Mini Toggle Switch Quality

GNMT76

About a month ago, I installed nine new toggle switches on my control panel for Tortoise control of Shinohara turnouts. Each is also wired to two LEDS, one for indicating mainline direction, the other for the divergent route. All the wiring is securely soldered to the poles of the switches and to the other related wiring.

Recently - and after having operated flawlessly for several weeks - one switch began moving the turnout only for the mainline route and lighting up the respective LED. When toggled to the divergent route, nothing happens. No movement, no LED.

For another switch - which I replaced after the first one didn't work at all - I have to jiiggle the toggle handle just a bit to get it to move the turnout to the mainline route and for its LED to light up. It works fine for the divergent route.

I bought most of these switches from All Electronics, others from Megatone Electronics, an eBay store. On a previous layout I used Minatronics switches for three years or more and never had a problem.

I'm hoping I don't have to remove them and re-install Minatronics switches, but will depending on the feedback I get from the collective brain trust out there.

Update: Just before sending this, I decided to take another stab at that inoperative switch. When I flipped the toggle, the mainline LED lit up (the turnout was already pointing in that direction), but it still did not work for the divergent route. Until, that is, I pressed down vertically on the toggle handle and - voila! Turnout movement and a lighted LED. I've tried it several times now, and it's still going strong. But for how long?

Are these switches then just of inferior quality, leading to the internal contact mechanism failing to make physical contact with the respective pole and, thus, the absence of electrical flow? How common - or uncommon - is this problem? A bad batch? Maybe. Likely not though. And are Minatronics simply that much better than the ones I am using?

GNMT76:

I have used the mini-DPDT switches from Minatronics on my layout for at least 12 years without a problem. Even after recycling several of them and de-soldering the wires, they still work without fail.

The switches are a little pricey, but worth the extra $$ after you consider the time it takes to wire a DPDT switch to operate a Tortoise Switch Machine.

I wired my dwarf, two light LED signals from Tomar that show the turnout positions to the contacts on the Tortoise which have also been trouble free.

Greg

I also have a number of mini DPDT switches. My son in law worked for an electronics outlet that unfortunately went out of business and I got a whole raft of the mini and full size DPDT switches alonf with tons of other electrical parts for nothing. You probably have just a bad switch. I haven't had any problems at all with mine either.

I liked post above by Bob about the toggle switches offered by Amazon. The prices look right!

I looked at some of my toggles switches in my parts drawer and have several which date back to the 50's and there is a a lot of differences in quality between the brands and types.

I control my DCC layout track feed and programming track with a 50 year old DPDT switch and once I did take it apart which is something that you can't do with most of the new mini or regular switches. It's a bit on the large size but hidden under throttle holders on the layout's fascia.

Greg

Like most products, toggle switches are made by both reputable brand-name manufacturers such as C&K, Mountain Switch, and NKK AND by generic makers whose manufacturing standards may not be so high. In my experience it is definitely worth paying more for the good ones. If you order switches from vendors such as Mouser or Digi-Key, you can actually choose the manufacturer of the switches you are buying.

- Jeff

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for your feedback. I checked out some of those mini DPDTs on Mouser, Jameco, etc. and came away feeling - but not being - poorer. $6-$8 or more for one switch. Yikes! I should have specified earlier that the DPDTs I'm using were all made in Taiwan and cost about $2.50 apiece. Switches from Miniatronics, about $4 each.

Are my Taiwanese-made switches going to continue to malfunction or die in a short time? What's your experience been using lower-cost mini switches?

I don't know what brand my mini-toggle switches are. I'd have to open my control panel(s) and see. I bought these from Radio Shack...must be 40+ years ago! Haven't had any problems with any of them...yet! Not sure where to go if I needed any new ones! But, I think I would pay a bit more to insure excellent quality. "Cheaper" when you consider the "cost" of time and effort needed to replace bad ones! Best of luck!

From everything I've heard, I think the Miniatronic toggle switches are probably high quality. I was just pointing out that not all switches are created equal -- same as any other type of product.

- Jeff

From everything I've heard, I think the Miniatronic toggle switches are probably high quality. I was just pointing out that not all switches are created equal -- same as any other type of product.

- Jeff

Jeff,

I'm sure you're right about the varying degrees of product quality. But I have to wonder why such a simple, totally-mechanical device like a toggle switch would perform so poorly after just a short period. Flimsy internal metal contacts and loose connections perhaps. I've never dissected one - and have only seen a schematic - so I don't know what the real thing really looks like on the inside. I'll have to keep my eyes on what I have and replace them as needed.

Here is the working mechanism of a simple toggle switch. This example has a center "Off" position.

- Jeff

toggle_switch_animation.gif

Back