A new re-beginning

photostream
Alright so about a week ago I anounced I was going to do a 4x16 ho version of the MR salt lake route. After a good nights sleep thinking about it, a decided that it was to much of just a long pointless oval. So, after asking my dad if it would be ok (I'm only 13 haha) to add on to the 4x16 with an around the wall layout. It will be a reversing loop on the around the wall and will give the layout more purpose and much much longer mainline running. Still planning on doing alot of coal cars with CSX, NS, and Canadian pacific. :)

Here is my 4x16 that i have currently. I dont know if you can see the lines that i have drawn but the green is the outline for the mountains and the red is where the track will go:)
photostream
If the pictures dont work here is the URL http://www.flickr.com/photos/ho02/6838455163/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ho02/6838458281/in/photostream

Yup the pictures didn't show here.
Looks like you have a good start there! I like the bypass around the yard.
If you're into coal big time I'd put the mine on one side and the customer on the other. Then you can do the MT's in loads out thing.
But I'm sure you've thought of that already!

Well, that's looking pretty good! I like the yard by pass too.:)

Rico mentions a customer for the coal mine. I wonder what industry you might include to deliver coal too?

One idea might be a power station. Another is a coke plant. Or maybe an export terminal?

Coke plants are interesting. They take coal in and produce coke (of course:p) but also produce tar and chemicals as by products. So you could have reasons for tank car operation too. Also there is often dedicated switchers for the coke plant.

The coke might be sent to a steel mill represented off layout with by staging tracks and the tar could go to an asphalt plant, which is small enough to fit on your layout.

Walthers has two coke retorts/oven kits. One for their gas plant series and one for their steel industry series.

Researching industries has become a favourite pastime for me as a side effect of model railroading. I know much more about industries than I once did. Anyway, just ideas for you to think about,

Paul

Well, that's looking pretty good! I like the yard by pass too.:)

Rico mentions a customer for the coal mine. I wonder what industry you might include to deliver coal too?

One idea might be a power station. Another is a coke plant. Or maybe an export terminal?

Coke plants are interesting. They take coal in and produce coke (of course:p) but also produce tar and chemicals as by products. So you could have reasons for tank car operation too. Also there is often dedicated switchers for the coke plant.

The coke might be sent to a steel mill represented off layout with by staging tracks and the tar could go to an asphalt plant, which is small enough to fit on your layout.

Walthers has two coke retorts/oven kits. One for their gas plant series and one for their steel industry series.

Researching industries has become a favourite pastime for me as a side effect of model railroading. I know much more about industries than I once did. Anyway, just ideas for you to think about,

Paul

could go one step farther and take it to a dock/shipping terminal that goes world wide too ;)

Back