A model railroad heartbreak?

Iron Horseman

It is very sad when someone's model railroad empire is lost when they pass from this world. Most recently the museum received a donation from one such situation. None of the children wanted to deal with their father's trains so they just ripped them up and dumped them at the museum. Personally, for a contribution of a hundred bucks I walked off with a box of mostly flat cars (70 or so). These are the cars that I used to make into my Christmas train for the office this year.

All of them needed work. I took apart each car, cleaned it, fixed broken parts like the stirrup, painted them, reamed the trucks, replaced the wheel sets, repaired the coupler pockets, and coupler springs etc. As I worked through each car I got more and more sad. Some trends became apparent. Many of the original Athearn BB coupler pockets had been replace with Kadee boxes screwed to the cars metal weight. As most HO scale users know the weight does not fit snug it has a bit of slop from side to side. That and having the Kadee coupler boxes not exactly centered made the hooks have a funny angle to them, and the trucks would sometimes bump. Then there were no washers on the bolsters to bring the couplers up to the right height. True that means they all align, but it also means the little uncoupling wire hanging down is too low. I could see how the prior owner had bent them up, but then they had a funny cup to them. Finally, the Kadee #5 brass springs were on the underside of the coupler rather than the top. For non-HO scale people, the coupler spring provides a two way spring action, the motion to the right being stronger than the motion to the left. So having them in upside down provides the stronger action in the wrong direction.

Why did this make me sad? Another thing about the cars was that their numbers had obviously been modified for an operations oriented layout. That and the shear number of flat cars tells me this was a very large layout. I envisioned a grand operations with maybe 10-20 people and 7-8 simultanious trains running using these cars in their trains. I envisioned stopping the train over an uncoupling ramp and having nothing happen. And even when the cars uncoupled I can imagine the delayed action didn't work right. I envisioned stopping a train and suddenly it comes in two. With the issues of the cars I also imagine in operations mode there were constant uncoupling and coupling issues and constant derailments. It is miserable to operate on a poorly performing layout. I wonder how many operators would leave after the session shaking their heads. I felt for this poor owner's dream of a wonderful layout, but once built probably never operated well.

I have no idea if any of this is true, and how much my brain made up. But I have experienced the results of such problems with couplers many times. So my experience says it could have been, an that makes me very sad. I wonder how many model railroader's dreams end with toy train like performance problems.

Last edited:
What you are suggesting may be very true and is the reason the surviving family didn't want to have anything to do with the trains.

I understand your sadness.

It reminds me of my first train set, Tyco Spirit of 76. I never did get it to circle the Christmas tree.

Probably like the person who's trains you were saddened by, I never knew why my train would uncouple and or derail. That was the sad part for me.

This makes me wonder a bit if this is a temporary thing due to so many people not being able to afford the kind of houses that the previous generation was able to afford and the fact that many of these layouts are either built into the building or are so large that people don't have room for them.

IMHO, this is a good reminder to consider what happens in the future if you need to move, especially downsize, at some point. Yet another benefit of going with a modular design.

People get old, move to retirement homes or pass away and their model railroads get sold off piece by piece or discarded by family members.

Many of my pieces of rolling stock have come from estates and I like the idea that these cars are still operating and being enjoyed instead of ending up in a landfill. I do have to make some changes to the cars like minor adjustments to these cars that include the couplers, maybe add metal wheel sets or minor repairs.

I have some cars from some very famous modelers and surprising so some adjustments of some kind are needed even for these cars!

Greg

MNS Box Car.JPG

A weathered estate BB MNS box car.

Last edited:
I will agree that that is quite sad. Many times the families don't reaize what they have. In some instances they can be sitting on some quite valuable items. Years back a good friend of mine, the late Pete Ellis, who was an NMRA master modeler passed away, but he did will his layout to the Great Falls Model Railroad club, which is now the Montana Museum of Railroad History. The club members did move the layout to the museum where it will be on display and eventually be connected to the club layout.

I often wonder what will happen to my stuff when my ticket is punched. I really don't have many valuable items.

I just received notice of this from a group I associated with when I lived up near DC. Such a shame to hear of such a situation that appears to happen with some regularity with model RR clubs.

After 30+ years, it looks like the Winchester Model Railroad Club is about to lose its lease. If that happens, we will have 30 days to dismantle the layout and strip the building to the walls. We are actively pursuing space for a new layout and other options. We don't expect to disband the club.​

Looks like they have a VERY well organized website

http://www.wmrrc.org/web/

Winchester Model Railroad Club

Celebrating over 35 Years of Model Railroading in the Northern Shenandoah Valley!!

n 1982 a small group of model railroad hobby enthusiasts joined together to form the Winchester Model Railroad Club. Their goal was to mutually pursue what would become referred to as the "Greatest Hobby in the World".

This website contains a brief history of what that 35 year pursuit has accomplished, from its original formation to the building of its current layout today, and to invite any of you … from the die-hard model railroad hobbyist who has been unaware of the Club's existence to the eager amateur that might just be thinking of constructing your first layout … to come and join us!!

After 30+ years, it looks like the Winchester Model Railroad Club is about to lose its lease.
Repeat that story at least 7 times here in Denver over the past 20 years. The real lesson here is, "Don't build a model railroad in a leased space." Even the modular clubs seem to have issues with that.

It's in an old station. There should be some sort of program where well-organized clubs can purchase the building from the railroad under some sort of historical preservation auspice. Maybe I'm just dreaming...

The club I belong to, owns it's land and buildings, but others around Brisbane don't. One last year had to shift out of it's building for similar reasons and I don't think they have obtained another one yet. The other club I did go to for a couple of years is on local authority (public) land and although they have built the buildings etc, that authority a couple of years ago, wanted to use the building for other community activities as well. Lawyers had to be consulted and discussions had to be held. Everything was in Limbo for a long time. I left while it was still going on. It's still operating, so must have got sorted. From what I could glean, it was all caused by one Councillor wanting to look as if they were doing something.

Lots of things hit home for me here but one really sad thing for modelling in general (not just rail) is that the joy of going to your local hobby shop is now happening less and less . A case in point was Birchalls in the nearest city to where I live . Launceston , Tasmania . As a kid and even after that every time i went to Launny as us locals refer to it as , it was a must to go to Birchalls .. Tons and tons of aircraft , ship , car and railway goodies to drool over , great books , special magazines ,games , toys , giftware , meccano , lego etc etc ... A little while ago word came through that the family owned business for over 100 years couldn't find a buyer . Couldn't compete with online anymore and the owner had enough . So the doors closed .
It's weird to walk past Birchalls store front and not get excited . Lots of us Tasmanian hobby people owe a lot to that store . To make matters worse Tiger Models and Hobbies has also gone under too . Same reasons basically . In a city of about 100,000 people it's hard to believe there isn't a direct place now to buy your modelling stuff . Some department stores carry limited items but that's about it . Just how it is I'm afraid . Someone filmed this to show a skeletal remains of a once great store ..Quite sad to watch actually ....
...Cheers Rod.

Last edited:
When I was a child it was all the trains that showed up in Woolworths at Christmas time. From 1965 through the 1980 they had a huge selection. I could have gone in and looked for hours if my mother would have let me. Dreaming about all the fantastic things that could be built with the trains contained there in. I understand in the bigger cities (like St. Louis) they had trains year around. By 1981 the Christmas time train department was no more.

Back