Search results

1. G

Moving Inappropriate Post to Correct Category

To Moderators: Another member has posted a reply to my posting for items for sale that simply displays structures he has buit and that are not for sale. This is the thread's link: https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/ho-buildings-and-structures.35265/#post-552436 Would you...
  2. G

Wanted: Walthers Shinohara HO Turnout

Shinohara #948-8801, #4, code 83 left-hand HO turnout. In brand new or like new condition only. If you also happen to have the same in a RH turnout, holler!
  3. G

CRC 2-26 Track Cleaner

I'm about to use CRC 2-26 for the first time to clean my tracks. It's in a spray can. Will it harm the plastic ties, ballast and adjoining grass, etc. landscaping if I spray it on? Or should I use a cloth saturated with it to wipe the rails by hand? Thanks!
  4. G

Static Trackside Signs

How does one know which trackside signs (not signals) to use (for what purposes) and where they would go on a layout when many prototype signs consist only of a letter, a number or a symbol of one kind or another and no wording? My GN freight layout, c. 1945-1955, is a small 5' x 7' with a...
  5. G

Guide to Railroad Symbols and Signage

I'm looking for a guidebook, website or other reference source that interprets and describes the uses, functions and placement of the multitude of static, trackside railroad signs and their symbols found on the prototype across the U.S. If they happen to be line-specific, I model the Great...
  6. G

Model Railroader Forum Log-In

Is the MRM forum still suffering the ills that befell it last year or so when the company changed customer "service" vendors? It sure seems to be. I haven't been on that or other forums since about November, 2019. When I tried logging in today (since it had automatically logged me out due...
  7. G

Color of Road Striping

During the transition era, c. 1947-1955, was white or yellow the predominant color for road striping in most states? My layout is set in Montana. EDIT: Where can I get a roll of 1/32" width tape, which looks to be true to HO scale? Thanks!
  8. G

Feeder Wire Addition

One section of track on my DC layout, which serves as a siding, is gapped at each end (on the south side) and wired to a SPDT toggle switch so I can pause or park a train there while another passes by on the adjacent mainline. If I add feeder wires from the main power supply bus wires to that...
  9. G

Walthers' Repair Service

Who else is having difficulty getting a timely - or more accurately, any substantive - response from Walthers' repair department? Four weeks ago (on November 29), I e-mailed that unit (via the company's internal system) regarding my Walthers Proto 2000 loco's need for repair. It's out of the...
  10. G

Decals on Brass

Is it necessary to prep pre-painted brass - in this case the sign boards on crossbucks - before applying a decal? If so, with what? Or, can the decals be applied directly to the bare surface?
  11. G

Wiring a Working Crossing Signal for DC Operation

My HO layout runs on DC. I'd like to wire a crossing signal such as the one in this link without going completely digital, if possible. That is, no detector circuit boards. Possible? https://www.trainboard.com/highball/index.php?media/new-crossing-signals.123324/full&d=1436201455 So aside...
  12. G

Painting Brass

Is it necessary to prep brass - in my case bumper posts - prior to painting? If so, how? And is acrylic or enamal paint more suitable for brass? Thanks!
  13. G

Crossing Signals on the Prototype

On a prototype railroad, how many crossing signs (whether they're just crossbucks or crossbucks with flashing signals) would there likely be for a single road that crosses three successive sets of tracks? One on approach to the inner track plus one on approach to the outer track (for a total of...
  14. G

Wooden HO Crossbucks

Who makes wooden HO crossbucks with signage appropriate for a U.S. railroad in the transition era, c. 1947-55? I'm not finding any on an Internet search. I'm looking for ones such as these on the Rix Products website with numerals, etc. https://rixproducts.com/product/crossbucks-milepost-ho/...
  15. G

Dwarvin Lighting Systems

I just learned of a new fiber optic lighting system called Dwarvin and am wondering if anyone's had experience using it. If so, what's your assessment of it? Here's the website's link: https://dwarvin.com/ Thanks!
  16. G

Mini Toggle Switch Quality

About a month ago, I installed nine new toggle switches on my control panel for Tortoise control of Shinohara turnouts. Each is also wired to two LEDS, one for indicating mainline direction, the other for the divergent route. All the wiring is securely soldered to the poles of the switches and...
  17. G

DC Electrical Interference

On a DC layout, will plastic covered, wire core twist ties (the typical grocery store kind) wrapped loosely around two wires (20 AWG, Tortoise-to-toggle switch) at all interfere with electrical conductivity? Even in the slightest? Thanks!
  18. G

HO Hayes Bumper

Who manufactures an HO Hayes bumper out of metal? Thanks.
  19. G

Gap-Cutting Razor Saw

I'm looking for a razor saw to cut an electrical gap (to then be filled in with styrene or another insulating material) in a HO nickel-silver track rail. I'd prefer to buy just one, though I see that X-ACTO makes the saw set in this link...
  20. G

How to Wire Two Yards Independently to SPDTs

Problem solved!

Back