I am here simply because I have a 19 month old son who is amazed by trains. For his borthday, my wife asked that I build a train table. I have gladly taken on the task, but I have never made a layout, scenery, etc. I am going all out on this and i expect to enjoy the process extremely. I just want to know what are some things I should avoid as I set up this fantasy land for him....and me....

I am here simply because I have a 19 month old son who is amazed by trains. For his borthday, my wife asked that I build a train table. I have gladly taken on the task, but I have never made a layout, scenery, etc. I am going all out on this and i expect to enjoy the process extremely. I just want to know what are some things I should avoid as I set up this fantasy land for him....and me....

Hi Stearsmania,
Welcome to the Forum first off, you'll find all the help you may need all of us.

I've been involved with this hobby for the past 60 years and have picked up a lot of info along the way but still learning too. You can take a look at some of my pictures to get a better idea of what I'm doing.

Now for your question/s:

1st: Determine the space you feel you might want/like to devote to a layout. The main reason for this is that it will no only determine the size of equipment you will be able to run on your/son's layout but also what scale is most suitable due to possible restrictions on radius's required when space may not be available.

Also, while it is very normal for most everyone, including myself to start off with a 4'x8' sheet of plywood or chip board when in reality, if your at all handy with tools an L shaped or U shaped layout with a loop on either end whichd is nothing more than an elongated bent oval offers so much more interesting viewing of the trains running as it's a total different appearance than seeing the train making the same run around an Oval track plan. Of course there have been some very interesting ovals too, but the more you can break up the run to be able to see the train make both Right as well as Left hand turns it separates things in a more realistic fashion and allows for much more operating possibilities when you want to get to that point?

Just some food for thought.

2nd. Don't start buying any locomotives or sets till you determine your space which determines your radius which will determine what equipment your able to run with out problems.

There are many other factors that also come into play. There is plenty of stuff to look at on the forum here so brouse all you want and feel free to ask any and all the questions you may have.

Btw: Where about are you located?

Ummmm, 19 months old. I would probably stick to something age and skill appropriate, i.e. Thomas Tank kind of stuff. I certainly wouldn't be buying brass, DCC with sound or high quality stuff. Unless this child is obviously gifted as a sophisticated tyke, this along with any other toys with wheels will end up under foot and as future parts doner.

Ummmm, 19 months old. I would probably stick to something age and skill appropriate, i.e. Thomas Tank kind of stuff. I certainly wouldn't be buying brass, DCC with sound or high quality stuff. Unless this child is obviously gifted as a sophisticated tyke, this along with any other toys with wheels will end up under foot and as future parts doner.

My grandfather started a layout when I was still in the womb knowing I was on the way. There was no Thomas or anything "age appropriate," and 31 years later I am still passionate about the hobby. I gather from what my mom told me the other day that I grew into it walking around with him helping him-what little one can do for ones first 8 years-build to it over the years.
I have a 3 year old nephew that loves trains and Thomas, and I envision adding an HO scale Thomas to run on my future layout, rather than build a layout centered around Thomas. As for my daughters, I am going to have to figure that one out. He is not gifted, he actually has autism, but he does connect with trains and lately I have seen him with his toy Thomas railset at home learning how to re-rail and couple them by himself.
Further, stearsmania, do what you want after you do some research. As much as this will be for your son, you will soon find it is as much about you if not more. Your son will take more from your passion than he will if you dumb it down. DCC adds sounds and lights, kids tend to find that stuff enjoyable.

Justin

Those are little hands and smaller scales are fragile. Get things that are OK to drop. Thomas helps kids relate because the engine has this human face and it smiles- really. I would start there and see if the interest holds. If it does, help it to grow. Brio wooden trains and track are actually age appropriate and fairly indestrucible. When I had a layout in New Mexico on HO, my daughter, three at the time loved to put her My little Pony dolls in the gondolas and cover them with kleenex. It was all she needed to see. those dolls going around a big dogbone. The same little daughter is taking me on a train trip across Southern Europe in April.

That is exactly what I am doing, Thomas/Brio etc... We have a wooden track set, and more has been ordered. I intend as he gets older to add to this layout and add bigger and better trains. I am starting this project with 4x8 plywood and adding an inch or two of foam on top of the plywood. Basically, I was wondering what mistakes not to make on this first layout. Thanks for your responses. I am going all out on this project and I am very excited. Also, I might add that I live in Erie, PA and my wife and son are in NC, due to the jobs my wife and I have, so the little one will be surprised on his next visit here.

I absolutely love the idea of knowing which mistakes to not make. That implies that there are mistakes you are willing to make. I don't think you can actually make mistakes with Brio, it's not electrified, it's wood. I do think that the most common mistake in a layout for beginners is just having too much track going everywhere.

From there, if the interest holds, the move I most commonly see is up to Lionel which works well with small hands but even so, the kid needs to be older to do any of that without Mom or Dad. I always hear about gifted children who work well with HO at age four but not in my world. It's delicate stuff for little hands and huge enthusiasms.

My grandfather started a layout when I was still in the womb knowing I was on the way. There was no Thomas or anything "age appropriate," and 31 years later I am still passionate about the hobby. I gather from what my mom told me the other day that I grew into it walking around with him helping him-what little one can do for ones first 8 years-build to it over the years.
I have a 3 year old nephew that loves trains and Thomas, and I envision adding an HO scale Thomas to run on my future layout, rather than build a layout centered around Thomas. As for my daughters, I am going to have to figure that one out. He is not gifted, he actually has autism, but he does connect with trains and lately I have seen him with his toy Thomas railset at home learning how to re-rail and couple them by himself.
Further, stearsmania, do what you want after you do some research. As much as this will be for your son, you will soon find it is as much about you if not more. Your son will take more from your passion than he will if you dumb it down. DCC adds sounds and lights, kids tend to find that stuff enjoyable.

Justin

Thats cool man, just so you know I have a bit of Autism my self so I can relate to your kid :) as for building Im nothing of an expert but if you already have your mind set on something, I would suggest when building looking into wood, or if you can make the table or what ever multipurpose, meaning if it was me I would put the train "environment" into a table type thing then put glass/plexiglas (or what ever its called) over it and make it a functional table with working train in it ;), just a thought...

Welcome...My soon to be 2 year old grandson got me back into the hobby as my wife suggested I dust the old stuff off and see what he would do. I now have an 8'x12' layout getting built in the basement. (Nice great room with finished walls and carpet!!!!)

He love to come into the train area and run the train. I do have an inexpensive modern diesel he runs and not my $300 pair. Sadly he's getting into airplanes....

as for this, I went through the same thing, its kinda like a faze, I loved trains and when some of the local train stores for model trains closed down and I couldn't go to the train show at the fair grounds I kinda lost interest and got into flying, and then just reciently when I got offered two train sets (HO scale like my dad had) was too hard to resist so I bought that and ended up slowly getting back into trains and model trains :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Back