Search results

1. N

Suggestions on the yard plan I've made?

I guess it's ok to do this, I'm going to reference an outside website by Byron Henderson, www.layoutvision.com Look at the section Layout Design. There are a couple of examples for sheet round and round's with yards. This may give you some inspiration. NSHO
  2. N

Suggestions on the yard plan I've made?

It would be nice to how this fits into the overall layout. May make critiquing easier. If your layout is just a round and round, I don't think you'll benefit from so much yard. I would eliminate the caboose track and the top most service track. Give yourself longer tracks in the body. How...
  3. N

Atlas availability

ModelTrainStuff has 31 items of 10 piece code 100 http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Atlas-HO-Code-100-36-Super-Flex-Track-10-pieces-p/atl-168-10.htm You may deplete their supply building your helix :D
  4. N

Fresh from the paintshop

Nice job. What kind of paint?
  5. N

Combining 2 favorite hobbies

I think a futuristic layout would be stellar!!! You could model a maglev type train, dilithium crystal mines and cold fusion packs in a boxcar. Not to mention all the mirco Halo action packs and figures. Where can I get a girlfriend that loves model railroading and plays Halo on the...
  6. N

Athearn sw1500

I too have an older BB SW1500 with a digitrax DZ125. Symptoms are the same. I took it through the Athearn tune up as described on the internet (don't want to look up the link). Sanding the communicator seemed to help the most. Although it still jumps and jerks at slow start up speeds. It...
  7. N

What's on your HO work bench ??

It's alive!! I guess we'll call this one complete. Not happy with all the wires. I'm afraid when the shell is back in place the wires are getting press against the fly wheels. Haven't done many decoder installs. I'll be ready for the next project and really cut the excess wiring away. The...
  8. N

What's on your HO work bench ??

Brains from OZ Installing brains (Digitrax) in two engines I got from Larry. Both are Athearn BB. One an SD60 and the other an SW1500. Currently working on the SD60. Hope to have it on the tracks tonight or tomorrow. Little switcher will have to wait until the weekend. Both engines are...
  9. N

First layout plan - Comments appreciated

I like the redesign better, nice job. I'd put the yard in the left lobe (seen this done many times) and use the lower space for staging or interchange.
  10. N

Can i fit this yard in a 24" wide space?

My yard area is very similar to your posting. There are 4 stub end yard lines, 2 engine service lines, a/d, mainline and industrial switching area. All of this is contained within 24.5" of bench. Is it tight? Yes. But, that's what I wanted, lots of switches :) $$$$
  11. N

High shipping

and there's one bid on it!! Is that little Tyco really worth $101?!?!
  12. N

New Layout (Switching)

Stein is brilliant! This forum and the members benefit from his expertise. Nice layout.
  13. N

Starting a New Layout--Some Questions

Looks really good, can't wait to see some track on it.
  14. N

Third times a charm - W&J

update Since I didn't get any advice, criticism or comments in re to my noise issue, I took it upon myself to not use latex caulk as a track to roadbed adhesive and just spot glue with Elmers every 10-12". I'm hoping when I cover with ballast and glue it in to place, that'll help keep the...
  15. N

Wpf 4-20/4-26

I like the second one better :D
  16. N

Video didn't embed....I'll work on it. Got it working.
  17. N

What did I do wrong??? Quick update and concern. I've purchased both a rolled cork sheet and WS cork roadbed from LHS. The WS cork roadbed is so much nicer to work with and lay down. It was reasonably inexpensive. Paid 14.99 for 24" x 48" sheet of cork and 15.99 for 30' of WS cork roadbed...
  18. N

Thanks all for the suggestions and comments. After reading the most recent DC thread here on the forum, there are valid points for both DC and DCC. What stands out the most for myself and my decision to operate DC (for now) is the size of the layout and only one operator. Running two engines...
  19. N

My track plan, finally... Would appreciate some critique/advice.

Compromise between your hobbies. Take your existing plan and extend another 3 or 4 feet. Leaving you 7 to 8 feet for other hobbies. Stretching your layout will allow a longer run, more scenic options and just spread things out a bit. You don't necessarily have to add anything else except...
  20. N

At this point either engine could advance to the yard. For the sake of this scenario, engine 3021 will remain at the brewery, engineer and conductor joining the tasting tour :D. (SW1, SW2, SW3 on SW4 off) Engine 3016 advances to the yard, decouples and moves to the service area. I'll place a...

Back