AC6000 locomotives in HO scale

beiland

Did either Santa Fe or BNSF ever utilize AC6000 locomotives, or did any manufactures model them in HO scale??

I have two brand new Union Pacific ones built by Broadway Limited that I would like to exchange shells with as I don't do Union Pacific. Is this a feasible idea??

BTW they are Paragon 2 sound and DCC equipped

Short answer is NO. Santa Fe merged with BN before the AC6000;s were manufactured. I don't believe that BNSF ever acquired any.

Willie

This is the list of railroad companies that have the AC6000CW.

The only way BNSF could have one if they were leasing any of the units from PRLX or GECX.

BHP Nevada Railroad Company BHP

CSX Railroad CSX

General Electric Company GECX

Progress Rail PRLX

Union Pacific Railroad Company UP

Western New York and Pennsylvania WNYP

PRLX & WNYP most likely got theirs second hand from CSX. Only UP, CSX, & BHP bought them new from the factory. Right now, there are some UP units on the siding outside the Wabtec Ft Worth facility about 45 miles from here, awaiting rebuilding, that I saw over the recent holiday week. Wabtec rebuilds 7-8 a week there.

blindog10 wrote:
While many of Broadway's diesel sound files are garbage, they nailed the AC6000 sound.
Scott Chatfield

I decided to get all of my AC6000 BLI engines out yesterday and see how they sounded. Turns out I only have 3, two Union Pacific and one BHP,...which up to now I believed were all brand new. I was only running them on DC as i have yet to finish hooking my DCC up.

I got a surprise when I tried running the 2 Union Pacifics. They both sounded just fine, and included the horn & bell sounds,..BUT neither one of them would run in either direction?

I then got the BHP one out and it DID both run and had great sound.

I'm now wondering if my 2 Union Pacifics were in fact BRAND NEW?? They both appeared to be so, but there was a few of the detailed original packaging parts missing compared to the BHP one.

All three are dual mode decoders, so I would have expected them to all operate similarly? Is it possible that these two UP engines have been operated for a very short time by an experienced owner that chose to select DCC operation only? I believe I have read that this is an option on many dual mode decoders,..to dial out the DC mode? If that had been done, would the sounds still be available, along with just no motion? Or what else could be wrong?

I decided to get all of my AC6000 BLI engines out yesterday and see how they sounded. Turns out I only have 3, two Union Pacific and one BHP,...which up to now I believed were all brand new. I was only running them on DC as i have yet to finish hooking my DCC up.

I got a surprise when I tried running the 2 Union Pacifics. They both sounded just fine, and included the horn & bell sounds,..BUT neither one of them would run in either direction?

I then got the BHP one out and it DID both run and had great sound.

I'm now wondering if my 2 Union Pacifics were in fact BRAND NEW?? They both appeared to be so, but there was a few of the detailed original packaging parts missing compared to the BHP one.

All three are dual mode decoders, so I would have expected them to all operate similarly? Is it possible that these two UP engines have been operated for a very short time by an experienced owner that chose to select DCC operation only? I believe I have read that this is an option on many dual mode decoders,..to dial out the DC mode? If that had been done, would the sounds still be available, along with just no motion? Or what else could be wrong?

I wish I had a direct answer for you but I run everything under DCC. The dual mode on BLI is a mystery to me. It is not straight forward like Atlas is or Intermountain. It kinda reminds of MTH. Sorry, I am of no help here.

railandsail a few seconds ago

railandsail wrote:
All three are dual mode decoders, so I would have expected them to all operate similarly? Is it possible that these two UP engines have been operated for a very short time by an experienced owner that chose to select DCC operation only? I believe I have read that this is an option on many dual mode decoders,..to dial out the DC mode? If that had been done, would the sounds still be available, along with just no motion?

Well I guess my memory is not totally shot,.. I think that is exactly what happened. I set up a little test track out on my work bench, with the NCE system hooked up, and when I chose the cab numbers of those 2 UP engines, they ran correctly on DCC. So someone must have purposefully deleted the DC option of those dual-mode decoders.

PS: And btw the sound is really good.

Last edited:
railandsail a few seconds ago

railandsail wrote:
All three are dual mode decoders, so I would have expected them to all operate similarly? Is it possible that these two UP engines have been operated for a very short time by an experienced owner that chose to select DCC operation only? I believe I have read that this is an option on many dual mode decoders,..to dial out the DC mode? If that had been done, would the sounds still be available, along with just no motion?

Well I guess my memory is not totally shot,.. I think that is exactly what happened. I set up a little test track out on my work bench, with the NCE system hooked up, and when I chose the cab numbers of those 2 UP engines, they ran correctly on DCC. So someone must have purposefully deleted the DC option of those dual-mode decoders.

PS: And btw the sound is really good.
Glad you got it sorted out.

A few years ago, I purchased a couple of BLI locomotves from a dealer on the eastern seaboard. I received the engines on a Saturday, but it wasn't until Sunday I had a chance to try them. As soon as I powered them up, they started generating smoke out of the exhaust. I sent a message through eBay, as to why my "new" engines had smoke coming out of them. In less then five minutes, the guy called me, to say there had been some problems with the BLI smoke units, so he was taking everyone of them out of the box and testing before selling. It sounded like a reasonable explanation.

Back