Coupler/trucks

Royalhaw

:) OK guys (and gals). I have a Bachman EMD GP-7 (so it says on the parts sheet) that has a broken coupler. I would like to change out the couplers to Magne-Matic couplers but like an uneducated schmuck I look at the diagrams of the Magne-Matic couplers (1015, 1016, 1019, etc.) and I do not see one that looks like the coupler that came with the engine. The part sheet with the engine states that the coupler is a Bachman N8888-00M011 but I don't know how this matches to the Magne-Matic couplers. Anyone give me help? :confused:

They're very likely completely different! I have several types of knuckle couplers on my trains that are diffferent but all still compatible. If the coupler is body-mounted you're better off just getting rid of the broken coupler altogether and putting in one of the MT couplers you mentioned. The MT 1015s are nearly universal, I've put them on a couple of different engines without issue.

Is this one of the newer DCC On-Board GP7s? If so, you can easily install a Kadee #148 coupler. Simply unscrew the coupler plate, pop in the coupler making sure to keep the whiskers between the sides of the slot, then screw the cover plate back on. The cover plate may stop the coupler from swinging so be sure to tighten all the way, then back it off just enough for the coupler to work.

This may take some practice as at first the task may feel like it requires 3 or more hands.

Thank you gentelmen. I will try both suggestions. I was given the idea of the MT 1015's but when looking at a diagram from MT it did not look like the Kadee #148 with the whiskers on either side. I will work on the issue and let you know....Harlan

Oh whoops, I didn't realize that this thread is in the N Scale forums. I'm not too familiar with N scale couplers, but I'd suggest that you find the Micro Trains equivalent of the Kadee #148 if there is one.

There is a conversion listing on the Micro Trains website that should tell you the correct coupler. I took a quick look and didn't see the GP7 listed. There are a number of couplers that work on Bachmann equipment, depending on the age, and type, so you will need to look for yourself.

Hope this helps!
Glenn

You know the help received on this forum is great. I have done some research on the coupler issue, and also took the old coupler off, and as diburning noted the Kadee #148 is an HO and not an N coupler. In fact Kadee is only in the HO line so next step is the MT couplers like the 1015 but rats the Bachmann coupler has wings like the Kadee whereas the MT does not have wings. Contact with Bachmann reveals that the coupler must be replaced with a Bachmann coupler, others do not match. Rats, thanks Bachmann. Next, Thanks for the help guys,,,,Harlan

YOu can get bachman couplers on ebay all the time, also Atlas sells some nice accumate couplers that are compatable and these are n SCALE. MT has coupler sets that will be body mounted, but also have couplers that go inside the older style coupler boxes. The wings, fit inside these boxes

Back