Search results

1. S

How do you cover foam board?

I finally have my bench work finished on my N scale layout. It's massive. 14 feet long, 4 feet wide (first 8 feet), and 8 feet wide for the last 6 feet. Does that make sense? It's an L shape. my question is about the foam board. I will have cork roadbeds on top of the foam, but how do you all...
  2. S

Anyone ever use this?

??????????????
  3. S

This May be stupid but...

I am in the process of building my bench work for my FIRST layout. I recently had 40 feet of stairs built and have a ton of leftover scrap lumber. I'm going to use some of this for my bench work. My question is, and it may seem silly, but since I have all this scrap could I stack it to build...
  4. S

T Shirts and Glue

I ran across a thread here yesterday where some suggested using old t shirts and glue instead of paper towels/plaster cloth. has anyone tried this method?
  5. S

Paper Buildings

Forgive me if this question has been asked, I have looked and I haven't seen it. Does anyone have a program or website they use to print cardstock structures? Thanks!
  6. S

You have a child into model trains and an extra $2500....

You have no model train experience and your kid wants a layout...where do you start? i'd like some ideas on what you would do with $2500....floor is open :)
  7. S

Planning the layout....

Ok, I plan on starting a layout project in the next several months...I have no experience other than building a train table for my sons wooden track...so i want to know what you guys do when you start...for example, what kind of track do I need to buy, and from where? ebay? a dealer? etc...
  8. S

1st Layout

Within the next year I will be constructing my first HO layout. I have some ideas down on paper as I kind of want to construct towns from my home state of Kentucky. I plan on there being a lot of large peaks and valleys. Is there a way to build a layout using ZERO wood or benchwork? Has...
  9. S

I am just getting into this hobby and plan on building a large HO layout within the next year. I want to start buying some bits and pieces (scenery, box cars, locos, etc) before I actually start building. I am here to ask what kind of track I should buy? I know there is Bachmann EZ track...
  10. S

Scratch Building..

Hello guys..I know there are some of you out there who scratch build your structures. What is the best way to do this? I have heard of people taking pictures of buildings and using photoshop to scale them down then printing. I want to do this as cheaply as possible (already own photoshop) so...
  11. S

Best Book for learning how to wire...

I have no electrical skills at all...i plan on starting a large HO layout within the next year, but was wondering if anyone out there knows of a great book that can help me learn how wire the track, led's, street lamps, etc...just getting into this hobby and i'm in over my head :)...looking for...
  12. S

I'm sure this has been answered, but...

what is the best foam friendly adhesive and what is the best foam friendly sealant for water? Thanks!
  13. S

Scale???

Not sure if this needs to be in this forum, but I have a question about scale. I am building a layout for my 19 month old son who has Thomas wooden sets. As he gets older I want to add better trains to the layout. Right now though, he has the Thomas/Brio stuff. What scale buildings, houses...
  14. S

First Timer....

Working on my first layout and I have a question about landscape. I obviously want to incorporate some hills into the layout. I was wondering if anyone has bought the pre made hills with tunnels and turned them into a mountain by covering the tunnels, or is it easier to make the...
  15. S

I am here simply because I have a 19 month old son who is amazed by trains. For his borthday, my wife asked that I build a train table. I have gladly taken on the task, but I have never made a layout, scenery, etc. I am going all out on this and i expect to enjoy the process extremely. I...

Back