Search results

1. R

Coupler/trucks

You know the help received on this forum is great. I have done some research on the coupler issue, and also took the old coupler off, and as diburning noted the Kadee #148 is an HO and not an N coupler. In fact Kadee is only in the HO line so next step is the MT couplers like the 1015 but rats...
  2. R

Coupler/trucks

Thank you gentelmen. I will try both suggestions. I was given the idea of the MT 1015's but when looking at a diagram from MT it did not look like the Kadee #148 with the whiskers on either side. I will work on the issue and let you know....Harlan
  3. R

Working Together

OK guys (and gals). The Vista Club is great and only about 30 miles away. I will get the direct help I need. They have been operating for about 20 years and are now in the 6th year of a 10 year project to construct a prototypical layout of the Donner Pass area of CA from Kolfax, CA to Sparks...
  4. R

Coupler/trucks

:) OK guys (and gals). I have a Bachman EMD GP-7 (so it says on the parts sheet) that has a broken coupler. I would like to change out the couplers to Magne-Matic couplers but like an uneducated schmuck I look at the diagrams of the Magne-Matic couplers (1015, 1016, 1019, etc.) and I do not...
  5. R

Working Together

Thank you guys. The Vista Club looks great. I have contacted them and we will see what comes of the contact. Thank you Larry, Chrisk and Old 97 you have all been very helpful.
  6. R

Working Together

Clubs Thanks for the link "Old 97". I ran through the list, same results. There are a few clubs in San Diego and many in the LA area but LA is about 75-100 miles away which includes Burbank and the northern Orange county clubs. Maybe I should start a club of my own, hard to do with only one...
  7. R

Working Together

:( I would love to join a club. I have researched for clubs in the area and found two. One is in San Diego (60 miles away) and the other is in Orange County (65 miles away). Both these have no one on their member lists that live within 30 miles of my residence. I have posted notices at the...
  8. R

Working Together

OK, EVERYONE. :confused: I have been reading this forum for the last year and I have obtained some great information from the various memebers. The advise received has been great BUT, I miss the direct contact and sit down discussion that direct contact affords. I am looking to find ANYONE...
  9. R

"N" Scale Grade

I had to fight the same issue you are having. I set up the layout with about a 3% grade and the locomotives ran great but after attempting to add rolling stock I found that the locos could only pull three cars up the grade. As TrinityJayOne mentioned at the top of the grade I had an issue that...
  10. R

Restarting my hobby, need guidance.

Welcome back. I too have just come back to modeling and also have adjusted from HO to N scale. HO was a lot of fun and very easy to work with but too big for my small space with the idea of having a mountan, lake, rail yard, and seperate passenger and freight stations. I too looked at the...
  11. R

Kato Turnouts

Thank you for the info. I will obtain the items and do the test. More to come.....Harlan
  12. R

Celotex fiberboard layout base

I had started my layout in accord with the directions in Model Railroad's Step by Step book from Kalmbach in 2007. Followed all the steps for getting risers, mountains, river, lake etc. A lot of cutting and reforming and regluing. Very intense. Then I happened to go to Woodland Secenics web...
  13. R

Kato Turnouts

Thank you for the advise. I do have a dremel tool and I have used it in my other fixes and I thought that the dremel might be the answer but I wanted confirmation. My rolling stock was given to me by a friend and it is from about 15 years ago. I suspect the wheel flanges are the real problem...
  14. R

Getting Back Into Trains..N Scale Specific..Where To Begin!

Quick...... take a look at Woodland Scenics web site and review the videos there. They show the use of Woodland Scenics Sub-Terrain layout system. It is GREAT. It is easy and very effective for the layout. Setting up hills, risers, tunnels, etc. it is great I used the regular sheet foam...
  15. R

Kato Turnouts

:confused: I am using Kato turnouts for my layout. They are the ones that have the hidden switch motors under the track in the false balasted track bed. The switches work great and they make remote control of my turnouts a snap. The only issue I am having is the the plastic frogs at the gore...
  16. R

Yard Lights

Well I just attempted a design using the plastic tube and box as the cross member. I then ran the wires through the cross member and down the tube. Seems to work ok. Should do. I wanted to post a picture here but I do not know how to put a picture on these messages. Any help. The picture...
  17. R

Yard Lights

Well I have been notified by Brawa that they do not sell replacement parts to the towers, that if I need to have replacements, buy a new tower. Great, at $18, nice try. Well I went out on my own. I obtained a set of LED holders, chrome panel mount holders that look like arch lights. Then I...
  18. R

Yard Lights

I want to add special lighting to my n scale layout. I would like to add rail yard lighting as well as freight depot loading. Additionally, I have a baseball field that needs to have lights. I know that Brawa has an n scale double floodlight (BR4012 - around $18) but what I really need are...
  19. R

Building Lights

OK. There are multiple ways to go with LEDs. I read a post that stated that the single LEDs are very expensive when you include all the items. Well they suggested to use a string of Christmas LED lights. I got a string of 50 lights for $4.00. You can make the string into single lights by...
  20. R

Building Lights

Great job. It has worked great. Thank you very much Ianacole....Harlan

Back