Search results

1. MikeOwnby

N-scale Sonic Bonnet #2: NS 1800, SD70ACC

I'm *really* proud of this one, just because it was such a bear to create and is such a unique frankencritter of a locomotive. Melding an N-scale Athearn SD70 and a Kato SD70ACe was a very interesting and time-consuming project. The complexities of the sonic bonnet paint job actually paled in...
  2. MikeOwnby

My first NS "Sonic Bonnet" is done...only four more to go.

Just finished painting this N-scale NS AC44C6M, though as long as these "sonic bonnets" have been running around (a couple years now, I think?), I'm sure I'm nowhere near the first. It's actually a Kato AC4400 that I stripped down, as will be the other C6M's, since as far as I've been able to...
  3. MikeOwnby

New ScaleTrains N-scale Tier 4 GEVOs

A halfway decent video of the two units I received last week. Dang these things are niiiiiice.
  4. MikeOwnby

Kato GS-4 - What were they thinking?

I was all set to buy one of the new Daylight GS-4's in N scale, but then found out that Kato really made a pretty (in my opinion) bone-headed mistake in the way they designed the thing. Turns out, you can only put one of their motor-function-only decoders in it, and there's no way to control the...
  5. MikeOwnby

Power-on with sound decoders

Yes, I know this has been addressed, and I've honestly googled and tried to look up the thread, but since I can't even remember the NAME of what I'm looking for I'm gonna have to be "that guy" and ask a question I know has already been answered. Sorry. I've now hit 9 sound decoders all on one...
  6. MikeOwnby

BLI Alco PA's w/sound on sale for $80

...at factorydirecttrains.com. I'm not affiliated with them and make nothing off of this, that just seems to be about the best price I've ever seen for BLI locos. I bought a couple of them myself and thought I'd pass along the info.
  7. MikeOwnby

ScaleTrains "Big Blow" beware

The ScaleTrains website, in its description, seems to indicate that the non-sound N-scale Big Blow Turbine still at least has DCC functionality. I just learned that it DOES NOT. If you buy the non-sound version, you are getting a purely DC version that has no easily dropped-in decoder, even...
  8. MikeOwnby

Alternative Facts? (aka combined signal and journalism fail)

The exact moment of impact. The vid shows before & after also. I'm sure the video was probably added at some point after the article was written, but come on! Edit your story once new info is up, genius. :rolleyes: URL for the article...
  9. MikeOwnby

Organized train room from video ashes

I hate to see any business go OUT of business, but in spite of the "picking over a corpse" feeling I got buying this stuff, it has done wonders for my train room. I'm not sure if Hastings books & video was a national or regional thing, but that company went out of business, and they were...
  10. MikeOwnby

The indispensable LHS

I just had a really great couple of hours talking to the proprietor and a few customers of my LHS. My "local" hobby shop is a good hour away and keeps rather eclectic hours, so it's not often I really get up there. But I make it a point to always buy my flex track at the very least from them...
  11. MikeOwnby

Micro-plug connectors

I'm wondering if anyone can point me to some micro-connectors that I could use to connect wires in an N-scale locomotive. Most of the plugs I've found are simply too large to practically fit in most N-scale installs, and after all the decoder wires are quite tiny and carry very little current so...
  12. MikeOwnby

Midland Valley RY layout

An acquaintance requested a video of my layout and the trains running on it, so I figured after putting in the work I might as well share it here also. It's not like this is going to win any awards, but some might find it worth looking at. Half of the layout is still unfinished, the scenery...
  13. MikeOwnby

Rapido FL9 debacle. Have they always sucked?

So Rapido advertises that their FL9 comes with a dual-mode DC/DCC decoder, or you can step it up and order the sound version which is DCC only. Then they ship all these FL9's out with DC-only boards and a coupon that (if you're lucky enough to find it buried in the bottom of the box), can...
  14. MikeOwnby

The railroad museum lives

Finally dropped about a grand on supplies and got the "railroad museum" portion of my layout going. Still a lot to do as far as trackwork that's involved on the other end of the line, but the core museum is looking fairly presentable if not fully functional quite yet. As evidenced by the...
  15. MikeOwnby

Two N-scale motors on a DZ126? Probably not...

I'm doing a DCC conversion on an older model Bachmann DDA40X with two motors. I've already ordered two DZ126's to run them. Of course, it'll be a bit of a pain to program them considering that I'll have to re-assign light functions to the individual decoders (remember the roof strobe?) since I'm...
  16. MikeOwnby

HUMIDITY! Oh yes...

All you new guys: Make your room conditions constant. Temperature is easy, but you have to do the humidity thing too. I thought I'd pop this in here just because I've seen a lot of "new layout" threads here on this forum, and a post from another place was brought to my attention. This person...
  17. MikeOwnby

Weekly Photo Fun 2/7 - 2/13

I actually have a picture that's not a locomotive I painted! Yay! Not exactly realistically weathered or anything, but this is my new petroleum distribution center. Made of three different kits and miscellaneous structures to boot in order to come up with something a bit more grandiose than the...
  18. MikeOwnby

Broadway Limited Locos (and I'm now poor)

I was already planning on snatching up an N-scale Baldwin Centipede (or two) when they *finally* came out. I'm glad I waited and didn't break down and get an HO model just to HAVE one. I love those baby-faced monster locos. Anyway...happened to run across an A-A set of UP on eBay for just $220...
  19. MikeOwnby

Weekly Photo Fun Jan 23-29

Bit of a late start, but since I had a new locomotive to show off, figured I might as well jump in and see if it jumpstarts anything. Atlas cancelled their N-scale Providence & Worcester Dash 8 that was supposed to come out soon, so what's a guy to do when he was looking forward to it? Paint...
  20. MikeOwnby

Don't drive into water during a flood...

...apparently also applies to trains. UP derailment in Texas last night. Yikes. Sheriff's swiftwater rescue team apparently did rescue the crew of two.

Back