Search results

1. S

Layout inside a boxcar??

No, you are not the first person to dream and talk about building a layout in a boxcar. Or in a 40-foot shipping container. But it is likely to be cheaper and smarter to just build a shed for a layout in your back yard - wide enough to allow a layout with a couple of aisles. But if you want...
  2. S

What do you think?

The one that looks best to me is picture no 2 - with the new spur running parallel to the "station". Why? It could conceivably be some kind of team track or something like that, with cars being loaded or unloaded in the triangle between the new track and the track with the red and white...
  3. S

Progressive Rail 2002

The article you are remembering is Jim Hedinger's "Progressive Rail - a busy modern industrial railroad you can model", from the June 2002 issue of Model Railroader Magazine. Can be found (and bought) from the Kalmbach Index of model railroading magazines...
  4. S

First layout - criticism requested. This is stressing me out a little LOL

Yo Zeke - are you still around? It has been four days since you started this thread. You have now gotten several responses. Discussions tend to work much better with some actual interaction between the thread starter, and the various people responding :-)
  5. S

First layout - criticism requested. This is stressing me out a little LOL

Presumably N scale (based on benchwork depth)? Couple of points: - two reversing sections. Doing the same thing two times on a small layout without added functionality is generally a waste of time and space - Tracks runs right on the edge of the table - both a risk of an accident and you...
  6. S

Crazy idea what do you think

Wouldn't it be somewhat simpler to just make a railroad that ran along narrow shelves along one or more walls (possibly with some sections removable so they can be stored elsewhere in case the room needs to be used as a guest room? Maybe have the beds be of a kind which can be be folded up...
  7. S

Critique please, bedroom switching layout plan

And your bed (and guest bed) is how big? Is it 2 feet wide or more? Are you planning to reach stuff on the layout while standing on your knees in bed, or standing on the floor reaching in across the bed and the shelf? How tall is your bed? Are you planning to crawl sideways into bed under...
  8. S

Critique please, bedroom switching layout plan

So, where is your bed located ? Smile, Stein
  9. S

Can i fit this yard in a 24" wide space?

Yes, it is from one of my two layouts - this one is an around the walls single layer layout in a 6.5 x 11.5 foot room in the basement. Distance between layout shelf and storage shelf above is about 16". Somewhere I have an old picture taken from the door of the room - found it - here...
  10. S

Can i fit this yard in a 24" wide space?

Perfectly doable. 2" per track in the yard/main part - 10" total. Add 2-3" of foreground scenery, and your yard and main will fit in about 12-13" of depth, leaving another foot of depth for the background scenery, building, industry track etc. Here is 9 tracks and a couple of buildings in...
  11. S

switch back or not

#2 - separate spur to the industry, coming off the other section. Or alternatively - #3: adding a second track parallel to the warehouse track, to be used exclusively as a switchback lead for the second industry. But that would take two extra turnouts instead of one, and maybe a slight...
  12. S

newbie starting out

The most obvious difference is the lowermost track. Try to image running trains on the track plan. To get anything into or out of the lowermost track, you cannot have much on the second to lowest track, since most of that track is used for access to the lowermost track, anything going into...
  13. S

Good news all around but give me your thoughts.

Have you installed some program to unzip files on your computer? Assuming windows, you could e.g download and install winzip. Failing that, start some text editor, grab the file content from here: http://home.online.no/~steinjr/irocsinblue01.xtc, paste it into the text editor and save with...
  14. S

No problem - here is a zipped version of the XTC file (XTC doesn't seem to be a legal attachment type). Smile, Stein
  15. S

Feel free to extract whatever ideas you deem worth keeping, and to fold, spindle and mutilate the rest to your heart's desire. In principle, both turn back loops could contain helices (helixes?), to help increase vertical separation between two decks. Just make sure the lowest level is not...
  16. S

I would think perhaps more like this: Linear - comes from under table staging (going down e.g. 6" in 20 feet of run at either end is about 2.5% slope), runs once through each scene, walk-along possible. Tries to keep track within 2 feet of the aisle (although scenery in corners and on...
  17. S

Hmm - so the layout area is the lower right hand corner of your basement? Stein
  18. S

Err - if you are hating duck-unders, why replace a simple duck under (which could be a lift-up section or swing gate) with a duck under that forces you to crawl under many feet of layout and then get up into a small hole? Smile, Stein
  19. S

You certainly could do something along the same general theme and shape - but maybe merge the two lobes at lower right into one lobe, move it it all the way down to the lower wall (creating a much wider central aisle), and put in much larges access holes in both lobes (upper left and lower...
  20. S

Despite this being based on a track plan by John Armstrong, this is a design which has narrow aisles and long reaches. John did that sometime (he was a thin man) - and it is possible that "myowngod" has made aisles even narrower and reaches longer, but by modern design standards this looks too...

Back