00 gauge, British railway, Goathland Station aka Hogwarts Station a real preservation station in England

step by step grounding buildings
IMG_8736.jpeg

once I think it works I paint it grey for roads and pavements, you can see where I went back and corrected
IMG_8741.jpeg

this allows building to pop on and check they fit pencil around then
IMG_8742.jpeg

foam is relatively easy to fit lit lamposts
IMG_8746.jpeg

Once comfortable cut for permanent placement
IMG_8756.jpeg

IMG_8845.jpeg

adding pavement markings
IMG_8855.jpeg

IMG_8858.jpeg

as this was older homes I checked and did narrower roads, less straight, modern roads are more straight and sunless

IMG_2622.jpeg

more Bach streets
i made an initial decision as to which buildings I was using in this area
and my research matched that era
even nowadays many towns are constrained by roads set even hundreds of years before, certainly in the UK

The US had big wide open spaces and sensibly built on grids, go to any town and roads and navigation tend to be easier.
The UK did have North roads and South roads often related to Castle was over time the initial buildings have gone BUT the roads, sewage and then gas then electricity then telephones have been expensive to more, so only expensive upgrades make major changes.

If you prefer straighter lines put track pins in and hold a metal ruler against it and run the sander along the straight line, me I like the not too pristine look, horses for courses.

In the last picture, Jaz, love the sky. Certainly not a Summer's day. A feeling of 'must hurry home'.
The cutting is as it should be imo. The right amount of grass and earth. Well done.

May I make one small suggestion? Steam engines blacken the upper part of bridges etc. Use of dark powders subtly to darken the area. Don't overdo it. Many modellers do.

Keep up the very good work.
I responded to the comment and agreed.

AND I would like to say if anyone see something, thinks something might improve please please give me a heads up.

People often do not like to criticise others or be criticised (if criticism is the term at all) But I do! if people see a fault and I fix it, that improves my layout, bonus :)

On the other hand if anyone does not appreciate my comments, they need only say and I will desist. I usually only got out of my way to point out something I think can be improved IF I see that the person is likely to be receptive and that I think their work is worthy of my time (considering how much I chatter - some may wonder over that comment lol.) but I offer help to friends, if I think it will be taken in the correct spirit, and if I think it is likely to be appreciated.

Also while on this subject people can
1. Feel pressured to follow advice, if sone one to ignore my advice they should feel free to do so
2. Some people think offering beginners advice is intimidating, and unfortunately it can be
3. Often people think that someone else on the same journey in the same ballpark should be the only people to give advice (NorthBrit would fall under this imo) but that is so limiting, I take advice wherever I can get it
3, some people think their work too good to need advice from other - I personally think that stupid, if someone has a eureka moment (‘please share it) if some one has seen a good idea elsewhere and is passing it on even if they do not personal trial the idea themselves, thank you for taking the time to offer the advice, if someone thinks because they no longer have or indeed never had a layout that does not mean that they do not have great ideas, a friend with no railway working expertise (some of the best advisers) loves railways has a small shelf, and tinkers, but he often passes me really good snippets he has seen on his travels - now that is a good friend.

And as a last if anyone ever sees anything on my layout that they would like a breakdown of in case they might to try it or tweak it for their own purposes I would be more than pleased to share.

I have over time learnt a lot from other modellers of different calibres, and take help where ever I can get it.

That said I will still go off and trial totally weird ideas, because it is fun, smirks.

Time out……
this is terraforming using broken cork
IMG_1665.jpeg

just snapped then layered
IMG_1666.jpeg

painted,
IMG_1667.jpeg

darker tones and highlight whites well off whites
IMG_1668.jpeg

broken bits for rocks treated same way
IMG_1673.jpeg

foam grass added
IMG_1676.jpeg

chinchilla sand added
IMG_1680.jpeg

pampas’s grass seed heads stripped and added
IMG_1682.jpeg

plus a technical texture paint that offers. A cracked mud effect…bonus
glue water added

I wanted some steps/stairs, I had bought two previously for like 6 or 7 pounds, I knew they had stopped making them so looked at evil bay and there were several for sale at 27 pounds WTF! so I made some….
IMG_2275.jpeg
first cut PVA glue to harden and sone initial colour for definition and check the cut
IMG_2277.jpeg

corrections
IMG_2280.jpeg

ok close enough these are well worn steps :0
IMG_2586.jpeg

and not well cared for either
IMG_2590.jpeg

leading to an old farm
IMG_2606.jpeg

with a village pond nearby
IMG_9953.jpeg
almost there

Notice, I use different textures, different sizes of same textures,and toning greens, I often use bleached dead grass as well but here I did not think it needed it

Elsewhere another modeller just checked and he has 150’ x 2 of track……well first I fainted then I thought, hang on a second

44’ long loft 1, 2 sides, at least a pair of tracks all around = 44,44,44,44…so basic 176
then several areas have a number of tracks,
mining town

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpeg
    IMG_0020.jpeg
    489.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0081.jpeg
    IMG_0081.jpeg
    587.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0041.jpeg
    IMG_0041.jpeg
    613.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0040.jpeg
    IMG_0040.jpeg
    465 KB · Views: 9
Heartbeat
Yes I know you can’t see the two tracks they run underneath
IMG_7176.jpeg

dissapeared here
IMG_5866.jpeg

runs under the raised scenic area at the back
IMG_5559.jpeg

far right under scenic detail
IMG_2487.jpeg

just visible top right corner
IMG_2340.jpeg

had to bend the river! To stop flooding the track…
IMG_2362.jpeg

the raised level has a hollow tunnel
IMG_2102.jpeg

which curves around the room crosses under Hogwarts / or the RAF as the mood takes me, behind the cove and under the RAF airport across to the other side
IMG_0942.jpeg
The track before scenic detail

Crossing
the cove on a pull out
IMG_0505.jpeg

IMG_0506.jpeg

for access to window and maintenance, which to fate has not been needed
then the town to the right
IMG_1473.jpeg

IMG_1819.jpeg

I do not photograph this area much
IMG_1757.jpeg

DSC03577.jpeg

the ground level actually has more tracks to stor trains, originally it was going to be scenic at front but the cove resulted in a raised level over the top, this is at sone time due some trams,
DSC08863.jpeg

then the level drops down to Kalborough

Extra tracks
and a tunnel build
IMG_0402.jpeg

the town, the extra tracks

IMG_0543.jpeg

tunnel solution

IMG_0549.jpeg

another town above Kalborough main station

IMG_0770.jpeg

the platforms
IMG_0959.jpeg

tunnel coming into its own
IMG_1153.jpeg

the sidings in front of the tunnels
IMG_1334.jpeg

a long view at a later stage
IMG_6145.jpeg

the ‘new‘ High Road under construction
IMG_6210.jpeg

sidings

Now I have started I will do the rest of the tour, BUT there is no way I plan to try and work out how much track we laid……breaks out in a cold sweat.

be back later….got to go do something else

The sidings
items just get up and walk…
IMG_5401.jpeg

IMG_0154.jpeg

IMG_0156.jpeg

IMG_1939.jpeg

on the two on the right go all the way through, everything else joins those and provide storage
i hate that tunnel on the side some day it is gonna be dragged out and replaced
and so much floats lol
IMG_0151.jpeg

looking for permanent homes
IMG_4621.jpeg

probably one of my favourite bits of the layout
IMG_4814.jpeg

Kalborough main platforms, the layout is Peterborough, but he Art Deco is not
IMG_0398.jpeg

the two thru tracks at the back
IMG_0400.jpeg

trialled a different station just not big enough
IMG_0955.jpeg

going East
IMG_1153.jpeg

bare bones
scenic detail getting on point
IMG_6278.jpeg

half the buildings have wings though lol
IMG_0156.jpeg

I think it is 11 tracks wide at one point
IMG_4310.jpeg

although that is rarely seen
IMG_7032.jpeg

once a scene has developed Birds Eye photos are rare
IMG_7036.jpeg

you see far more trains than usual as well
IMG_8233.jpeg

and the strange thing is A4s are our favourite but rarely get photographed because on layout they are usually running.l.

the union station has changed a couple of times
at one time a church and shop with car parking
IMG_0379.jpeg

station to the rear
IMG_0523.jpeg

IMG_0899.jpeg

2012-06-10 029.jpeg

2012-06-10 004.jpeg

IMG_5891.jpeg

but I was never quite happy with it, then the insulation came into its own and a makeover
IMG_0671.jpeg

IMG_4269.jpeg

IMG_4276.jpeg

IMG_6352.jpeg

and it just felt better, and gets regularly photographed and played with
of course two tracks at the back, and loads running underneath

Now it gets scrappy, because I just have never got a feel for this area
Kalborough East
It tends to be a holding spot where I trial buildings, then re box them lol
i actually have some bits that I should have trialled here, but just not got around to it
IMG_5215.jpeg

far left union station over the Kalborough tracks looking West
IMG_1825.jpeg

looking east, the high trackers go on to St Margaret’s and into the other loft, ahead more storage
IMG_6349.jpeg
engine sheds a plenty, two turn tables not yet given a home
IMG_5216.jpeg

the odd bit has a home now but most are just left in limbo
IMG_6351.jpeg

I think the problem is this is on boards and I am now so addicted to foam, and the viaduct really needs a home
IMG_5795.jpeg

the bus station also needs a home
IMG_5637.jpeg

the odd photograph has some potential, but it is really a drive through

then there is St Margaret’s a market town, this also went through several reinventions, but it now has some buildings I like, and I added a 25mm foam so it just waits me attacking it
IMG_9365.jpeg

small areas look fine
IMG_8724.jpeg
I still need to get the road and pavement sorted
IMG_8725.jpeg

but the bare bones are pretty sorted
IMG_6368.jpeg

just the foam made a big difference for me
IMG_8658.jpeg

low relief at the end of the room
IMG_6350.jpeg

sone nice buildings
IMG_1850.jpeg

I found a sander pad so no excuses
IMG_1853.jpeg

IMG_0660.jpeg
IMG_1851.jpeg

a typical English village High Street, with market place turned carpark, except market day when the stalls get out.

Back