Search results

1. N

Lots of Live "Train drivers view" video

I did not see this posted before, but stumbled across this youtube channel which appears to be live "Train Drivers View" feeds. Some of them are quite beautiful this time of year. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUPn5IEQugMf_JeNJOV9p2A
  2. N

Shelf or straight line layouts

Moved to a new location, I can no longer do the large basement layout I had planned. I might be able to do an "L" layout. Preface: I love continuous running trains, but I might have to bite the bullet. I could do a 4x8, but after reading all of the internet posts on why 4x8 are bad, and why it...
  3. N

A previously posted layout, how to find it?

Not to be vague, but there was a post on this forum (it may not be this particular section, it may have been in HO or something) about a gentlemen who built a layout on a 4x8 sheet. It was two towns. He had several pictures of the completed project, which was really nice. There was a wall in the...
  4. N

A map of every railraod? Here you go

Not sure where to put this, either prototype or layout. Hopefully this is not a repeat (I searched). It is... "a detailed online map of the world's railway infrastructure" NOTE: so far, when I go to the map it is SLOW, (because it is searching the entire database), but it will come up. You...
  5. N

Engine trouble, DCC or Motors or ??

Hello, I have a BLI Paragon 2 EMD SW7 Switcher. Last time it was put in the box it worked fine. So, setup a small track around the christmas tree and I fired up the SW7. It worked fine. Next day (after turning it off and on), all lights and sounds work, but it will not move. NOTE: This is HO...
  6. N

Received Track Bent, can it be fixed?

I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but I decided to try and move forward with a plan that was given to me. Well, I ordered the most expensive parts, the #8 curved turnouts. They arrived from USPS bent in the box. I took one out, and it is bent. Is there a way to bend this back, or is...
  7. N

Trucks and trains

Ran across this link today... Interesting idea. Note that most of the real information is on the steel interstate site.
  8. N

Single machine that replaces ties, ballast and track

You may have seen this before, but I have not. Wow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02pWbr9bgbA A longer one of the same operation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTmD5VSgaYk
  9. N

Back to the old layout

I have posted a few layouts, and one of them received a lot of attention, and then it turned into a large triangle in this thread. I truly appreciate the help of fcwilt, who designed the last triangle layout and made sure it was ok. After many discussions with the boss, we have decided that the...
  10. N

Train cars blown off Huey P. Long in New Orleans

I have been right by this overpass before. I had a call this morning that the weather was rough out there, but I did not hear about this until later. Empty shipping cars blown off overpass. Scroll down that page for a video. Sorry about the misleading title, this is a portion of elevated...
  11. N

How do you bring yourself to ballast/weather the track?

I have a slightly rhetorical question. I was looking at this thread, which shows great results: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?36767-Some-info-for-bwells-and-anyone-else-interested-in-weathered-track and I have seen others talk a good deal about ballasting on this forum...
  12. N

Convert Athearn SW1500 Dummy into loco

I purchased a new in the box unbuilt Athearn SW1500 Dummy a short while back, and I note that the manual shows that you can purchase the engine parts for it, although it seems outdated. Anyone know if there is a drop in motor assembly that I could purchase, and then I could DCC it from there? I...
  13. N

Modified layout and added staging

I have not had any time to put any benchwork up yet, but this has given me time to pause and look at the layout more. I have decided it might be a good idea to have some place to turn an engine around, and also to add a staging area, since I decided to move a false wall and extend the layout...
  14. N

Moved my test track, testing new DCC installs, all dead?

I have a test track for testing locs and playing before I get started in my real setup. I have an NCE power cab. I have one Athearn ATH29242 Dash 9-44CW that I purchased and installed a Digitrax DH126D in by plugging it into the 9 pin cable. I setup the track (it was setup in another location...
  15. N

Used engine came in broken, can I fix & DCC?

Purchased an old Stewart Baldwin AS-616 UP off the bay. It came in and I thought it was good, but I took the cover off of the engine and it was broken. I think I might be able to glue it back, but I don't think I can DCC this one. I thought it was a newer model and I purchased the digitrax DCC...
  16. N

Doing the right thing with turnouts

Not sure if I am doing the right thing with turnouts, and by that I mean I may have purchased the wrong thing. I am going to build the layout I posted about in the last picture of this post. I had purchased most of the track and turnouts (Peco) and I also picked up some PL-10WE turnout...
  17. N

Need thoughts on new space

I posted here a long time ago about a small layout. Well, now I have some room and would like to do a slightly larger layout. The room is about 24' wide by 16' deep with a few "immovable objects" in it, which are all posts and pipes. I can put track around them except for one in the upper...
  18. N

Accurail 3700 Series 41' steel gonddola, trip pin hitting track

I have a test track set-up for my new locos and kits. I recently purchased an Accurail 3700 kit (# 37494) which has three 41' steel gondolas. I also installed Kadee #5 couplers, as I do on all of my rolling stock. The kit comes with the draft box, so I use the included box. The thing is, when I...
  19. N

Is a layout kit the way to go?

I have been out of model railroading for oh, thirty years or so, and I own nothing. I was looking to get back into model railroading and wanted to get a "small" (e.g. 4x8) layout started up, and perhaps get a nice engine and some rolling stock. I have picked up a few magazines, read a lot on the...

Back