HO Hayes Bumper

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

santafewillie

Even with the insulated joiners, a short can occur if a freight car with metal wheels bridges the gap. I resolve this by painting the tops of the rails for about 1/4" on either side of the gap with clear fingernail polish. Most trucks are inset enough that this isn't an issue, but there is the occasional car with trucks very close to the end of the car. The bumpers themselves are welded to the track and are made of real rail pieces like the prototype.

Rico

BN Modeller
Good point about wheels shorting out Willie!
I wonder if cutting the rails back would work as well?
On a related note, I ran into one once and boy does it do its job well! LOL

Last edited:
Even with the insulated joiners, a short can occur if a freight car with metal wheels bridges the gap. I resolve this by painting the tops of the rails for about 1/4" on either side of the gap with clear fingernail polish. Most trucks are inset enough that this isn't an issue, but there is the occasional car with trucks very close to the end of the car. The bumpers themselves are welded to the track and are made of real rail pieces like the prototype.
Willie,

Is the fingernail polish merely a visual warning (if clear polish can be seen, that is) not to proceed or does it actually prevent electrical conductance?

santafewillie

Willie,

Is the fingernail polish merely a visual warning (if clear polish can be seen, that is) not to proceed or does it actually prevent electrical conductance?
It actually prevents electrical conductance. Borrow some from your wife, note how thick it applies. Cutting the rails back as Rico asked, would not work unless they were so far apart that the wheel would drop in without contacting both sides...quite a gap.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com