Search results

1. GPwrangler

What's Your Favorite Model Locomotive?

That's a tough call between my scratchbuilt NC&StL 4-8-4 No. 576 and the chopped nose BB Athearn L&N Geep 461. Both DCC/Sound, and I've put a lot of work into them both.
  2. GPwrangler

1:87 Scale BIG BOY Loco Model

I built one of those kits about 15 years ago. I may need to find it and detail it up a bit more
  3. GPwrangler

Building a NC&StL J3

Thanks for the kind words. For the most part I used super thin CA glue to hold parts to the aluminum, but some silicon RTV was used as well. This was my first all-out project like this. I sure learned a lot and had to re-make many of the parts, but now I can't wait to start on another build.
  4. GPwrangler

Building a NC&StL J3

After a bit of searching and only coming up with some very expensive brass models, I decided to try my hand at scratchbuilding a NC&StL J3 4-8-4. I started with a Bachmann Overland northern that served as the donor for mechanism and tender trucks. The boiler is made of sheet aluminum from a...
  5. GPwrangler

April 2019 photo fun

Been choppin' away at some noses to make a SD11 and a GP9r out of some Athearn Blue box models.
  6. GPwrangler

Showing off in the fall...

Haven't been on here much lately, but the weather is driving me back inside. So here's some of what I've been working on lately. This summer I got involved with getting NC&StL 576 prepped for moving it to a shop where we can do a full restoration on it, so I've felt the need for some NC&StL...
  7. GPwrangler

Transfer Cabooses (Cabeese)

Here's on a scratchbuilt a little while back using mostly parts out of the junk box.
  8. GPwrangler

Might someone suggest some track plan ideas ?

Yes, they're HO Atlas code 83 wyes, which is the same curvature as the code 100 track I believe. Curves in the wye are 17"radius and 40.9 degrees each. The rest of the layout is 18" curves or bigger. I was already working on something in scarm when I came across this thread, so I figured I'd...
  9. GPwrangler

Starting a new layout with the old one

The current layout I'm incorporating is a small shelf switching layout. Here's some older pictures of it before much scenery.
  10. GPwrangler

Starting a new layout with the old one

I finally made it out of apartment life and into a house. I have a 10' by 10' corner I can use and plan to use the small shelf switching layout in the new one. But, I want it to be removable, like a small module, so it can still be portable. I'm looking to have continuous running with at least a...
  11. GPwrangler

Might someone suggest some track plan ideas ?

whipped up something on SCARM. Atlas #4 turnouts, 3 wye turnouts, and 2 25 degree crossings. the rest is flex track with an 18" minimum radiius
  12. GPwrangler

Early 2018 Photo Fun

Certainly something I haven't seen done before, but that came out great.
  13. GPwrangler

Early 2018 Photo Fun

I say its about time we had another one of these fine threads. I'll start off with the Magnolia tank car won from the most recent scratch build contest. Thanks again NP2626! A box! The begining Only complaint about this kit is that it was very light weight, but that was easily fixed with...
  14. GPwrangler

Why the huge fluctuation in participation here at the Model Railroad Forums?

Since I joined joined a few years back, I've moved twice, changed careers, and started back in school. I'm just now finally able to get back into the hobby at least a little. I'm also sharing the funding with keeping a track-day car ready to race. As if trains weren't expensive enough, cracking...
  15. GPwrangler

Model Railroading Resolutions for 2018

My thoughts exactly. Looking into FreeMo HO module designs so I can keep it around.
  16. GPwrangler

Rebuilding a Blue Box

Very nice work on this. I have always had at least a few Athearn BB diesels, and can sure appreciate how far this loco has come. Keep it up!
  17. GPwrangler

Model Railroading Resolutions for 2018

I'm determined to have at least a small layout this year. Living in an apartment leaves little space for one, but I think I can squeeze a shelf layout in somewhere. It makes me sad to see everything sitting in boxes.
  18. GPwrangler

NEW Rolling Stock: Kit, Kit Bash; or, Scratch Build Contest!

Sorry for the late response, work gets quite busy this time of year. Thank you Mark for the tank car kit, I've started working on it, and I'll post up pictures when it's finished. Again, thank you.
  19. GPwrangler

Summer of '17 photo fun

Thanks for the info on the Genesis Toot. This is the only L&N piece i have that came already painted, so I guess I'll be on standby with some thin CA.
  20. GPwrangler

Summer of '17 photo fun

I might be a little late for the "summer" part, but its still 78 and sunny here. Anyways, here's a few of my summer time projects this time around. First up is and old Athearn blue box SW7 I repainted. I had previously painted this one in L&N colors, but the gray I used didn't look right, so I...

Back