to sell them "The Good Ones" , hi strength cutoff discs that outperform Dremel discs by many times. I had stopped promoting the disks for a number of years due to a regular day to day job that took all my time , bur as soon as I am settled in Colorado I will be back in the disk business~!

I agree obvious error. I'm sure if you send them a message they'll fix it. I've been dealing with them for a year now. They're easy to deal with.

My only issue is they don't seem to order the 2 things I been asking them for. No Big deal just have to find those else where.

Did anyone else see the "Lincoln Funeral Car" posting. It was made by AHM in the late 1960s early 1970s. It is truly rare. But they put it with 3 other AHM old time passenger cars and wanted $200 starting bid. Rare does not necessarily mean valuable. For one in perfect condition, in a perfect "true to blueprint" box, with a perfect tray or foam, I would think-about-it up to about $45.

Hello all.

I wasn't saying that the Prantles were out to rip people off. I just figured it was a typo that someone had missed and pointed it out.

Believe me, I've seen their auctions for years, and if they were out to rip people off, they wouldn't be on eBay anymore.

Timothy Dineen

Hi Timothy,

No, I certainly didn't take your post that way. ;)

I just saw this thread for the first time.

I was wondering about that model home - is this from a scam artist who hopes to nail some sucker or from someone who is seriously confused about the quality of his work?

These always make me chuckle: http://www.ebay.com/itm/WESTSIDE-BRASS-4-6-6-4-D-RGW-CHALLENGER-new-price-free-shipping-/190708808039?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2c67217967

If you're going to try to sell something for nearly $600, best not to show a price tag and receipt for less than 1/3 asking price. Yes, it may be worth the asking price, and that receipt may be from the stone ages of model railroading, but it still looks bad.

Not necessarily Ian. Brass buyers are pretty smart about what models are worth. I have bought a number of brass steamers over the years, and finding the original receipts is actually a good thing. It tells me that the original owner was at least a little fussy, therefore the model will likely be in pretty good shape. The listing itself is pretty good. He says it's used, but the photos show wheel plating that is intact and shows signs of "test run only". The original foam has disintegrated, but he gives you enough photos to show that the brass has not been damaged (it is possible!) The coupler pocket bag and spare parts bag are there and unopened. There is no coupler installed on the tender, so this model most likely never pulled a train. All in all a fair price for anyone looking for a D&RGW Challenger. With brass collectors/operators, the rules are a little different. We're all a little obsessed! :D

I'll take this thread in a different direction.

Last nite while trolling e-bay I saw a listing for a KCS 2-10-2. While KCS isn't my primary RR, the price intruigued me. Bottom line - NIB, DCC (no sound) ready for $70.00? He shoots - he scores! I guess there isn't a lot of KCS modelers out there after all.

I hope that this a typo - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campbell-Sc...991499?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item232190c68b

If ya look at the sellers other items, it would seem everything is a couple of decimal points off.

If you click on the link now, it's $59.99. Much more reasonable. What some of these folks apparently don't do is check the current availability of the item. They believe that if the item is old, its no longer available and then it becomes much more "valuable".

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll take this thread in a different direction.

Last nite while trolling e-bay I saw a listing for a KCS 2-10-2. While KCS isn't my primary RR, the price intruigued me. Bottom line - NIB, DCC (no sound) ready for $70.00? He shoots - he scores! I guess there isn't a lot of KCS modelers out there after all.

It's most likely a Bachmann Spectrum model.

Back