Airports And Airplanes!

VinnyV123

In my soon-to-be layout, I plan for an airport. Does anyone know where we could buy the airport, runways, planes etc? We want to build a small county airport.

Vinny,

You can use the same scenery techniques for making road to make your runways and taxiways. If it is a small country strip, maybe it has a grass runway?

I can't think of any airport buildings. A multi story yard office might make a good control tower.

Glenn

Small country airports that im familar with are nothing more than a long mowed strip in a field with room on either end for takeoff and landing. Towards the middle of the runways are usually a couple hangers, a small office, and a small mowed area for plane storage.

I live out in the country, and we've got a paved airstrip. One runway, gas pumps, office, derelict hangar, and a couple newer corrugated hangers. An unpaved airstrip would be a nightmare in the winter/early spring (wouldn't want to try landing a plane on mud). Anything tall around it (antenna towers) have flashing lights on them so that they don't take off someone's landing gear.

Vinny, If you're talking N scale then the closest things you'll find are 1/144th scale. This is pretty much airliner scale but there are an increasing number of military being released in the last several years. As far as light aircraft, none that I know of. Minicraft has a DC-3 kit that may work for you. (Also could be a military C-47) Hasacawa(sp?) also has airliners in 1/200 that might be used with a little forced perspective. In HO, AHM or IHC did a tower and a hanger for a small field and contrary to the e-bay link above I do not believe Bachmann ever released their hanger in HO. It was in the larger S-O scale range.

To bad there not N Scale. It would be fun to pull off a modern airport. Big prodject.

MyReadingSig.png

If you need info on airport details let me know. I happen to know a thing or two about them. If you are putting in a runway and need info on markings or anything I can help there too.

THings to consider is what kind of traffic you would be looking for. Large airports of course have longer runways but also mark the runways and taxiways differently than small airports. You could also have fun lighting the airport and the beacon that goes with it.

If you need info on airport details let me know. I happen to know a thing or two about them. If you are putting in a runway and need info on markings or anything I can help there too.

THings to consider is what kind of traffic you would be looking for. Large airports of course have longer runways but also mark the runways and taxiways differently than small airports. You could also have fun lighting the airport and the beacon that goes with it.

I have been tinkering with a Gear Motor lighthouse circuit and here is the result.

http://s634.photobucket.com/albums/uu61/mgwsy1990/temp/?action=view&current=MOV06437.flv

Even tried to do the Double white flash for military airports.

http://s634.photobucket.com/albums/uu61/mgwsy1990/temp/?action=view&current=MOV06447.flv

I was thinking of doing a runway scene with full ILS ALSF-2 Configuration lighting on the end too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the lights. That would be very cool to see but not sure where it would go on that layout of yours. Course there are no rules that can't be bent some.

The AIM ( Aeronautical Information Manual) is a great resource for runway info.

I have an old AIM somewhere, lol. I might just make a small airport like Northampton as a big airport requires to much space , just the ALSF-2 approach lighting would be around 34' long, lol.

Yeah that would be a project. But how cool would that look when doing some night running?

There are large airports that have runways without approach light systems so complex. Sometimes less often used runways, or runways used almost exclusively for departures due to terrain or something like that.

Back