A beginner's layout

Not an update about progress but an update about going backward :(.

I wanted to start that hotel kit this weekend but the laptop I use for JMRI Operations pooped out.

I've downloaded JMRI to a new laptop and started entering all of the information again....This time I'll see if I can back it up to an external drive :rolleyes:

Oh well, it happens :)

I wanted to start that hotel kit this weekend but the laptop I use for JMRI Operations pooped out.

I've downloaded JMRI to a new laptop and started entering all of the information again....This time I'll see if I can back it up to an external drive :rolleyes:

That fella Murphy and his partner, Law, seem to get around a lot. 😁

Paul: If the hard drive died, yup you are stuck. If not you should be able to put it in another machine and get the stuff off of it that you want/need. Might be worth the time and effort.

Later

I finally got my JMRI for ops set up again and had a chance to start that hotel kit. So many window frames! When I'm done I have to do it all again with the "glass" :eek:

Screenshot (210).png

Not motivated to continue on the hotel today but I did try to address the horrible lighting in my train room. I cut a hole in the foam and installed a floor lamp through the corner of the layout o_O.

I relocated the background building and will search through my spare parts to try to modify it to add to the side wall so it reaches the backdrop (which will exist one day) or contact Walthers for a part to that kit to achieve this.

I also want to add a bigger roof and even build some kind of rooftop air handler around the lamp to make it less intrusive.

Screenshot (214).png

Day off today! Got some work done on the hotel kit. Wall 1 is basically done. Three more to go :rolleyes:.

I think this kit is coming out decent so far but it's a lot more work than I thought. I don't work on it even close to every day but I thought I'd be further along by now :D

Screenshot (262).png

At this point maybe I'll just make it a flat 🤣🤣

Looks like it’s coming out great though! I think it’s better to work for a few and turn to something else for a bit just to keep the frustration or boredom of the task setting in…. But you got to remember to keep at it or you got 100 unfinished projects lol

Looks like you have a good start. I have one of my own to build one of these years.
Well I'm happy I could show you some things not to do :D

The printed interior included with the kit added (and will add) a bunch of time. It's not one piece of paper per wall. I had to cut out every section out and apply separately. The instructions say to tape them but I used hot glue.

When you get around to building yours please post!

Well I'm happy I could show you some things not to do :D

The printed interior included with the kit added (and will add) a bunch of time. It's not one piece of paper per wall. I had to cut out every section out and apply separately. The instructions say to tape them but I used hot glue.

When you get around to building yours please post!
Are you going to add lighting?

I bet this building would look faboulous with some random rooms lit

Back