Accurail's 36 foot Fowler Wood Box car.

N

NP2626

I have been seeing these Fowler 36 foot Box Cars in the "What's New" departments of the modeling press. Once I found out that these cars were still in use in 1952, I decided I needed to buy one. I have to say if you like building kit freight cars, you will love this new car from Accurail. Accurail is providing more enhanced brake details for this kit, along with more scale sized stirrups that are glued to the car chassis. I am very impressed with what Accurail is doing with this new freight car line. These new, more accurately detailed freight cars with additional details sell for the same price as there old box car kits, less than $20.00. I'm going to have to build a few of these cars! I have completed the building of the car and am very impressed! Parts fit is excellent and the engineering is superb! The car still has molded on ladders and grabs, however, the molding of these details is very crisp.

Great review. I like Accurail kits. I wish they would offer some more modern offerings too. It would be a very affordable way to build up a fleet.

Mark - Did you intend to attach a picture or a link, or do we have to google them?;)
Mike - I have a number of PS-2 rib-sided covered hoppers from Accurail that have great detail like Mark posted regarding the boxcars. Many are still in use on railroads today. They have also got an ACF covered hopper with a little less detail that is still in use. If you already own some, then you might be aware that they offer a decal kit with twelve extra numbers for most of their products for only $4. They offer ATSF in four numbers to begin with, so it's possible to have 16 different numbers, many more if you're willing to cut and paste the decals.
For what it's worth, I have over 100 Accurail freight cars, I obviously like them as well.

Mike, strongly suggest visiting Accurails website: http://www.accurail.com/accurail/ it looks to me like they have a few more modern cars to offer. Sorry, I don't pay any attention to more modern railroads, so, don't know/care about what is available for the modern era.

Willie, you might be one of those guys who feel if a post has no photos then it doesn't really exist, didn't really happen. However, the reality is that photos exist in the advertisements for this car. So, mine is a Canadian Pacific car; but, looks just like this one>>>

1539943093977.png

Yes the Accurail website lists 9 of these box cars that have been released right now, & more pending in the future. Of the released now, undec. & data only are included which is what I'm getting so I can apply some Oregon logging names to them.
Thanks for the word on these Mark..............

In the picture above, you can see that the brake hardware is standing proud of the car frame. The brake cylinder and brake rods and bell-cranks as well as the stirrups are separate parts which a glued on during assemble. I also found the lettering to be very crisp and legible! I have used Kadee Wheel-Sets to finish off my car.

Yesterday, October 22nd, 2018, I ordered two more 36' Fowler Box cars from ModelTrainStuff. Their price of $13.49 each was $4.49 below the Suggested manufacturer's retail price of $17.98. Midwest Model Railroad had a better price ($12.76) but where sold out of Accurail's Fowler Box Cars. I thought with all the bad press ModelTrainStuff has gotten in recently here on this forum, I would put them to the test. I will be keeping track of everything about this order, to report my findings, right back here, to yo'all! Hatton's doesn't carry Accurail Products.

Today, Oct. 23rd, I was notified that my ModelTrainStuff order had shipped.

Last edited by a moderator:
This order from ModelTrainStuff was received on Friday, October 26th. This is five days after order placement and the order shipped within 24 hours of being placed. I realize that many people will still be dissatisfied with ModelTrainStuff and it's possible (but, difficult to comprehend) that I am a more patient person than some of you. In the end, I will say that we should all buy from the dealer that we are most happy with. In my case, I still feel M.B. Klein/ModelTrainStuff is a good supplier who has great prices and delivers their wares in a timely manner!

I agree with Mark with his comments on ModelTrainStuff. I've had fast service and timely deliveries. Mark, why not do another test of Train Stuff's customer service and have the kits delivered to my address???

Thanking you in advance.

Greg

Last edited:
Mark -- Do those come with trucks and couplers?

Sherrel, yes, they come with Andrews style trucks and plastic wheel-sets. They also come with Accumate couplers, which I've replaced with Kadee # 5s. I have also replaced the plastic wheel-sets with metal ones.

Sherrel, yes, they come with Andrews style trucks and plastic wheel-sets. They also come with Accumate couplers, which I've replaced with Kadee # 5s. I have also replaced the plastic wheel-sets with metal ones.
Thanks, Mark -- What brand of wheelsets do you use?

I'm not choked up over Model Train Stuff's web site, but I do order from them as their prices are good, their shipping is consistently quick, and their inventory good.

Thanks, Mark -- What brand of wheelsets do you use?

I loved the old P2K Wheel-Sets, however they are no longer available. I have used Reboxx and Kadee, too. Didn't care for Reboxx and Kadees are O.K.; but, don't like that the tread isn't shinny. If I need any in the future I will try Intermountain's.

Reboxx has varying length axles. If you know the length you need, your O.K. Also, I think they are all Code 88 wide and I have had some trouble with the Code 88 sized wheel-sets.

I agree with Mark with his comments on ModelTrainStuff. I've had fast service and timely deliveries. Mark, why not do another test of Train Stuff's customer service and have the kits delivered to my address???

Thanking you in advance.

Greg

Your Fowler Box Cars are on their way!

Thanks, Mark.

I've been using Intermountain wheel sets without any problems.

The shiny tread on some of the wheel sets has been wearing off the cars that I installed them on.

Greg

Thanks, Mark.

I've been using Intermountain wheel sets without any problems.

The shiny tread on some of the wheel sets has been wearing off the cars that I installed them on.

Greg

Greg, What Wheel-Set manufacturer's wheels have shown this problem?

Back