A good Switching Engine please?

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Afternoon guys,

I was wondering what sort of engine I should think about for a "Switcher" (Shunter) and which is the best make to buy.

Thats a toughie....I've had pretty good luck with Bachmann soundvalue RS3s, Atlas RS3s, Walthers SW9/12s and Athearn MP15s

Tony , I have an Atlas S-2 w/sound and I really like it . It has excellent low speed control which you want in a switcher . It is an HO model though , don't know if its available in N . All the Atlas loco's I have had work very well .

I am assuming that you are thinking of N scale. MB Klein has a numner of N scale switchers.

If you got for instance, a GP-7 or GP-9, they can be used for both switching and main line service, saving you having to buy and extra locomotive. An Alco RS-3 by Atlas would be a good choice also. Usually Atlas locomotives are excellent running locomotives.

Here's a link to MB Klein being that you are heading that way. An SW1500 is an excellent choice for a dedicated switcher.

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/N-Sc...tm?searching=Y&sort=3&cat=1437&show=30&page=7

The local Railroad up here has a SW1500 that sometimes get used for switching, but I have also seen it being used as a mainline runner. Mostly for switching they use an SD9.

Last edited by a moderator:
Darn there are more choices than I thought there would be. I like the Micro Train SW1500, especially as it is in Canadian National paint scheme. Anyone know anything about Micro Trains though? Like the RS3 and GP 7/9 too - jeeze, I like all of them :D

when I played with N scale , micro trains was the one to have as far as box/freight cars was concerned . I don't have any experience with motive power though .

Thanks jim,

I think my under the tree christmas N Scale train is Micro Train stuff and that seems pretty good. Looks like I am going to be the owner of a little Micro Trains SW1500 engine in the near future.

Horseman,

I like Kadee, I think they are the rolls royce of couplers, so if they and Micro Train were one I have to assume that the same standards and quality exist. If I can't get a Kato engine, then Micro Trains seems to be the next best thing.

For a steam locomotive, I'd say a Model Power 0-4-0 or a Bachmann 0-6-0 should suit you nicely.
For a diesel locomotive, I like the Athearn SW9s, I have two of them and they haven't failed me yet.

Back