What's on your HO work bench ??

Working on making a mid '90s Walthers D&RGW Work Car Set flat car not look so plasticy:

DSC00624-sm20.jpg

Brains from OZ

Installing brains (Digitrax) in two engines I got from Larry. Both are Athearn BB. One an SD60 and the other an SW1500. Currently working on the SD60. Hope to have it on the tracks tonight or tomorrow. Little switcher will have to wait until the weekend. Both engines are getting Digitrax. The SD60 will receive the DH123D and the SW1500 DZ125.

View attachment 31953 View attachment 31954 View attachment 31955 View attachment 31956

I know the wire colors aren't to code, but I know what they are. Will post again when SD60 is complete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now open projects are:

One brass PFM Santa Fe 4-8-4 in for painting and replacement of missing details.

One brass Suydam Pacific Electric "Long Beach Twelve": and one Suydam Pacific Electric Steeplecab, both in for remotor, decoder, and painting & decals.

Jimmy Dees Bar & Grill by Foscale Models.

Pic later

Right now?
2 Proto 2000 BL2s in Wm paint, but Chessie numbers, weathering, DCC and Sound,
3 Proto GP9's, chop noses, Dcc, Sound, Maryland Midland paint
1 BB GP38 to match
5 other engines waiting in the wings,

one of these days I'll get back to structures!!
:rolleyes:

3 passenger cars waiting for the metal clips that holds the Kadee #148's on the coupler arms.:D

On my bench is a HO Free-Mo module upgrade.

On my bench is a HO Free-Mo module upgrade. I am upgrading a grade crossing to MTH operating gates. Looking forward to see how it works.
Will post a picture when done.
Thanks
Wayne

On my bench? A very old Master Creations Allegheny 2-6-6-6 that is giving me nightmares! To say this kit is "challenging" is an under-statement and far too kind. To say it is designed to separate a modeller from their sanity would be closer to the truth. But, for someone who is inherently stubborn, it keeps me out of mischief :rolleyes:

It's alive!! I guess we'll call this one complete. Not happy with all the wires. I'm afraid when the shell is back in place the wires are getting press against the fly wheels. Haven't done many decoder installs. I'll be ready for the next project and really cut the excess wiring away. The SW1500 is already lacking the extra space.

View attachment 31961

Now, a plastic tub with about 25 auto carriers, a few scraps of 2x4s, tool bits, a spool of #12 multi strand wire, saw dust and a lasar tool.

It's alive!! I guess we'll call this one complete. Not happy with all the wires. I'm afraid when the shell is back in place the wires are getting press against the fly wheels. Haven't done many decoder installs. I'll be ready for the next project and really cut the excess wiring away. The SW1500 is already lacking the extra space.

View attachment 31961

Yes, figure out where the decoder goes, then cut the wires to fit clearing anything that could damage the wires or put something (a piece of Styrene, etc.) between the wires and what could rub them.

Jim

2 Athearn genesis SD70's for wiring change. one Bachmann streamline CBQ caboose for detailing,body mount couplers and new trucks. Phil

Well I finally cleaned up my workshop since both my sons are out of the house. (They still command the garage though) and hey, I got a pretty cool work space! Funny I never realized that before. So now I'm trying to limit the number of on the go projects at one time to to keep it neat. Sunday I took this glue bomb, half destroyed, unpainted, Life like Business Center I got in a bunch of old buildings for $10 at the Wheaton show last October. The front wall was wrecked so I modernized it. I think its looking pretty good so far. Just need the store front windows and a few more details.

Right now?
2 Proto 2000 BL2s in Wm paint, but Chessie numbers, weathering, DCC and Sound,
3 Proto GP9's, chop noses, Dcc, Sound, Maryland Midland paint
1 BB GP38 to match
5 other engines waiting in the wings,

one of these days I'll get back to structures!!
:rolleyes:

Ok, some one wanted a pic, well here goes!!

View attachment 31961

What you MAY want to try (and I do this for sound decoders especially) is
wire the decoder, lights, speaker and adhere them all to the body shell, instead of attaching them to the chassis. Then I wire in a Miniatronics 4 pin connector. I wire them with the power wires to the outside of the connector, and motors wiring to the inside. This way, if I ever plug them in backwards, all they will do is run backwards, not smoke the decoder.;) In other words, red, orange, gray, then black. Then wire in the chassis connector
I'll run a strip of 2 sided foam tape inside the shell to hold all the parts and errant wires.....makes things real easy too for occasional maintenance too!!
Instead of dealing with what can act like a "canned snake" you only have 1 4 wire connector to deal with!!

Karl who makes that clamp you have??

Also can you pm me details on what you did to you GP38-2's to make them -3's for MM and also what paint you use for MMID.

Thanks
Tim
By "that clamp" are you referring to the blue & silver Dremel vice?

i never did keep an accurate count on the details, but I can you this, Cannon cab and treads, along with the air filter box, also a modified Athearn GP40 dynamic brake blister, Athearn GP40 frame and Blomberg B truck frames,, all the rest of the stuff is either Detail Associates of Details West, cept the horn mount,,I carved that from a piece of plastic angle..
Paint is Floquil Reefer Orange and Dark Blue.
gp38-3.JPG

Back