A mini-diorama - of sorts

if you do not want the tree i will be glad to display it on my layout;)

I'll bring it over and I want to see your layout anyway. You going to be home this weekend?. I'm in the middle of making another tree .. the lower branches have been made .. working up .. early stage without any dimension to the branches yet. I'm wanting to be able to see the branches .. have the 'leaves' thin enough for that. When I put on a couple of layers of Modge Podge those limbs will come alive .. least that's the plan!

Image4.jpg

eTraxx, the tree looks great. Maybe try crushing the tea leaves up a bit smaller, the texture's right but the bark bits are a bit big imo.

Can you get a pic of the tree with just the poly fiber on it? I always mess up that part and leave it looking like those halloween spider web decorations. :eek:

eTraxx, the tree looks great. Maybe try crushing the tea leaves up a bit smaller, the texture's right but the bark bits are a bit big imo.

Can you get a pic of the tree with just the poly fiber on it? I always mess up that part and leave it looking like those halloween spider web decorations. :eek:

The tea leaf experiment was just that .. and experiment. I didn't have any sawdust - which is what grove den uses. For my next tree I will pull out the saw and make some sawdust stock! The tea leaves .. they are still something to try but not for a 'normal' tree - but those gnarled, ropy, heavily fissured and bumpy tree trunks you see in some old trees. So you are correct in that the texture is excessive .. that was partly on purpose.

I bought the tea leaves for another purpose (not tea). I think it will make a great ground covering .. the leaf clutter/debris you see under trees.

The Polly Fiber. The first tree I did actually doesn't have Polly Fiber. When reading over grove den's description of his tree making I see that he uses a filter material sold in the Netherlands for garden pond filters. He said that it can be purchased in three different 'textures'. I think that is what he is using later on when he talks about cutting the fiber into 1/4"/1cm lengths when he attached to the outside of the armature with an aerosol glue. I went to about three different places looking for this filter and had no luck. All I found was a kind of coarse cell foam filter for the pumps. I would really like to try his filter material .. I need to go by a place that sells supplies for ponds (and not Lowes/Walmart) to see if I can get some. I attempted to make some from a 'regular' fiberglass filter but the strands were so fine that they tended to 'clump' ... and being fiberglass .. itched from handling.

While typing that paragraph I had a thought though. What we are looking for is something that will glue to the 'limbs' of the tree armature to represent the smaller twigs etc. This replaces the poly fiber of course, as a place for the 'leaves' to glue to. Anyhoo .. was just thinking .. I have this Sisal rope. That might work .. cutting the Sisal into 1/4" strands and then using those for the 'twigs' .. so .. need to experiment with that.

Leaves .. hmmmmm. What if .. I dyed the tea .. green? It could very well be excellent leaves for the tree. Another experiment!

I actually DID make my own polyfiber for the trees. While polyester doesn't dye worth a darn (with 'normal' RIT Dye) .. I did find that if you use alcohol instead of water it will work 'so so'. I have a box of greyish poly fiber that should work for trees. I do have some Dye for polyester .. both the batting and Faux Fur .. there is a series of EXCELLENT articles on the Pacific Coast Air Line Railway website on dying Polyester using Dye-na-flow dye .. and yes .. I have some I ordered.

Working on my 'new' tree. Have the armature finished and applied a mix of Modge Podge and some gray acrylic (so I could see what I'm doing). This helps bind the twisted wires together. Once it dries you can shape the limbs easier as it (Modge Podge) acts as a rubbery coating. Every-time I do one of these I figure out how to do it better (find that slightly amusing since this is my second). Example the center of the tree is kinda thick. That's where the twisted wire wasn't tightly twisted enough. I have since learned that a pair of needle-nosed pliers works wonders. I think I will go back with a Dremel once the Mode Podge sets up and see if I can grind that down a bit (although trees really do that kinda thing).

The twisted wires still show but that's ok .. like I said .. this step is to 'bind' the wires. Next is texture. The modeller that I am swiping the techniques for this - grove den - uses saw dust for that glued on with white glue. He sieves the sawdust and puts coarse on the lower trunk and fine on the top. I'm thinking of trying a technique hminky uses to texture logs on this Pacific Coast Air Line Railway using sanded tile grout .. also his 'Making Bark Texture' article ..

th_tree2_image2.jpg

Regarding sawdust...an electric sander (in my case...a small palm sander..) with a dust collection bag, is a great way to collect the sawdust.

I finished the dio last night. I must say that it has been a great learning experience. After 20 years of almost no modeling it's hard to get back to it. This helps. I was going to take some photographs outside but it is still overcast .. so I said 'what the heck' and snapped of the following photos.

Here is the finished dio.
th_11may1.jpg

That little sign on the sawhorse says "Road Closed. The sawhorse was difficult to make! My gosh that is 'fiddley' work (or whatever the word is for that kinda of stuff). It is actually built like a real sawhorse .. the horizontal piece the legs attach to is an I-Beam built up from three 2"x4" !!
th_11may10.jpg

A little closer. Sometimes I get good photos and other times I don't. One of these days I suppose I will start to figure out the camera settings. :)
th_11may2.jpg

Put my hand into that last scene for scale. The dio is only 5"x7"
th_11may3.jpg

Swung the camera around a bit. First "Learning Point". The next time I do roots (I like roots) .. make 'em smaller. Also .. where the soil has broken away from the cliff it shouldn't be so 'tapered' .. at least some of the surface should be seen .. like a slice through a cake with smaller rootlets dangling.
th_11may4.jpg

A little closer look at them 'fat boys'. Color isn't right .. need to take a walk in the roots and look closer at roots exposed by erosion
th_11may5.jpg

The little Cardstock Outhouse came out pretty well. I think if I was to do it again I would print it out twice and cut the individual boards out. Still .. it's ok .. well .. even better if it is not sitting right next to the edge of the layout. If place back a ways you couldn't tell it was printed.
th_11may6.jpg

Another view. Man .. can you imagine if you were REALLY making use of the facility .. and the wind kicked up? Betcha that joker would rock .. :)
th_11may7.jpg

I swung the camera around to the 'back side' here ..
th_11may8.jpg

The good thing about a camera is that it shows you what can be done better. One think is I tend to use too dark shades and colors. I need to lighten it up.

The cliff casting came out pretty well ... but the 'chunks' that have fallen off onto the old road are a lot more angular then the layered 'rock' on the cliff. That is partly because I used crumpled aluminum foil to make the plug for the latex mold. I'm trying something different .. I'm pouring thin layers of plaster and breaking them into strips which I am gluing up into a layered rock wall. It looks a lot better .. after all .. it IS layered rock (plaster) instead of scribing. Whether it works when I get to trying to make a mold .. donno. Guess I will find out.

The ground cover on top of the cliff is too dark as I said. That is partly because I gathered the soil out behind my house .. it's loamy and the tea which is dark. Need to run around and find lighter colored soils.

This was fun .. and is priceless as a 'teaching tool'. I highly suggest anyone interested in improving their modeling skills make a diorama .. just a scrap of wood the size of you hand where you can practice making roads (thinking of doing that .. from dirt road to highway).

Very nice Ed! Now to build a layout around it!
Are you going to put a wheelbarrow under that outhouse?

Would sux for a HO swimmer to be under that out house when it's being used! How about a tire swing hanging from the tree or from under the out house!LOL's

Would sux for a HO swimmer to be under that out house when it's being used! How about a tire swing hanging from the tree or from under the out house!LOL's

Fixed it ..

NoSwimming.jpg

Boy. Do I need to get some good lights for photography indoors

Back