$10,978.69 for an N scale locomotive?

Is this N scale locomotive on Amazon really worth $10,978.69?

https://www.amazon.com/black-gauge-12605-2-FEF-3-locomotive/dp/B00NEA4HU2/ref=sr_1_46?crid=XJZB6GV4J6D&keywords=n+dcc+sound&qid=1687323977&sprefix=n+dcc+sound,aps,135&sr=8-46&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.ac2169a1-b668-44b9-8bd0-5ec63b24bcb5

N scale expensive.jpg

Yes it is, at least to the dufus that’s selling it. 😝
But seriously, you can look up almost anything on amazon and find a crazy difference in pricing.
Ive been burnt a few times buying something nice but receiving something cheap. When I went back to the listing the seller had changed it to show the cheap version so no recourse.
Amazon claims they can actually do that! 😯

As Rico says you can find crazy prices anywhere.

A guy was selling a book 'King of the Road' by Bob Tuck for £500.00.

My copy (sixth one along top shelf) is signed by the author first edition; as are the other eleven.

Do I have a fortune on the bookshelf? 🤣 No!!!

IMG_0595.JPG

David

Yes it is, at least to the dufus that’s selling it. 😝
But seriously, you can look up almost anything on amazon and find a crazy difference in pricing.
Ive been burnt a few times buying something nice but receiving something cheap. When I went back to the listing the seller had changed it to show the cheap version so no recourse.
Amazon claims they can actually do that! 😯
Some third-party sellers on Amazon are serious scammers. They pull all kinds of stunts. When Amazon finally cracks down, they simply make a new account. All the technology at Amazon's disposal you would think they would do better.

I’ve noticed over the years on Amazon, and some other places, there seems to be one or two of whatever you’re looking for that the seller wants the GDP of a third-world country for what they’re selling.

Considering that Kato n-scale steam locomotives retail in the $150-300 range, my initial guess is that it's a typo. It's being shipped directly from Amazon (not a storefront or Amazon user), so while a scam is not out of the question, it's less likely.

Another possibility is that there's a glitch of some sort in the pricing algorithm for this item. Many online stores now have semi-automated pricing that adjusts the purchase price of an item based on supply and demand. Sometimes it gets out of whack for whatever reason. For example, there was an online sporting goods store I used to look at occasionally. Certain new "coming soon" items would have a ridiculously high price because people were searching for that item, but it wasn't available anywhere yet so the system would jack up the price. When product became available, the price would drop quickly to normal price. If you think, "well that's not a very well designed pricing algorithm," I would agree.

Pricing anomalies are out there for just about everything under the sun being sold online. Our hobby is no exception.

It's being shipped directly from Amazon
Many of Amazon's third-party sellers use Amazon to stock and ship their items. You are right in that it does make it less likely to be a scam. Because Amazon will hold and eventually confiscate the scammers inventory.

However, it does not prevent the seller from grossly overcharging for an item. Amazon calls that "fair game", Buyer beware.
Considering that Kato n-scale steam locomotives retail in the $150-300 range, my initial guess is that it's a typo.
You could be correct in this case, but I doubt it.

I’ve noticed over the years on Amazon, and some other places, there seems to be one or two of whatever you’re looking for that the seller wants the GDP of a third-world country for what they’re selling.
As always you are very observant!

As they say in TV land “ but wait there’s more!”
check out the fees…

Shipping & Fee Details​

Price $10,978.69
AmazonGlobal Shipping $10.08
Estimated Import Fees Deposit$2,821.74

Total$13,810.51

I can’t find a contact seller link to ask if the price is a typo.
Feebay sellers just hate when you ask that question.

Back