Search results

1. R

Coupler/trucks

:) OK guys (and gals). I have a Bachman EMD GP-7 (so it says on the parts sheet) that has a broken coupler. I would like to change out the couplers to Magne-Matic couplers but like an uneducated schmuck I look at the diagrams of the Magne-Matic couplers (1015, 1016, 1019, etc.) and I do not...
  2. R

Working Together

OK, EVERYONE. :confused: I have been reading this forum for the last year and I have obtained some great information from the various memebers. The advise received has been great BUT, I miss the direct contact and sit down discussion that direct contact affords. I am looking to find ANYONE...
  3. R

Kato Turnouts

:confused: I am using Kato turnouts for my layout. They are the ones that have the hidden switch motors under the track in the false balasted track bed. The switches work great and they make remote control of my turnouts a snap. The only issue I am having is the the plastic frogs at the gore...
  4. R

Yard Lights

I want to add special lighting to my n scale layout. I would like to add rail yard lighting as well as freight depot loading. Additionally, I have a baseball field that needs to have lights. I know that Brawa has an n scale double floodlight (BR4012 - around $18) but what I really need are...
  5. R

Building Lights

Good day everyone. Well my N scale layout is really moving along. I have all the track and turnouts down and I have been fixing many problems with the power issues. I am also working on the scenery and having some issues with getting it to look like what Woodland Scenic has but I am close. I...
  6. R

Working with Buildings

Good day one and all. :) I have a question and request forum member's help. I would like to do some fine detail on the inside of some buildings. Items such as making inside two story buildings. Including desks, chairs, sofas, etc. I would like to include lighting inside the buildings for...
  7. R

FT Locomotives

OK everyone. Now I show my lack of knowledge. My layout (n scale 3x6) is all in modern time and has a passenger and freight depot. I will be using F7s or F9s plus others and I am using DCC. I remember the terms "A unit" and "B unit". As I remember it, in model trains, the B units were just...
  8. R

Greatest Layout!!!

:eek: The link in this post runs a 4 minute video of what has to be the MOST fantastic model train layout in the world. Everyone, and I mean everyone, must view this video it will blow your mind. I receive it in an email from a neighebor who knows that I am into model trains. She sent many...
  9. R

LED Wiring

I want to construct a layout map with bi-color LEDs for each of my turnouts. The LEDs would be showing the status of the rail beyond the turnout. I would have two LEDs for each turnout, one for the main line track and one for the turnout track. When the turnout was switched off the main line...
  10. R

Working on Locomotives

:confused: I have been given a few old (?) locomotives from a friend. Most really need work to get them to run properly. Does anyone know of a manual or guide on working on N scale rolling stock? I do not mind working on small items but I know nothing about the internal parts of the trains. I...
  11. R

Switch activation Rods

I have been researching the best type of switches to use for my layout. I like the Peco switches because of the positive spring control but I have an issue with the distance away from the switch the motor will be. The switch would be about 3" above the location of the switch motor. I then...
  12. R

Prior Message on Hill

I have just done some calculations for my rise to the rear hill. The circumference of a circle is found by multipling 3.141 times the diameter. So a 15" radius would have a circumference of 94.2 inches (30x3.141). Thus the half circle length is 47.1 inches. Now the percent grade is: rise...
  13. R

Correct rise to hill

I have a 36"x66" layout with a upper level rear. The front of the layout is flat at 26"x66" the remaing 10"x66" is a step up by 4". I am using flex track on 15" radius curves. One joined run in the front of the layout and it separates into two runs on the hill. My question is what is the...

Back