Building a NC&StL J3

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

After a bit of searching and only coming up with some very expensive brass models, I decided to try my hand at scratchbuilding a NC&StL J3 4-8-4. I started with a Bachmann Overland northern that served as the donor for mechanism and tender trucks. The boiler is made of sheet aluminum from a drink can that's been formed around a series of styrene discs to get the correct diameter.

Early in the build process. rough shape of the boiler and tender are taking place
20190308_210108.jpg

Boiler and cab fabricated. most of the details have been added at this point
20190412_192117.jpg

Didn't quite have it done before we started taking the real thing apart, so I'll have to settle for this comparison with it on the left-rear drive rod
20190413_114354.jpg

Finally got around to giving it a coat of paint
20190505_141810.jpg

20190511_123405.jpg

Still needs the cap painted red. Still not sure if i'll give it whitewalls.

little bit of the real deal
20190417_122757.jpg 20190418_121637.jpg 20190423_140243.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. For the most part I used super thin CA glue to hold parts to the aluminum, but some silicon RTV was used as well. This was my first all-out project like this. I sure learned a lot and had to re-make many of the parts, but now I can't wait to start on another build.

Last edited:

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com