2022 is arriving soon What are your future modeling plans

TLOC

Or will you just Wing into 2022? On a so far quiet Christmas morning instead of reflecting on 2021 I am thinking forward into the new year.

I will start out below with my thoughts. Please pitch in as we discuss the coming modeling adventures even if you feel it meaningless. Thanks

TomO

2022 is coming. With the almost 2 years of Pandemic behind us and hopefully good health in front of us here is to the future.

for me

1. continue layout room clean up and organization
2. since Xmas has been excellent in that my lists from Santa seemed to have been delivered I will build the small city scape with track in the street I had planned for years
3. with 4 Merchant Row kits now in stock I need to find a couple individual buildings to finish off the scene but I can start the framework and contour the ground
4. the flooring 2x2 rubber tiles are due for delivery in mid-January, those will get laid immediately.
5. build the Merchant Row kits
6. be happy

Ambitious no not really for me. I have the materials including insulating 2” foam for the ground cover base. The track is ME code 70 on Central Valley tie strips that I have enough in stock to build this 18” x 6’ or 10’ long scene. #1, 4 and 6 are definite for 2022

89D6B527-3071-41F7-91F1-726F8193F6AB.jpeg

Health is a concern the 1st quarter as there are now 2 hopefully not major at this time surgeries planned for January and another one for February. Fun to be had in between!

TomO

Beginning the new year with a micro layout project to further expand my modeling skills. Having just finished a small N scale 1’ x 4’ switching layout, I learned quite a bit and will thus take my skills learned so far to build another. Hopefully I won’t make as many mistakes 😂.

Here’s to a new year filled with many more modeling adventures.

Crandell

Thanks for sharing. I do get a kick when I turn the lights on above the shelf layout. My creation coming alive. Trees a never ending battle to get to
B7FA4965-699F-44E0-B54B-457CD7A68786.jpeg
E3CF3EBD-549F-451E-98C8-01D904074AB1.jpeg
3BA6E9AD-7CC8-4FA9-BC57-30A41E4B9D39.jpeg
5172EAA5-AB55-4747-B7C9-72081C0FD4CB.jpeg
28DE75D4-FF33-40F5-8FDB-FFAFF17B01B4.jpeg
how many more do I need added to the layout.

92058FA8-648E-4C34-AA40-1179E4C8E2FF.jpeg
2841120E-E4DF-48A0-8F26-98418D7DFD47.jpeg
B72F93AB-B6A8-4DB6-A8CF-59BEA6D70156.jpeg
D22FFEC4-58A9-43BA-91DA-6A3CA8DC1459.jpeg

Trees for me are a mixed blessing. They are necessities on a layout. Until recently 90% plus of my trees were hand made.

TomO

Beginning the new year with a micro layout project to further expand my modeling skills. Having just finished a small N scale 1’ x 4’ switching layout, I learned quite a bit and will thus take my skills learned so far to build another. Hopefully I won’t make as many mistakes 😂.

Here’s to a new year filled with many more modeling adventures.
Thanks for sharing.

Don’t sweat the mistakes as you will learn even more from them.

TomO

Great topic Tom.
My list is endless, but here are a few of the major objectives:

1) Finish the landscaping on at least another 25% of the layout. Those who follow my adventures in the Coffee Shop know how much more there is to do.
2) To go with that, build at least 250 more trees.
3) Make a start on the last third of the upper level beginning with the Ethanol refinery. Main line and passing sidings are already completed but not ballasted.
4) Find a handful more laser-cut wood structures to fill in the gaps everywhere. Even though there are over 300 structures in place, I need a select few more.
5) Finish the layout fascia which is about 65% complete. Then paint it!
6) Clean up and organize the space under the layout. Again!
7) Paint and install more figures. Even though there are over 800 already there, some areas look like ghost towns.
8) Acquire at least another 150 vehicles. Parking lots seem to eat them rapidly.
9) Have fun.

#'s 1, 3, 7 and 9 are the most likely to get primary attention. That is if I can put down the throttle long enough!;) #'s 4 and 5 may get some attention but...
I wish that I could get into making trees like Tom O can, but that is one aspect of the hobby that I haven't fully mastered.

Just started ballasting my mainline tracks with gray medium coarse ballast. Don't know how much of the layout I will do this way as much of the yard trackage I see in some color photos of Q scenes is dark and dirty, and I already have that in my yard areas and branchline tracks. Got a lot of year-end paperwork to take care of, so it just depends on how much time I have for the layout.
Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year!

I'm currently rebuilding my layout from HOn3 into On30.
So the next thing to do before 2022 starts is to rip up all the previous trackwork and some landscape.
When 22 comes, the town of Holy cross jct will be started.
That part needs a nice eyecatcher.
As I'm a big fan of the game "Red dead redemption 2", I have found a lot of inspiration there.
What really caught me was the town of Annesburg and the mine there:
FHdIWKcWQAIiuan.jpeg

FHdF8l2XsAkRvmD.jpeg

FHdGGU1XIAM0-l4.jpeg

This will be all scratch built.

Great topic Tom.
My list is endless, but here are a few of the major objectives:

1) Finish the landscaping on at least another 25% of the layout. Those who follow my adventures in the Coffee Shop know how much more there is to do.
2) To go with that, build at least 250 more trees.
3) Make a start on the last third of the upper level beginning with the Ethanol refinery. Main line and passing sidings are already completed but not ballasted.
4) Find a handful more laser-cut wood structures to fill in the gaps everywhere. Even though there are over 300 structures in place, I need a select few more.
5) Finish the layout fascia which is about 65% complete. Then paint it!
6) Clean up and organize the space under the layout. Again!
7) Paint and install more figures. Even though there are over 800 already there, some areas look like ghost towns.
8) Acquire at least another 150 vehicles. Parking lots seem to eat them rapidly.
9) Have fun.

#'s 1, 3, 7 and 9 are the most likely to get primary attention. That is if I can put down the throttle long enough!;) #'s 4 and 5 may get some attention but...
I wish that I could get into making trees like Tom O can, but that is one aspect of the hobby that I haven't fully mastered.
Thanks for sharing Willie. Maybe we can trade painted people for trees.

TomO

I'm currently rebuilding my layout from HOn3 into On30.
So the next thing to do before 2022 starts is to rip up all the previous trackwork and some landscape.
When 22 comes, the town of Holy cross jct will be started.
That part needs a nice eyecatcher.
As I'm a big fan of the game "Red dead redemption 2", I have found a lot of inspiration there.
What really caught me was the town of Annesburg and the mine there:
View attachment 137634

View attachment 137635

View attachment 137636

This will be all scratch built.
Thanks Graff for the information. I have been following your excellent work on Railroad-line forums and MRH forums over the years. Looks like an impressive project that will be great to follow.

TomO

Just started ballasting my mainline tracks with gray medium coarse ballast. Don't know how much of the layout I will do this way as much of the yard trackage I see in some color photos of Q scenes is dark and dirty, and I already have that in my yard areas and branchline tracks. Got a lot of year-end paperwork to take care of, so it just depends on how much time I have for the layout.
Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year!
Thanks for sharing.

Well I can’t comment on your personal modeling time, but…

Take it from me. One of my regrets and not a real major one but still a regret was a lack of modeling time.
Make time even if 15 minutes every couple of days. For years I played armchair position in model railroading. But no matter when you get the time for trains, Have Fun!

TomO

My excitement to get a train rolling on my layout is almost overwhelming, so…

1. Need to finish layout design
2. Need to work on adding grades, won’t be a lot but need some terrain differences
3. Apply roadbed and wiring
4. Run a loco!!!

With the limited time I have presently even this will be challenging, but I can’t wait to see what I can get done and have fun doing it😉

My excitement to get a train rolling on my layout is almost overwhelming, so…

1. Need to finish layout design
2. Need to work on adding grades, won’t be a lot but need some terrain differences
3. Apply roadbed and wiring
4. Run a loco!!!

With the limited time I have presently even this will be challenging, but I can’t wait to see what I can get done and have fun doing it😉
Chris thanks for sharing. Layouts no matter the size are lots of work. Havefun

TomO

Firstly, finish my Woodlawn layout: Complete the Starbucks kit, detail the interiors of some buildings, add lighting, add utility poles and fences.
And then the big item for the year: design and build a fully automated portable N-scale layout (just started the thread on this).

Good morning everyone!

My plans for 2022 are very similar to Topherisme:

1. Need to decide on a final layout design, I am still very conflicted on what I want ( at least I have my 18“ radius track to run trains on)
2. I do want a slight grade and bridges still (so many great ideas out there, almost too many) Granite gorge modified and water wings or my plan that I currently have
3. Grabbed some 2“ foam the other day that I will start glueing down, I am going to have to do this if I don’t want the mess with cutting my plywood up more.
4. Build my new Xmas kits as well and keep reading.

F1A50D3F-94A6-4AEA-8109-9E1A547708E6.jpeg

Back