2'x8' Shelf Module

Here is what I came up with putting the run around in front of the ladder as Andy recommended. What do you guys think? I would have liked to have the loco track coming off the run around but, its just way to close to the edge. I'll either just put the fueling facility or the shed only and pretend the other is in front of it off the layout for now until it can be expanded. I may still put a short track off the run around for a RIP track like suggested. I definitely am considering a cassette that could be used on either side. I had no idea however about making them with the drywall corners or without track. Thank you for those tips!

HO 2x8 Module5.1.jpg
-Laurence

Laurence
That arrangement isn't going to work very well for a runaround as it's still a switchback. Get rid of the spur sticking out & put a LH switch in its place. As it is now only a loco & one car can use it & only if nothing is parked there. Most times using a runaround there could be a loco plus 2-4 cars needing to be switched. A loco track can easily be added using a LH switch on the right end of the runaround.

Andy, hopefully I'm getting closer to right! Don't wanna frustrate the help, lol! Or am I missing your point? The one on the right would let me fit the loco facilities, but is the run around itself too short there?

HO 2x8 Module5.1.jpgHO 2x8 Module5.2.jpg
-Laurence

I think the earlier version with the right hand switches off the main was more functional.
Switchbacks are fun but get tiring after a while.
Best thing is to get a computer program that lets you run a train over your track plan, or just start fiddling around with some track and see what works for you.

Andy, hopefully I'm getting closer to right! Don't wanna frustrate the help, lol! Or am I missing your point? The one on the right would let me fit the loco facilities, but is the run around itself too short there?

View attachment 51145View attachment 51146
-Laurence

Laurence
Yes you've got the runaround right. What's really too short are the tracks on either side of the runaround. They should be as long as the cars (3-4) in the runaround plus a loco. Is there room to add extensions to both of those tracks off the layout? Using #5 switches might give the runaround some length.
Moved the interchange track to a place that can hold more cars. Plus it can be used for cassettes/staging trays on the layout.

Attachments

• Laurence's Plan 2.bmp.jpg
    Laurence's Plan 2.bmp.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 215
Laurence
Went back to your original plan & "fixed" it by changing the runaround Xover from LH to RH. Should have seen that in the 1st place. duh! Added another yard track & the loco track. There's room below it to add a Rip track. Also "straightened" the team track to add the interchange track next to it.

Attachments

• Laurence's Plan - 3.bmp.jpg
    Laurence's Plan - 3.bmp.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 214
Okay, I went and measured my available space to the right and can use a 24" cassette there. Here is what I'm looking at now:

HO 2x8 Module5.3.jpg

Andy, I left the original interchange and main mainly because my plan is to expand the layout into an L or even possibly a U shape. The reason you moved the interchange was to make it longer, so I should be ok with it in the original spot with the cassette, correct? You'll probably wanna hit me upside the head because I keep putting that spur in off the yard ladder. I keep seeing that space for something in my head. If it really doesn't belong there I can scrap it and turn it up for another yard track and I'll move the team track back to where I added the transfer terminal. Thanks again guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the RIP track, it lets you spot any kind of car you want.
I always have one one my layouts!

Laurence
Made a few changes to your plan. Moved siding/runaround to the right for more length. Should hold at least 6 cars now. Make sure there's room on either side for 6 cars plus a loco. Guess you'll be extending your layout to the right & down . The main could also be used for staging cars. ("?")

Attachments

• Laurence Plan 6.jpg
    Laurence Plan 6.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 210
Oh yes, I like the change to the run around, much much better! Yes the layout will have a 2x6?8?(whatever space I have) butted up against the right and going down so I should have room to extend the industries in the upper right as well. That or more scenery. I will get those changes in and start laying out some track and see how it looks. Thank you once again!

-Laurence

Laurence
Once you get the space on the right side think about what to add for places to spot a variety of freight cars. The brewery needs places for tank cars (syrups), covered hoppers (grains) & boxcars/reefers (outbound beer). So you may need another track or two.
For the team track you might want to add a gantry crane for unloading heavy things like steel beams, coils, plates, etc from coil cars, flats & gondolas. It could have a dock/ramp for handling construction equipment, farm equipment & autos from flat cars. Boxcars can also be spotted there for loading/unloading whatever. It could also have a place for loading or unloading grain from hoppers. It's usually done using one of those portable conveyors.
Added some pix of a couple team tracks that re next door to each other. You don't have enough room to do all this. On my layout it will be 2' x 8'. But it should give you some ideas about what you might have on your team track. The gantry crane on your layout needs only to be one track wide. Trucks can be driven under it so they can be loaded by the crane. The surface for these team tracks is asphalt.

Attachments

• ATSF Vernon & LAJ Fruitland Teams EE.bmp.jpg
    ATSF Vernon & LAJ Fruitland Teams EE.bmp.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 221
  • ATSF Vernon & LAJ Fruitland Teams USGS.jpg
    ATSF Vernon & LAJ Fruitland Teams USGS.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 179
  • ATSF Gantry Crane Vernon Team 1961 Don Sims.bmp-001.bmp-001.jpg
    ATSF Gantry Crane Vernon Team 1961 Don Sims.bmp-001.bmp-001.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 210
Even though I haven't posted in a bit, I have been slightly busy with the layout. Here is the final version I ended up with.

HO 2x8 Module5.3.jpg

I pinned all the track down to make sure it would fit properly. Took it up and laid down Woodland scenics foam roadbed down on the mainline, runaround, and interchange tracks. Mainly to help with track noise. I found some 1/8" 2'x4' rolls of cork at Jo-Ann Fabrics to put down under the yard and spurs so that it wasn't such a transition from the road bed to the foam. They also had 1/4" cork that probably would have worked well for the main line, but I had already bought the foam roadbed. I have it all repinned down to mark where I want feeders to go and holes for possible switch machines in some spots. Then I can caulk the track down and wire it up and maybe finally do some scenery. I didn't take many pics of the progress; however, I did make a short test run video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3LwTHwaTKU

-Laurence

Very cool! Looking forward to seeing the progress.
BTW I didn't think it was that funny... you have it listed under the comedy section!

I noticed that also after I uploaded it, lol! I didn't see a place to change the category when you go to edit, doh! At least from my phone I couldn't, maybe if I login on my desktop!

I painted the foam a tan color (latex paint) I had laying around for a base in case areas I may miss with the base scenery. Should I do the same over the cork? Just wondering if the paint would adhere to the cork well. Don't want the scenery flaking off because paint did stick to the cork! Thanks!

-Laurence

Back